California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Greddy Turbo install opinions

Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with overbooster... but i think ct engineering is CARB legal too
Old 10-09-2009, 11:14 PM

First off I would say if you don't have a 70mm or larger exhaust already on your car don't get Greddy. (see Lewis' reserve $$ thing above)

I would say shop around also but if you plan to keep going back to TwinCam I would ask if he would match labor rates. If it's still Ed that owns that place he is a good guy. I'm sure he'll take care of you.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:51 AM

From my understanding Ed is gone. Anyway, I think that you might want to find someone who has experience installing these types of parts. If you can, then you can save yourself some money. However, the $1500 install price is close to what most shops are going to charge you. MOST GOOD TUNING SHOPS, will be able to properly install your turbo kit (esp. one that is fairly straight forward. I would ask people which shop(s) they would recommend and talking to those shops.

I for one, use N1 Concepts and Redzone Performance. I know some people love them, some don't like them, but they have never done anything bad to me. They are really great guys, but are VERY busy. On any given day, they will be working on 5-6 cars. Most of the time, they are tuning. I know that they are busy this weekend since their racecar is at World Challenge racing in the Touring Class! (I'll be there on Sunday). Anyways, talk to some shops, ASK to see some pictures or dyno sheets of other cars that have come in. Talk to the other customers at the shop, and see what they have to say about the shop. I've heard stories about almost every shop, and there will always be someone who doesn't like a place. If you don't like the feeling you get from when you talk to them, find someone else who wants your business! Best of luck.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by A51_AP1,Oct 10 2009, 02:51 AM
From my understanding Ed is gone. Anyway, I think that you might want to find someone who has experience installing these types of parts. If you can, then you can save yourself some money. However, the $1500 install price is close to what most shops are going to charge you. MOST GOOD TUNING SHOPS, will be able to properly install your turbo kit (esp. one that is fairly straight forward. I would ask people which shop(s) they would recommend and talking to those shops.

I for one, use N1 Concepts and Redzone Performance. I know some people love them, some don't like them, but they have never done anything bad to me. They are really great guys, but are VERY busy. On any given day, they will be working on 5-6 cars. Most of the time, they are tuning. I know that they are busy this weekend since their racecar is at World Challenge racing in the Touring Class! (I'll be there on Sunday). Anyways, talk to some shops, ASK to see some pictures or dyno sheets of other cars that have come in. Talk to the other customers at the shop, and see what they have to say about the shop. I've heard stories about almost every shop, and there will always be someone who doesn't like a place. If you don't like the feeling you get from when you talk to them, find someone else who wants your business! Best of luck.
I actually heard Ed got the shop back from a friend who is close to Ed. Either way just shop around if you are not liking labor prices. I do not know how mechanically inclined you are but read through the instructions a few times and if you don't feel comfortable installing it by yourself (or with help of friends)... DON'T DO IT because you could fubar things up and be worse off than just bringing it to a competent shop. Finding that competent shop will be the hard part especially if you don't have a regular shop you go to.

Just like A51 said everyone will have good and bad experiences with shops.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:28 PM

I would probably be adding the exhaust after the greddy kit is installed, unless there is an issue with doing that.

Yes, Ed did take the shop back, and I'm walking distance from my house to TwinCam so that would be great convenience.

I downloaded the manual and read through it a few times. While I understand most of it, there are parts that have me scratching my head. Therefore, I'm ponying up for a shop to do it.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:53 PM

Your car will fall flat on it's face if you are running OEM exhaust. Once boost kicks in you will be saying WTF? OEM exhaust is too restrictive. IIRC this kit was designed/based off a car running 80mm piping. You will be disappointed with the kit while you are running the OEM exhaust.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 PM

any bay area guys running a kraftwerks setup?

I'm a noob when it comes to FI and am trying to decide which route is the most "reliable"
Old 10-10-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by enginestoppy,Oct 10 2009, 06:10 PM

I'm a noob when it comes to FI and am trying to decide which route is the most "reliable"
jei@blacktrax! woot!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by enginestoppy,Oct 10 2009, 06:10 PM

do your homework.... u dont' wanna be