California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Has anyone else done this yet?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone else done this yet?

Well, I got my used tranny from a member on the boards, and just opened it up today since we were slow (i work at Bayside Transmission in Palo Alto, just started working there). The member said that the tranny had a bad 5th and 6th gear grind. I opened it up and both the synchros are bad, so I've been looking into the Carbon Synchros in the AP2, but found that it would require modification to make them fit.

I talked to my friend who works at Honda. He confirmed with the techs over there, that the new gear sets (you cannot buy JUST the carbon synchros from Honda, you must buy the entire gear set. If you buy just the synchros from Honda you will get the regular ones). So I just ordered a new 5th-6th gear set from Honda for $800 (I know, it's a LOT, but my buddy hooked me up and talked to the Parts Manager and ordered all the gear sets, and they are going to let me take the synchros from all of them.

I'll try to post some pictures up of the build, and i'll be letting people test out my tranny when I'm finished. I'm just wondering if anyone else here in the Bay Area, has yet to install them on the AP1 tranny. I'm just curious if they have found any other shops where we can get them. Since this is my personal tranny, I was wondering if anyone knows where we can get just the carbon synchros. And if anyone has felt any difference in the AP1 tranny with the Carbon Synchros. Otherwise, after I'm done, I'll try to get around to some of the meets for you guys to test them out, or you can come by the shop when I finish to check it out. Sorry Mods, don't know if this is allowed, but your more than welcome to close this if you like, just curious, and trying to see if anyone would like to try this out.