California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Got 85mph speed limit?

Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cali is strict dumb and poor Lol
Old 06-08-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

If you want to go fast, try this out(85 is sooooo slow)
http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

ROD
Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI all,

Before moving to here to Cali two years ago i lived in Texas for 4. I can tell you that the traffic laws down there are EXTREMELY lax compared to Cali!! Especially South and West texas. 85 speed limit is actually somewhat old news. They actually have sections that are 90 MPH on I-10 in West texas. I truely don't think Cali will adobt or accept any new changes in regards to new speed limits. Especially how broke this state is. then you got those folks who will argue that it will just increase the accident rate since a lot of people normally go 5-15 above the limit. In other words, you will have people driving 90-100 in a 85 the same way you have a ton of people driving 70-85 in a 65. The whole "Flow of traffic" arguement... Just my 2 cents. I personally would love to see this come to Cali. I seen it work and I loved it in TX but then again....TX is another state with other people with other DRIVERS... That alone is a whole other topic...

v/r
James
Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 AM

It's true the populated parts of California are VERY dense, but sections of interstate 5, especially around Bakersfield, and past Sacramento could really benefit from a higher speed limit.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Wait the speed limit in CA isn't 85? Interesting. . .

To the guy that said speed doesn't effect emissions, it absolutely does. Better mileage can be achieved in almost any vehicle by driving under the normal speed limit. Almost without question 85mph would increase emissions overall unfortunately, but like everybody else I am all for it.

On 101 and 280 it seems pretty standard to do 75-85 in the left lane. They should consider even doing something like that. Higher speed limit in the passing lanes at least. It is already the norm so I don't think it would cause any problems. Speed is rarely the cause of an accident on the freeways anyway. But what am I saying, screw the freeway, I want separate and wide one way mountain roads for each direction with drainage gutters.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Hardly worth the risk to personal safety. Consider the quality of driver in California, it's pretty darn poor, people hang out in the fast lane going the speed limit.

In order to support higher speeds, you need to get a driving population to learn the rules of the road. I bet half the people in favor of the 85mph speed limit here don't follow them.

My concern, going 90 in the fast lane to have some moron pull out of a slow lane into the fast lane without looking doing 65. It happens at 75, what would happen at 90-100 with fools on their phones, failing to follow proper rules of the road etc etc?

I'm all in favor of higher speeds. Traveling at 90mph itself is not dangerous, it's what happens when you hit something. Most cars don't crash very well beyond 65mph.

A lot of countries have higher speed limits, but they also have tougher driving tests. Just some food for thought.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you guys ever drive up to Montana ~ pretty much no speed limits there! You can drive for hours without seeing a single person around and that is both cool + somewhat eery!

West coast drivers in general suck so by introducing a "FAST" lane on a highway with slower traffic next to it is like playing Russian Roulette. Many more accidents, even worse traffic jams, etc. EVERYONE is going to think they can drive fast and BOOM, accident after accident.

People in CA already can't drive in the rain, now you want to add high speed driving with slow reaction times???

I would be scared for everyone on the highways, especially those families traveling with kids!

Texas is like Montana in some ways, much more space so I can see that happening over there.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can anyone venture an opinion about why we have such bad drivers here. I haven't traveled much so I have no basis for comparison.It's one thing to throw out some label like that but I'm curious about the evidence or at least the justification.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:42 PM

lol its true. but then again texas has a lot of speed traps because of their speed limits as well, you're doing fine at 85 speed limit then prolly three miles down it would be 55 speed limit. so yeah. haha. but one things for sure texans don't drive like californians do. they are somewhat more civilized. did i tell you that you can also ride your motorcycle in texas without helmets? lol it tripped me out!

Quick Reply: Got 85mph speed limit?