California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Got rear ended today :(

Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn...that sucks. I've been rear ended three times in my life, all waiting at a stoplight. My State Farm Insurance took care of all my cars quickly and very smoothly. Sucks to hear that you got rear ended Casey. Most importantly that you and everyone is okay. Well, now looks like your car will look brand new soon w/ a fresh repaint. Good luck, hope the car comes out much better than it is.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry about your fender bender. at least it sounds like you weren't seriously injured. make sure to have your car checked out by a pro, experienced w/alignments & frames, esp since your car was already salvaged. don't know what structural damage this hit could've done & uncovered.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

sorry to hear. good luck with the repair.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to play my cards very carefully and very honestly. That's how I try to operate in this world. I'll contact my own agent tomorrow during business hours to get some support from that end. Most of the damage on my car is obvious and seemingly non debatable but I realize in this world of adjusters it's all relative. I'm going to get documentation of the outcome of my doctors appointment. My for own sake I'm hoping this pain in my neck goes away soon (literally and metaphorically).
Typically it's going to break down like this:

1. Merc pays for back end of car
2. Your insurance pays for your front end and the person you hit rear

See under traffic rules unless you were hit at some ungodly speed; you were too close to the person in front of you. It might play out differently if you tell them the rock was standing still.

Just go through your insurance and let them collect as needed.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

After speaking to two State Farm insurance agents for consultation today they seemed to think differently from Rob regarding fault. I have filed the claim through Farmers insurance (the insurer of the person who hit me).

I was stopped at a reasonable distance with my foot on the brake pedal from the car in front of me. I was slammed into from behind and my car was launched into the car in front of me. Both agents I talked to viewed the situation objectively and said it's a pretty straight forward "at fault" accident for the person that hit me, and that that person should be on the hook for paying for damages to all cars.

Not sure where you are going with this but I suppose it's worth hearing the worst case scenario to help manage expectations appropriately.

I would be shocked if the outcome is that I was "too close" to the car in front of me and deemed "at fault" for the damage of the car in front of me.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck Casey. Sorry about your car.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the support and well wishes buddies! I'll be trolling around looking for body shops in the near future haha.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurance should take care of you. It doesn't look that bad at all. At least you'll get new parts to make the S nice again, but considering that everything looks cosmetic, the S is salvaged title, and you drive your S a lot, you might want to consider getting a check and pocket it.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Bummer! Glad the damage and neck injury wasn't even worse. Sounds like you're doing all the rights steps with contacting your own insurance for support, taking pics, etc.

I had a good experience at Active Auto Body in Sunnyvale. They understood my need for the car to align perfectly and were willing to replace anything necessary to get it there.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Bummer! Glad the damage and neck injury wasn't even worse. Sounds like you're doing all the rights steps with contacting your own insurance for support, taking pics, etc.

I had a good experience at Active Auto Body in Sunnyvale. They understood my need for the car to align perfectly and were willing to replace anything necessary to get it there.
Same here.

Quick Reply: Got rear ended today :(