California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Hardtop install?

Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
instead of double sided tape, you can probably use some weather stripping. there's also some heavy duty foam/neoprene like material that i've used on my cars to mount front plates to keep them from marring the paint. i've used it on the rear plates and some other uses before too. the stuff works great and comes in a roll w/an adhesive backing. got it in the heating & cooling section at home depot.
Weather stripping will work if its done right but that would create a far larger gap between the top of the frame of the window. I think the wind would get through there just as fast.

Also, OP make sure the wind is coming from the top of the window and not your side windows, You can easily mistake that sound coming from somewhere its not and waste a bunch of time fixing something that's not there.

And for you guys using the soft top latches, how does that work for you? Mine had too much space between the hook and striker when latched causing a noise when I hit bumps. It annoyed the shit outta me so I evenutally thew the security latches on, But now I just don't wanna take the damn top off lol
Old 05-18-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
And for you guys using the soft top latches, how does that work for you? Mine had too much space between the hook and striker when latched causing a noise when I hit bumps. It annoyed the shit outta me so I evenutally thew the security latches on, But now I just don't wanna take the damn top off lol
when i used my ap1 soft top latch, i did what kevin did. got some small hose from oreilly and slid it onto the hook + put a hose between the hook and striker to bring the top down more. i have hardtop latches on my authentic, but i noticed that the striker and the nipple part of the latch that goes into the dip, are rubbing and causes squeaking. so i did the same method and slid part of the hose onto the hook (even though the hardtop latch hook is thicker) and that got rid of the squeaking.

if you need help dave, just LMK.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1368908836' post='22551756
instead of double sided tape, you can probably use some weather stripping. there's also some heavy duty foam/neoprene like material that i've used on my cars to mount front plates to keep them from marring the paint. i've used it on the rear plates and some other uses before too. the stuff works great and comes in a roll w/an adhesive backing. got it in the heating & cooling section at home depot.
Weather stripping will work if its done right but that would create a far larger gap between the top of the frame of the window. I think the wind would get through there just as fast.

Also, OP make sure the wind is coming from the top of the window and not your side windows, You can easily mistake that sound coming from somewhere its not and waste a bunch of time fixing something that's not there.

weather stripping comes in various widths & thicknesses. you're right though, wouldn't want to used anything too thick, or it'll create a gap/sealing prob. i haven't installed any tops personally, but i tried to pick up a double sided carbon fiber Mugen replica from Rockstar Garage in SoCal a couple weeks ago. the owner installed it, & it fit really well, especially around the windshield frame. he said they designed it to sit lower & tighter on the frame than the real Mugen, so there'd be less windnoise. unfortunately, i didn't get to roadtest or buy the top. i found a small flaw on it, and it was the last one he had in stock. this was the morning i was driving back up here, so i didn't take it. i'm going to get one my next time down there tho. it was a really quality piece.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by chViETnk
for soft top latches, go to any auto parts store and grab some air line tubing that will fit over the hook, this will give you a better grab

the problem with replicas is that the material is very thin and it's prone to squeeking and what not. you don't want to bolt the rear down too tight either or it'll squeek more.

even my authentic mugen squeeks so don't expect even a replica to be close to perfect
to expand on my previous reply. justin @ rockstar garage has a real mugen too. he said his squeaks and has windnoise too. quality of the top is important, but from what understand, a good install and brackets are what really help minimize creaks & windnoise. (grease too)

don't want turn this into an ad, but rsg's top is really nice. the weave & finish were excellent, & the fit was spot on. i have some pics in my socal trip thread a couple weeks ago (shameless plug) lol
Old 05-18-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to expand on my previous reply. justin @ rockstar garage has a real mugen too. he said his squeaks and has windnoise too. quality of the top is important, but from what understand, a good install and brackets are what really help minimize creaks & windnoise. (grease too)

don't want turn this into an ad, but rsg's top is really nice. the weave & finish were excellent, & the fit was spot on. i have some pics in my socal trip thread a couple weeks ago (shameless plug) lol
it's all about the proper install.

i had a RSG rep but fitment/quality was pretty whack compared to authentic, even with the upgraded lower/window seals from spyder562. you get what you pay for :/
Old 05-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1368915017' post='22551913

i had a RSG rep but fitment/quality was pretty whack compared to authentic, even with the upgraded lower/window seals from spyder562. you get what you pay for :/
i think spyder562 is affiliated w/forbidden, not rsg. rsg's tops are supposedly better fitting than the forbidden ones. again, can't comment on the windnoise, but from what i saw of the rsg top while it was on my car, it fit really well. the weaves & finish were excellent too. the top i was supposed to buy somehow got a small crack in it. looked like it got hit in transit or in the shop. it wasn't big or through the top, but i'm pretty... picky. lol
Old 05-18-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy' timestamp='1368915763' post='22551932
[quote name='Trustd_1' timestamp='1368915017' post='22551913']

i think spyder562 is affiliated w/forbidden, not rsg. rsg's tops are supposedly better fitting than the forbidden ones. again, can't comment on the windnoise, but from what i saw of the rsg top while it was on my car, it fit really well. the weaves & finish were excellent too. the top i was supposed to buy somehow got a small crack in it. looked like it got hit in transit or in the shop. it wasn't big or through the top, but i'm pretty... picky. lol
[/quote]

Spyder562 used to be but I don't believe he is anymore. In fact I cant remember where I heard but I think they all used to work together at forbidden and all split different ways.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chViETnk' timestamp='1368900009' post='22551601
for soft top latches, go to any auto parts store and grab some air line tubing that will fit over the hook, this will give you a better grab

the problem with replicas is that the material is very thin and it's prone to squeeking and what not. you don't want to bolt the rear down too tight either or it'll squeek more.

even my authentic mugen squeeks so don't expect even a replica to be close to perfect

ive had 2 oem's, 3 authentics, and 3 replica mugens on my car before.. there is only so much you can do with "install" on a replica.

if you want complete silence, go with OEM, its most quiet of them all and has the inner panels for more dampening. 2 of the authentic mugen ones i had were pretty quiet(one of which paul has now). my current one only makes noise depending on the weather out. i havnt touched this one at all or took the time to readjust it. i can probably make it quiet but havnt gotten around to it.

replicas make noise because of the thin walls, you can literally push in on them.

Originally Posted by tkeyyy' timestamp='1368915763' post='22551932
[quote name='Trustd_1' timestamp='1368915017' post='22551913']

[/quote]

as far as i know, RSG made their tops differently when they first started and now they look the same as forbidden usa tops. from what i know, they come from the same manufacturer. either one is hit or miss if you ask me.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:08 PM

I believe they both come from duraflex.. I remember seeing both of them have tops wrapped in duraflex plastic wrap before... A while back anyways... Not sure about nowadays.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you sure its your brakcets? it might be the rubbing of the hardtop against your car. put some shin etsu grease along the edge of your car wheere your hardtop sits. (the black rubber.

Quick Reply: Hardtop install?