California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Gas Prices Jump on Oct 3

Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Sooo ummmm Casey, how much?

Originally Posted by andrewhake
You must just be a blast to be around.. You don't give me much slack? Am I on your leash?
Rob's great people to be around. Not sure why he presents himself in such aggressive manners on the interwebs. I don't think he has a high tolerance for mis-information, or something . But every occassion I've spent with him has been a pleasure.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks for the wonderful insight. My life would be worse without your knowledge.

So you think a giant explosion at a refinery has nothing to do with the recent increase in fuel prices close to said giant f@#king explosion? I didn't say a single word about the overall rise in prices or US prices vs. world prices, by the way.
Sorry I failed to explain the micro level.

California has the toughest regulations on gas. Defining the blend all the way to the point of sale requirements. My understanding is gas sold in CA must be refined in CA. so supply/demand kick in.

It also explains, the higher cost to refine and retail the product, why you pay more for the product in CA.

This is why your desire to more tightly regulate the sale seemed so stupid a comment to me. If you want lower costs you need less regulation. But get ready for dirty air.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1349477850' post='22062443
Sooo ummmm Casey, how much?

You must just be a blast to be around.. You don't give me much slack? Am I on your leash?
Rob's great people to be around. Not sure why he presents himself in such aggressive manners on the interwebs. I don't think he has a high tolerance for mis-information, or something . But every occassion I've spent with him has been a pleasure.
Yeah I'm just being direct. It's probably because I'm at work. I don't have much tolerance for mis-informed complaints about things like gas.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1349477497' post='22062432
andrew's pretty much an ass in his comments so I don't give him much slack.
We probably wouldn't get along very well. I don't suffer fools well. I say it as it is. Slack as in if you act stupid, say stupid things and swear alot - I'll call it as I see it.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
This is why your desire to more tightly regulate the sale seemed so stupid a comment to me. If you want lower costs you need less regulation. But get ready for dirty air.
There's so much truth in this.

Being that I've been around big oil my whole life (my father since I was born was in the industry, and now me), I've really grown to understand what are reasonable reasons to hate big oil; and what aren't. One of the most misunderstood aspects in the price of gas; and the necessity of hoaring of profits of their companies, is in regulations, or specifically their at times whimsical modifications. When my father was a liaison between the state of California and Valero's refinery, you wouldn't believe some of the inane and insane stuff that would come their way.

The state would say you have to do a process this particular way, which was different from how they did the procedure. They'd make the investment. Then not long after, that investment became obsolete because of more regulations; or had to make further investments into that equipment to modify it. But even then, it's usually the small stuff that adds up. Everytime your *Insert some branch/division of gov't* changes something stupid like; all light bulbs have to be under 70W instead of 85W; or you can not use a flathead screws in places where pressures over 200psi; costs sky rocket.

Now I'm not here to suggest whether those regulations are right or wrong, good or bad, but what I am suggesting to some degree is: If you want to bitch about the price of gas go right ahead, but don't ever support a legislator who will put a gun to their head telling them to spend capital "for x reason". At the same time, if you spend your time wallowing in how evil Big Oil is and how everything wrong they do be stopped; don't open your mouth about price, because it's your intentions that have driven them up.

With first and second-hand experience in see'ing the way looming regulation(s) can threaten an entities bank account, it's become no shock to me that these industries hoard so much capital. That and oil accidents get costly fast .

You're also correct (AFAIK) in your understanding of CA's to market requirements for CA gas. I imagine there's gateways for out of state gas if there was ever some sort of extreme circumstances; though knowing the efficiency of this state, I'm probably giving them too much credit.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 PM

Interesting enough this came in my e-mail, specific info has been redacted

Gasoline prices across California have risen this week due to a variety of short-term supply disruptions at various refineries within the state.

As a ------- employee, you may find yourself fielding questions from family and friends about the reasons for increasing prices at the pump.

Here are some facts you can share:

• Gasoline prices are determined by the market forces of supply, demand and competition.
• Gasoline supply is currently constrained in the state due to supply disruptions at a number of refineries in California.
• Supply is also impacted as the industry draws down its fuel inventories while it transitions from summer to winter gasoline formulas as mandated by the state.
California has the strictest standards for its gasoline formula in the nation, making it difficult to import gasoline supplies to meet local supply shortages.
• Outside of California, average gasoline prices dropped in the last several weeks with the overall decline in crude oil prices reflecting supply and demand fundamentals in other parts of the country.
• ------ continues to meet its customers’ demand for transportation fuels.
• You may have seen in the news that ----- ----- California Pipeline has been temporarily shutdown. This pipeline carries crude oil and not finished transportation fuels; we cannot speculate if the shutdown will affect gasoline prices as all refineries have alternate means for receiving crude.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1349475267' post='22062344
Thanks for the wonderful insight. My life would be worse without your knowledge.

So you think a giant explosion at a refinery has nothing to do with the recent increase in fuel prices close to said giant f@#king explosion? I didn't say a single word about the overall rise in prices or US prices vs. world prices, by the way.
Sorry I failed to explain the micro level.

California has the toughest regulations on gas. Defining the blend all the way to the point of sale requirements. My understanding is gas sold in CA must be refined in CA. so supply/demand kick in.

It also explains, the higher cost to refine and retail the product, why you pay more for the product in CA.

You read my comment as bitching about the price of gas? I will happily pay $10/gallon, I love driving, and am happy to pay a premium for it, I was bitching (and trying to do so in a humorous manner) about the people that think they deserve a piece of the profits that come from the sale of gas and literally do f@#k all. You guys really don't think the oil industry is full of people who just leech off of it and provide nothing in return?

I am not saying the prices of gas were raised for any reason other than supply and demand, I am saying it is wrong how many people take advantage of the situation so they can buy a nicer summer home, people that literally do no work to drive the industry or even supply gasoline.

Also, this is a stupid f@#king conversation. Good bye.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice email you got there. Was that from an oil company?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all over the world
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Nice email you got there. Was that from an oil company?
Being that I'm a big oil employee, yes

Quick Reply: Gas Prices Jump on Oct 3