California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

got pulled over today...(LONG post)

Old 11-04-2001, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got pulled over today...(LONG post)

My wife and I started the day in Sacramento today, headed to Roseville, met up with PaulS2K and drove through Folsom, around Folsom Dam and the sweet roads up that way, up all the way to Auburn via 49, and back to Roseville for Lunch. A Beautiful drive with twisties and wonderful views.

After lunch, we parted with PaulS2k and began our leisure drive down to the east bay for a dinner engagement. We took South River Road along the banks fo the Sacramento river all the way south, meeting up with 160, and then into Antioch. (MUCH More interesting a drive than I-80!) We then took Hwy 4 west to Mrtinez where we took Alhambra Ave to Bear Creek Road all the way over the hills. The whole trip I stayed well within 10mph of posted limits b/c we were site seeing along the route.

When we crossed the road where Bear Creek becomes Wild Cat Canyon Rd, I saw a police car (2nd car) at the light waiting to turn the way we were going. I noted it mentally and proceeded up the hill. An Accord in front of me moved over and waved for me to pass to let me make the run, so I passed and waved. About a mile up the hill, I noticed the police car had become the car directly behind me. Since I had not really pushed it, I wasnt concerned and stayed within a few MPH of the 25 MPH limit.

The next thing I know, he's coming up on my tail with lights flashing, so I figured he needs to pass. I pull over onto the little shoulder and he stops behind me telling me to coninue to the next turnoff. At this point my wife asks me incredulously," He's pulling YOU over???"

I just shrugged and pulled to the next turn out. When I stop, he asks me to stop the engine, which I had already done, then asks for my license, which I comply with as well. I asked him what the issue was and he says to me," You passed that car back there on a double yellow line!"
"The driver waved me by and pulled to the side" I replied.
"What year is this car?" he asks.
"2000" I replied.
"How do you like it?" he asks.
"So far so good." I said, wondering why he REALLY pulled me over.
"Is this car new?" he asks
"No", I said, thinking that this guy is REALLY dense.
"Let me see your registration" he asks, and I so I pull it out fo my secret compartment and give it to him. (I think it is at this point he finally figures out what the car IS... a Honda! I guess those Hesel "S" badges really throw some people off!)
He then says," you were going awfully fast up that hill."
"I stayed slow, as I saw you at the light back there and it reminded me to stay safe" I said.
"Well, do you smell that burning smell?" he asked.
"Yeah" i said.
"Thats my car from having to catch up to you" he said.
I almost made a smart ass remark about it not being my fault his police cruiser couldnt catch a car going 30mph or less up the hill, but I just nodded politely.
"You need to drive slower still ok?" he aksed and I nodded. Then he said, "There are 5 other police cars up in the hills patrolling today, so you will need to drive safe, and slow down, do you understand?"
I nodded and said "yes", and he proceeded to hand me back my license and reg and took off.
I turned to my wife at this point who says to me, "He just wanted to see your car."
I nodded and we proceeded to make our dinner engagement.
Sorry so long guys and gals, but I found it to be a rather amusing experience. Of course I may have felt differently had he actually had the gall to give me a ticket...especially on a day that I was sooo good too! Feel free to comment
Old 11-04-2001, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn! At least the CO HP officer that pulled SuzukaS2K over on our run today had the decency to find an excuse! (brand new car, no tags showing as the top was down.)

Oh, and the fact that we were doing at least 20MPH over the speed limit when he passed in the other direction was a valid reason to flip a U turn and give us a bit of a scare

Never did like the CA HP. (I actually got a ticket from one for avoiding an accident!)
Old 11-04-2001, 10:50 PM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed, i was in Folsom today. YOU DIDNT call me man!!
I thought we were buds!!
sorry bout the dick COP!
Old 11-05-2001, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by gilcwong

Now, this implies that if you were driving at a "normal" pace, he wouldn't be able to catch you

So, do you finally have CA plates on your car??
Yeah, for once (after 2 years) I actually have my plates on my car...(errr, good thing he did not walk in FRONT of the car since the plate's not there.)

The cop wasn't a real dick about it, just being a cop. Wasn't CHP, more a local cop I think, never did see what jurisdiction. Oh well.

I suppose if I drove my "normal pace", he would have just radioed ahead...cant beat radio you know?
Old 11-05-2001, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by 4igs2000
Ed, i was in Folsom today. YOU DIDNT call me man!!
I thought we were buds!!
sorry bout the dick COP!
I posted on the Sac board that I was gonna be up there with my wife researching potential hotels for S2k Days. SOmeone else suggested a drive up there, so I just went. Sorry bro. Great drive tho. You gotta try it next time!
Old 11-05-2001, 10:17 AM

From the description of your drive, it sounds like you were in Orinda.. They will pull you over for ANYTHING. They pulled me over and said I had an aftermarket exhaust that was too loud. My car is completely stock. But anyone driving through orinda shouldn't go more than THREE MPH above the speed limit. They WILL give you a ticket for 4. Fascists.
Old 11-05-2001, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by sylvainsf
From the description of your drive, it sounds like you were in Orinda.. They will pull you over for ANYTHING. They pulled me over and said I had an aftermarket exhaust that was too loud. My car is completely stock. But anyone driving through orinda shouldn't go more than THREE MPH above the speed limit. They WILL give you a ticket for 4. Fascists.
White cars with blue logos. Yeah, I seemed to remember seeing "29" on my speedo at one point, so I guess I was 4MPH over.
Old 11-05-2001, 11:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When he was walking back to his cruiser, you should've revved to 8k and dumped the clutch, yelling "Catch me now, piggie piggie!"
Old 11-05-2001, 12:48 PM

Ed,
Sux that you got pulled over! Glad to hear nothing really happened. That would have been a lousy way to end an otherwise great weekend. BTW, did you have any delays on hwy160? I heard there was a bad head-on collision yesterday around 2:00pm or so. One of the drivers ran away on foot after that!

~Paul
Old 11-05-2001, 02:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PaulS2K
[B]Ed,
Sux that you got pulled over!