California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Half-day Driving School at T-Hill

Old 03-08-2007, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Mar 8 2007, 12:14 AM
anything is possible if you do something stupid.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Mar 8 2007, 12:14 AM
Don't you take the same if not higher risk everyday?

I've personally seen very few accidents in the 4 years I've been doing HPDE/Time Trials with NASA, though I can't speak for Shelby club since I've never run with them, but I would assume the case would be the same.

Thunderhill is definitely a very good track for beginners since there is tons of runoff room and several corners were you can push the car and get away with it. Now that being said, anything is possible if you do something stupid.
Thanks for the input. It's my understanding (maybe incorrect) that this event will be 30-40 novice/beginner cars in a group on the track at one time, while the HPDE/Time Trials are more single cars on the track one at a time, or at least well staggered. Therefore, I'd expect to see a lot fewer accidents with Time Trials vs. track driving. I may be mistaken here if so, please correct my misunderstanding. That is why I am asking these questions - trying to learn.

Yes - I take risks some days, but I'm more concerned that the other 30-40 drivers in the group will be taking a lot more stupid risks than I normally would. And with 30-40 other drivers on the track at the same time taking a lot more risks than normal (group start or staggered?), that potential for accidents is what concerns more a lot more than individual time trial events. If it's a group pack start, that is what I'd be worried about. If that start is staggered, that really wouldn't concern me much. I'm new to these things so I'm just trying to get a better understanding.

It would be great if someone with actual Shelby club track experience could chime in as to how the event actually works.

And what about cross posting to Sacto?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:39 AM

very high chance i'll be here. it's still a ways away though. keep this thread bumped!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimnebulin,Mar 8 2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the input. It's my understanding (maybe incorrect) that this event will be 30-40 novice/beginner cars in a group on the track at one time, while the HPDE/Time Trials are more single cars on the track one at a time, or at least well staggered. Therefore, I'd expect to see a lot fewer accidents with Time Trials vs. track driving. I may be mistaken here if so, please correct my misunderstanding. That is why I am asking these questions - trying to learn.

Yes - I take risks some days, but I'm more concerned that the other 30-40 drivers in the group will be taking a lot more stupid risks than I normally would. And with 30-40 other drivers on the track at the same time taking a lot more risks than normal (group start or staggered?), that potential for accidents is what concerns more a lot more than individual time trial events. If it's a group pack start, that is what I'd be worried about. If that start is staggered, that really wouldn't concern me much. I'm new to these things so I'm just trying to get a better understanding.

It would be great if someone with actual Shelby club track experience could chime in as to how the event actually works.

And what about cross posting to Sacto?
Incorrect. HPDE is usually broken up into several run groups. Usually a beginner/novice group, intermediate, and expert group. Some organizations like Norcal NASA run a separate group just for Time Trial. All of the run groups usually have 30-40 cars in them. The only time you really see one or a few cars running at the same time is autox.

The group go out at the same time, but they are staggered as they go out on the track. 30 cars on a long track like Thunderhill is actually really spread out. A group start is something you will only see during a real race.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Mar 12 2007, 11:20 PM
Incorrect. HPDE is usually broken up into several run groups. Usually a beginner/novice group, intermediate, and expert group. Some organizations like Norcal NASA run a separate group just for Time Trial. All of the run groups usually have 30-40 cars in them. The only time you really see one or a few cars running at the same time is autox.

The group go out at the same time, but they are staggered as they go out on the track. 30 cars on a long track like Thunderhill is actually really spread out. A group start is something you will only see during a real race.
Thanks for the info! I'll probably be signing up then. Can't wait.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:09 PM

Voodoo_S2K @ Mar 8 2007, 12:14 AM
anything is possible if you do something stupid.
RACER
Stupid is Stupid does...
Old 03-15-2007, 11:06 PM

x2
Old 03-15-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whos going to this? im thinkin about signin up end of the week
Old 03-15-2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' date='Mar 13 2007, 12:20 AM
All of the run groups usually have 30-40 cars in them. The only time you really see one or a few cars running at the same time is autox.
The group go out at the same time, but they are staggered as they go out on the track.

It is normal to see differen't car's on the track that have a difference of 10-20 or greater mph top speed between them, meaning that it is only a matter of time before some kind of passing takes place.

There are quite a few faster car's on the track then me in the S2k, and there are a lot of slower car's then me on the track, so it is a matter of time before I would eventually start overtaking slower cars.

If your not carefull, if you dun't check your mirrors before you move about the track width, you could really cause a major accident. I have seen and known cars in an HPDE reach speeds of up to 135 mph at Sears Point.

If you pulled in front of one of those cars at speed...
Old 03-15-2007, 11:19 PM

Quick Reply: Half-day Driving School at T-Hill