California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

got pulled over last night

Old 05-15-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dtang21,May 15 2006, 10:13 AM
I'm talking about people of all ages.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Mute,May 15 2006, 12:09 AM] To a certain point this is true... test pipes do 'technically' put other people in danger(emissions).
Old 05-15-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by dtang21,May 15 2006, 09:30 AM
I see where you are coming from and I think the answer we are looking for is that there must be some sort of middle ground.

Agreed on the test pipes but what about those of us who run catbacks that don't do anymore environmental damage than stock?

And the aggressive driving differs for each person right? I like to mash the gas to the speed limit when I'm in the clear to hear my intake + vtec, so where does that stand?

There is a large population of people (given mostly older) that mod their daily drivers for autocross/track usage and don't necessarily put other people in danger.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that mods does not necessarily equal more danger. I know for a lot of people, mods DOES equal more danger but I'm trying to protect the rights of those who drive responsibly to personalize and enjoy their vehicles.

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say "I don't want to have to forced to drive a stock vehicle."

If there are any other suggestions on how we can approach this situation, please post!
I agree with you!
There needs to be some middle ground where we can still have fun modding our cars!

I would say that I do drive my S2000 more aggresive than my previous vehicle (jeep) but thats because I feel more in control of the car and to an extent it is designed to handle, in which my jeep was not.

I guess with modding it is guilty until proven innocent, for example carb approval, and the decibel level of catbacks, all need to pass certain criteria before they are deemed "legal for use in CA"
Old 05-15-2006, 10:44 AM

Do classic muscle car owners go through the same hassle? How about modern muscle cars, Mustangs, Camaro, etc? What about Harleys?

They are certainly not any quieter than our cars! I used to own a heavily modded 68 chevelle when I was young. 8-12 mpg!! I used to race everything I could, even the blind guy crossing the street! I got pulled over from time to time, but they never asked me if my car was CARB legal. It polluted more in a year, than my Honda will in it's lifetime.

It's a cultural thing. What's accepted and what's not!!

Old 05-15-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by rhood,May 15 2006, 11:44 AM
68 chevelle
A 68 Chevelle does not require a CARB certification.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:34 PM

i have to see the ref on weds. does anyone know what they look at other than the intake that i got written up for?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by RACER,May 15 2006, 09:27 PM
A 68 Chevelle does not require a CARB certification.
Today it doesn't. But I owned the car almost 15 years ago. I believe back then, and maybe it still is, 25 years or newer required smog. It never passed. Fortunately, I new some guys at a shop.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:36 AM

***** gay cops... Hope everything goes well for u and ref good luck !
Old 05-16-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by dtang21,May 15 2006, 09:13 AM
I agree with you that there are a lot of people doing dumb things within our age group. But they shouldn't be allowed to ruin it for everyone else right? I'm talking about people of all ages.
Oh yeah I definitely agree with you!! You should be able to do whatever you want with your car... And yea those stupid people that do do stupid things shouldn't be allowed to ruin it for everyone. But I'm almost 100% sure that they do...

Take for instance if you were driving next to a Ford Taurus in your hopped up S2000, but both you and the Taurus had their windows tinted and a cop was to drive by. Who do you think the cop would pull over? I say 9 out of 10 times I would get pulled over and that's because of people racing and doing illegal things is more commonly found in cars like ours.

There are stereotypes that go along with our cars and cars like ours that we will never be able to get rid of because of the people who abuse the priviledge of owning a nice car.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:53 AM

I just got pulled over 2 weeks ago, reason, for going 50 in a 40 and no front licence plate. Then they procced to pop my hood and look for illegal modifications, he spent a good 15 minutes trying to find something, meanwhile his buddy is questioning me if I do any illegal street racing activities. Good thing everything is pretty much cosmetic as I'm still undecided about performance mods. Basically in the end, I got a fix-it ticket for being too low (headlights under 22").
I believe I got pulled over due to my Opak Racing titanium exhaust and DWB (Driving While Brown) I just fit the description. The thing is I didn't even get a ticket for my exhaust and my quick-release steering wheel. I guess things could have been worse. The funny thing is I was only driving my car cause I had to warm up the diff to do a fluid change.
I just hate when they question me with Street Racing and say that My Honda is polluting our atmosphere. I can't wait till my S2000, let alone all imports are 30 years old so we won't have to deal with emissions like our hopped-up, supercharged, NOS fed, domestic muscle cars I see cruising every weekend.
Sorry just venting

Quick Reply: got pulled over last night