California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Got pulled over need suggestion

Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not too knowledgeable in traffic infringements or law, but based on my own research and experiences you should definitely contest this, either in court or by mail.

They can definitely radar you from the opposite side of the road. The radar gun is more accurate when the car is coming directly toward you, so hiding out of the opposite side of the road works well. They'll U-turn and pull you over. This has happened to me, but I was not guilty.

On the other hand, if you show up to court and argue, the officer does not have accurate documentation of your individual speed. You appeared (by eye) to be going as fast as the one he did radar (if he did at all). The eye is not an accurate judgment of speed. He does not know how fast you were going. It is a personal estimate based on his measurement of another car. He was not driving next to you either to pace you, so it is based on his eye.

Also, it sounds like he did not tell you how fast you were going, he gave a range, which is an estimate, and he has no measurement of what that range actually is. It was nice of him to write 80 when you may have been going faster, but it is still off base. Plead not guilty. Do not infringe yourself in your argument. Officer might not show up to court, or he may not argue your statement by mail.

It sounds like you and the others may have been driving nearly 90mph. Please slow down. That is significantly above the speed limit. You were all probably driving safe just fine, but still better to just slow down.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually I didn't have a radar and was no where even close to 80 like he says.

The last two cars picke up his radar and were going 70 and were over 80 car lengths or more behind me. He wrote down 80+ for them
Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Btw he was traveling the opposite direction not parked
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone called you guys in. Had that happen to a group of BMW's I was in a few years back. They came with the first patrol car, pulled over about 6 of us and gave us tickets for no plates. However, there was a stock red e90 with us in the drive, the cop told him to leave; the driver and passenger were the whitest guys in our group lol.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Noodler
Someone called you guys in.
Either that or you were spotted by a CHP plane. It happens all the time on I5, especially when more than one car is speeding as a pack. The plane would see the cars, measure their speed, and call ahead for the patrol cars to come in from the opposite direction and U-turn to pull over the caravan. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM

He happen to let a suv go that was in the middle of our group. He just pulled all us sports cars over.

We were just crusing and not even driving reckless. I guess just unlucky. I wonder if we can get one lawyer to do all 5 of us
Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Casual speeding is always a shitty ticket. At least with a wreck less driving ticket you would likely be having fun during the process.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM

good luck on the ticket and get some new brakelines haha dont be like me!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
c) Swerving to slow traffic is a common occurence in CA it seems and usually they use this technique to slow freeway traffic if there's an accident up ahead but this is the first I heard of them using it to pull 6 people over!
i've seen this happen plenty of times. however, if the cop pulled this off without lights then there's your ticket out
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mr5parkle
file for trial by written declaration and just write "no contest" on it.

your chances of winning written declarations are usually slim b/c i firmly believe the "judge" reading the declarations has a giant stamp next to them that just says "guilty." no point in wasting time defending yourself even if you have a legitimate defense.

if you don't win, do trial de novo and hope you have a solid defense, cop doesn't show up, or you don't contest and take the punishment with hopes of traffic school and/or reduced fine. of course, a lawyer would help too.
Writing a trial by declaration is not worth the time and effort unless you you put Not guilty, But politely ask in the letter to be eligable for traffic school in advance.

This is showing that your certain you are innocent but if by chance get found guilty you still have the possibilty to have the point removed from your record. Risky? Yes, but with the right documentation to back up your statement they will pay much more attention to what you have to say since you are putting more on the line.

"No contest" is always looked at as being an admission to guilt in court. You never wanna do that, It's almost incriminating yourself in a sense.. Just my thoughts. I'll let you know how mine goes

Quick Reply: Got pulled over need suggestion