California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Got pulled over need suggestion

Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Got pulled over need suggestion

Today going to t hill a cop traveling opposite side of freeway decides to bust a u turn and tail me. I thought great that's a ticket. He then decides to get in front of me and weave around and slow traffic down. He then points to the shoulder and I pull over but he doesn't stop. He then points to the next car and another and another and another. He ends up pulling 6 cars over. I was one exit away from t hill. He comes over and said you were traveling in a pack and were all going 87-92. He said he knew the pack was going to t hill. It was 2 white s2000, 1 silver s2000, one BMW and one Audi and one maxima. Nex hing you know 2 more cops appear and hey all start writing tickets. He put 80 on mine and 80+ on a few others

It's pretty bs because a few of us had detectors and slowed down. He followed us for like 5 miles and didn't even stop all the cars just the sport cars

What do you guys think. He put down radar
Old 08-12-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fight it... only thing is ur going to have to appear in their county courts.. sorry to hear about that but hey.. now u can rage on the track
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't think they're allowed to judge your speed from objects. how do they know you were going that speed at the time, prior to approaching you?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats intense, busted a U and pulled over 6 cars, WTF!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is very interesting! I would fight
I am fighting a 111 mph ticket as well, maybe I am not the best example lmao
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I thought they couldn't legally get any radar reading traveling in the opposite direction? Visual estimate maybe but the way he pulled you guys over sounds shady to me. He was swerving in and out of multiple lanes and didn't use his lights or anything? There is no law against traveling in a pack of cars that I am aware of, it sounds like the cop broke more laws and endangered more lives than any of you.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

That sucks. Sounds like that cop wanted to meet his quota. Good luck fighting the ticket.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contest it. Some Officers can take a 24 hour course to justify estimating speeds by the eye in court. In this case, it would be nearly impossible as 6 cars were pulled over and he was in motion heading the opposite direction. The Officer should know he's just putting a burden on you and wasting your time, most likely as a lesson. The Judge should throw this out if this is all to the story. Don't want to say good luck, as you will not need it!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow this is a new one, never heard of that before but you are asking a few separate questions:

a) Can they judge your speed from oncoming lane ~ YES there are a few methods though I doubt he was using any of them

b) Were YOU speeding? Sounds like you were and just because you had a radar detector doesn't mean they can't get you in other ways.

c) Swerving to slow traffic is a common occurence in CA it seems and usually they use this technique to slow freeway traffic if there's an accident up ahead but this is the first I heard of them using it to pull 6 people over!

d) It's not illegal to travel in a caravan but usually in doing so you create a bigger target to cops for pulling you over if you were speeding or doing something illegal. Just a risk you decided to take.

I pass a lot of car caravans on the way to car shows and meets and most are in the slow lane going below the speed limit. (mostly vintage and low riders) but if you travel in a caravan and speed, you are just that much more likely to get pulled over and it sounds like that is the case with you guys.

Fight the ticket but is your time worth the ticket, your chances of winning are slim. I know if it was me I'll just go to traffic school and learn my lesson.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

file for trial by written declaration and just write "no contest" on it.

your chances of winning written declarations are usually slim b/c i firmly believe the "judge" reading the declarations has a giant stamp next to them that just says "guilty." no point in wasting time defending yourself even if you have a legitimate defense.

if you don't win, do trial de novo and hope you have a solid defense, cop doesn't show up, or you don't contest and take the punishment with hopes of traffic school and/or reduced fine. of course, a lawyer would help too.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over need suggestion