California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Got an idea about a new track club

Old 01-18-2002, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an idea I had about how to run future Krazik Track events

It's an exclusive track club. A small to medium sized group of of regulars whom would go to about 4-6 events per year.

The costs won't be low, but the track time would be unlimited.

~40-50 drivers

No Run Groups

Track goes green at 9:00am and stays green till 5:30 pm (-30 minute lunch break for corner workers)

Members only get to register up until the last 2-3 weeks, at that time other slots would be sold to non members. non-members must get in via sponsorship from a member.

The goal, a close knit small group of people to enjoy CA's tracks in a safe environment. Usually the same people at every event.

Estimated costs $180-200 for thill & bwillow more for other tracks

What do you think? Just an idea.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea. The only question, is regarding handling of the lack of run groups. Since the track would be open, how would lesser (or less experienced) drivers be kept from hold up faster drivers or from being intimidated and losing it into a wall? Would there be some sort of qualification process?

I guess, if it's close knit enough, and there are ways of identifying drivers (number/color on back, windshield and side(s), and if everyone were on the same page and alert enough (no passing novice drivers in corners, etc), then it could work out alright. Hmm, and if it were close enough, someone with a trailer or the like could possibly be persuaded to somehow transport some minimum set of tools and supplies and possibly track tires for others.. hmm I'm starting to like this idea.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Cars are marked and passing rules apply to the car.

N for newbie
nothing for intermediate
X for expert

They all can co-exist just fine. The open track session at NASA on saturday demonstrated this well to me.
Add to the mix the fact that you know everyone, should avoid just about any problems with that. Courtesy goes way up with a group of regulars.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Oh yeah, not all cars would be out at once, there would be a limit like 30 at a time at thill. If you wanted out someone would be counting cars and you just wait until someone pits. Being that you get 8 hrs of track time, I really doubt everyone will be out at once.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:11 AM
pll

Sounds like a great idea. I also enjoyed the Open Track event at Laguna Seca. Would there be a yearly club fee?
Old 01-19-2002, 09:19 AM
Administrator

I am still pondering that. Maybe, but I am not really sure. The attractiveness of it is it makes the first event more expensive for non-members (trackfee + membership). If there was a charge it wouldn't be a lot.

But I don't know.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:59 AM

I like the idea. Most of the track event locally are attended by a small group anyways, with a few (like me) who will likely come in and out. The "No run groups" idea may be problematic , primarily to the beginners, as getting tailgated in and out of turns while learning the line is kind of hair raising, but I am sure we can set rules to help that along.
Since we want to encourage the sport, we may want to give beginners some help in that respect and maybe consider a few sessions dedicated to groups, but the rest of the time run open track? Just a suggestion, as that would help the beginners get the feel of the track, and the others a chance to really open it up without worrying as much about the newbies on the track.
Personally, it sounds great! I'll still get passed left and right, but that doesn't bother me. Just being on the track is a great rush! Getting mroe track time would be awesome!
Old 01-19-2002, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Being that it's a members club newbies really should be few and far between. I definately would strongly discourage newbies from coming. I am not saying that everyone should be an expert either. But if you've never been on the track before go run some NASA events in Group 1 first.

Also, with the low count of attendees on track traffic really won't be much of a problem.
When you have 8 hrs of track time you aren't gonna be out there anywhere close to 8 hrs.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:49 AM

With no run groups you may run into a few problems. There are a couple of safety issues that I can think of.
- it will be crowded early - everyone one will want to get on track first. This is the way it is WITH run groups. They start off totally full, and then taper as the day goes on.
- with no checker there will be no cool down lap - this means that when I think I want to take a break I'll do my cool down when other people are still going full bore. I'll point them by - but the speed differential will be high
- cold cars will be entering a hot track. When I finish my break and decide that I want to rejoin the group I go to the hot pits. When there are <30 cars (or whatever the limit is) they let me on. I'll have cold tires (and a cold head) for the first lap or so - and I'll be in the way. Again - I'll point by - but again, a high speed differential. Or worse - I'll get hit with red mist (when someone "slower" catches up) and I'll spin my cold tire car off.
- crazy people may decide to try to run an "enduro" I may be one of those crazy people. Having a long session is one thing - but it would be tempting to try to run for a few hours. (Run a full tank empty). This just sounds dangerous... maybe it's not.

We would have to have at least one break at lunch time - for workers. And on hot days - groups I run with "water the workers" between run groups. So we'd have to allow for this.

Finding 40 to 50 qualified people to run may be tough. And the cost to enter will be high with few people. (How much is Thunderhill?) AND finding 40 to 50 people and expecting them to be close knit is damn near impossible. Heads will butt and egos will flare up every now and then. There will be "red mist" - there always is at track events.

I think that we could do this with 3 run groups. This would also allow us to review drivers and allow them to advance to the highest run group. I would also recommend more safety equipment for the 2nd and 3rd groups. Nothing major - maybe just a fire bottle in the car and fire proof gloves (in addition to the helmet).

All-in-all I think it sounds like a fun idea.

-r
Old 01-19-2002, 10:57 AM

Another idea!

Consider emulating the "Gronski Group." I think I'm spelling gronski wrong...

This IS a close knit group of about 20 people; maybe fewer.
The events are by invitation only. You get invited by being experienced and courteous at other track events that gronski people attend.

The group piggy backs on other track days to keep the costs down.

The run practice sessions, a qualifying session and then a full race. The race is vintage rules (ie no contact).

Keep in mind that the gronski guys have "real" race cars with "real" safety equiptment. I'm not sure if a race or qualifying would be a good idea for us. That and these guys run open tracks AND vintage races AND club races. They have race licenses...

Never-the-less, the piggyback a really small group to a larger event sounds appealing.

-r

Quick Reply: Got an idea about a new track club