California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Habitual Traffic Offender

Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaansahbaz,Dec 29 2009, 04:31 PM
okay ,

since i go to courts a lot ( couple times in a month )

i have seen people getting tickets for driving w/no license. after u get your license back , the judge will delete that ciatation. so you need to deal with the 1st ciatation that u have on the ticket,

why dont you open the users manual or something and find that and proof it at the court.

basucally, if u just got the ticket now , ur court date wont be pretty soon , just wait to get ut court date until the last day of the day u need to take care of it. and u ll pleed not guilty at the 1st appearence. the second court will be w the cop , then u have 2 chances , 1: cop ll appear and u ll show ur drivers license and the proof of ur light turn on automaticly. 2: cop wont appear and yes it does happen , and ur case ll drop

i would deal w this myself if i were u.. very easy
great advice, the only problem is, its not at a regular traffic court, its at like the big court house. So if I am found guilty, without a lawyer, I will be looking at jail time.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

You cannot show up on Jan 5th with a valid license and state on Dec 25th (when you had no license) that the ticket you got for not having a license should be thrown out. Anyone who thinks you can bend the law like that is foolish.

1 day or 1 year makes no difference under the law. Please, for your sake play this really smart.

You are looking at jail time if you don't get the habitual dropped. It's very serious and if attempt to 'fool' the judge into dropping the without a license bit because you get your new one a week later, he'll show you who the fool is. This isn't small time traffic court, you'll get time.

This is lawyer material and even than it's going to be tight. Careful the advice you take from this thread.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 AM

Well I didn't mean i'm oing to try and fool the judge, but in most instances, the no license is like a fix it ticket. If you obtain a license by the court date, most of the time, they tend to throw it out, or reduce the fine significantly. thanks for the input.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:39 PM

Majeed Samara
660 El Camino Real
Ste 214
Millbrae, CA 94030
(650) 588-7700
www.samaralaw.com

He and his team are very good at what they do. He's known in the bay area to get people out of hairy situations
Old 12-30-2009, 05:17 PM

Thank u
Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 PM

First of all, sorry to hear about the bad luck... It really does suck.

Second, review your ticket once more; make sure all the details are correct. If not, (as in, maybe he got your name or address wrong) it may be dismissed. My brother in law is a cop and he said that happens occasionally. Not too sure about HTO cases, but I guess it's worth a try to look over.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 PM

yeah bad luck blows. It seems like no matter what car i'm in, whether im passenger or driving, someone always gets pulled over. It's honestly ridiculous.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by JayJones,Dec 30 2009, 09:32 PM
yeah bad luck blows. It seems like no matter what car i'm in, whether im passenger or driving, someone always gets pulled over. It's honestly ridiculous.
I used to be the same way... I did traffic school so often, I had coupon codes! I think I was on their Rewards program or something. lol

I'll find out from my brother in law if there's any course of action that he recommends doing other then what the other S2Ki members suggest. I'll let you know if anything is worth mentioning.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If the Jetta has its headlights on "all the time" those are called Daytime Running Lights. They are NOT the same as what the cop is talking about when he says "headlights" and they are NOT the same as "parking" lights, which I think is what you are thinking of when you say "running" lights. Parking lights are generally your taillights and front turn signals illuminated. Daytime running lights are front headlights illuminated only. Headlights are front headlights illuminated fully and taillights illuminated.

It still sounds like you were driving with only the DRLs illuminated, which was not legal in your situation. The cop pulled you over because you made an infraction.

Don't make infractions and you won't "always get pulled over." Your choices have consequences. The sooner you learn it, the sooner you'll stop having these problems. Just saying!

And keep in mind that if everything had been in order when that cop pulled you over he probably would have let you off on the headlights thing with a reminder. But under the circumstances I can't imagine any cop (or judge) giving you a break. You're just not "getting it" and they're going to throw the book at you until you do. I think the best tactic you could take with a judge would be to completely own up to your poor choices and say you've realized you're doing these things to yourself and they won't stop happening until you make better choices, and now you're ready to do that.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain,Dec 31 2009, 10:33 AM
If the Jetta has its headlights on "all the time" those are called Daytime Running Lights. They are NOT the same as what the cop is talking about when he says "headlights" and they are NOT the same as "parking" lights, which I think is what you are thinking of when you say "running" lights. Parking lights are generally your taillights and front turn signals illuminated. Daytime running lights are front headlights illuminated only. Headlights are front headlights illuminated fully and taillights illuminated.

It still sounds like you were driving with only the DRLs illuminated, which was not legal in your situation. The cop pulled you over because you made an infraction.

Don't make infractions and you won't "always get pulled over." Your choices have consequences. The sooner you learn it, the sooner you'll stop having these problems. Just saying!

And keep in mind that if everything had been in order when that cop pulled you over he probably would have let you off on the headlights thing with a reminder. But under the circumstances I can't imagine any cop (or judge) giving you a break. You're just not "getting it" and they're going to throw the book at you until you do. I think the best tactic you could take with a judge would be to completely own up to your poor choices and say you've realized you're doing these things to yourself and they won't stop happening until you make better choices, and now you're ready to do that.
I think this is a good point. All of this is self inflicted.

The cop was in the right to pull you over and you were in the wrong to be driving, without a valid ID and without headlights. If you're confused on these two points arguing such might not fly with the judge, as to everyone else its very clear.

I'll share this with you. I totaled a car and almost lost my license many years ago. At that time I was 'bucking' against the law and drove like a moron. I was constantly worried about being pulled over and got several tickets pre totaling.

After totaling the car I went a few years without driving. It seemed like such a hardship, yet proved to be for the best. Had I driven within the law, I wouldn't have had to go through the loss. However I was too stupid, too young and foolish to know better. Looking back I can see how it changed my views on many things.

Since than I've gone without tickets, police seem to like me, I've gotten a warning for a little thing (burnt out headlight) but no fix it. Life is easier when I stay within the law. No tickets, cheap insurance and I don't care if a cop is at the side of the road. 70 in a 65 never gets me pulled over.

So I learned that driving wasn't a right I had. When I abused it it was taken away from me. If I wanted to keep driving I had to follow the rules.

My wife says I'd likely have killed myself if I drove the S the way I use to. So life is truly more fun. Great car and no police issues.

Food for thought.

Quick Reply: Habitual Traffic Offender