California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Got an idea about a new track club

Old 01-21-2002, 08:15 AM
Red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in more track time, and I like running with similar cars. So, if this progresses, I am interested in the potential and will consider joining.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:34 AM

I really like the idea. More track time, less money!

Here is how I see the current types of Track events;

1. NASA HPDE's - This is a great place to learn how to go fast. if you have never been on a track, start here, the instruction is great, and you will quickly learn track manners, flags, and how to be a courteous driver. If you have the desire to get a race license, you will spend a lot of time at these events. The downside is that track time is only 80 minutes at best.

2. Car Club Events - (This would be like S2kdays, Miata Performance School...) I have had a great deal of fun at this type of event, you get to mingle with owners of your same car, meet people you flame online in person:), and generally have a good time. The downside: Track time is limited. Also, I think the level of instruction (on track and off) is not as good as what you get at the HPDE's, so consequently while these events are a lot of fun (especially with the S2k group in my Miata:), for the more serious track junkie, they are more of a social event. But that will not stop me from going to any and all future ones!

3. 'Track Event Groups' - Like Aaron Tachibana's events, WurthMotorsports Events, - Krazik's events would also qualify. These events are geared more towards the people who have done a few of the above events, and are looking for a low cost way to get a lot of track time. These events generally have more experienced drivers, and do not cater to the new guy as much as the other two events.

So there you have it, the world according to apex. I am all for forming the club - where do I sign. For those of you that have a concern about learning the track, here is what I suggest; if you have never been on a track, go to a few autocrosses, you may think you are fast on the street compared to that Saturn, but believe me, and the ones who spun in the conga line, you may not be so fast on the track. After getting comfortable with pylons, go to an HPDE event or 3, learn some track manners, and then come play with me and Krazik!

As far as not having run groups, I do not see that as much of a problem. You could 'grid' the cars for the first session by who signed up first. 20-30 minutes on the track at one time is a lot. Most people will not, and perhaps should not, be on track much longer than that. As for cool down laps, cars entering and exiting the track, and other things like that, the important thing here is not your lap times, but how you conduct yourself on a race track. There are a lot of open track racing events that are run this way. This is where the HPDE events are invaluable. Being comfortable with faster cars around me is a way of life for me and my miata:)

There is no substitute for seat time, becoming a track junkie is a progressive illness, just do it!
Old 01-22-2002, 08:46 AM
pll

krazik, will this club be limited to S2000s only? I'm thinking about building a Spec Miata...