California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Gas Mileage and Gas Expense Statistics

Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1364424983' post='22433186
[quote name='EuroBoutique' timestamp='1364424779' post='22433174']
Very cool data for sure!

However I must say you must have way too much free time on your hands LOL holy cow I would lose track after my 2nd tank haha
It's an app Rick. He plugs in 3 points of data. It tracks all the rest.

It's certainly interesting. Years ago I stopped tracking this stuff. Fill and go. It's fun when others do it
Yeah the real labor is the simple task of rembering to get the receipt and note the odometer reading. For the first year of tracking I did not have a smart phone so I would just keep receipts and enter the data through the website. I think they came out with an app recently but before I just used the browser on my phone.

I'd say my data analysis took 1-2 hours with lots of distractions. I was clunking around with that trend graph for too long trying To be artistic. Haven't used excel much because I normally use SPSS. Yuck...SPSS!
[/quote]

Eww, SPSS. Give me VBA and an Excel macro any day.

I stopped tracking this kind of stuff from fillups after I got a Scangauge and just tracked that data on the fly. I know to shoot for >500 miles of range on the Accord to be getting good mileage, and over 30 MPG for an average trip. That's actually pretty tough to accomplish considering the Accord has the same power as the S2000 and weighs 500 pounds more. I tend to do a lot of drafting and "Just say no to the brake" on my commute. You gotta make it fun somehow!

Interesting related Scangauge info: Honda ECUs use a smart algorithm for alternator field engagement, preferring to run the field and charge the battery when the car is coasting to maximize mileage. With low electric loads (like just the radio), the alternator will start turning itself off after just a few minutes of post-crank recharge time, and can go for several minutes at a stretch without engaging again. Lift off the throttle and it pops back on, get back on the throttle and it turns off again. Flip on your interior fan or headlights and the alternator still needs to run almost all the time. Slightly less related info: The alternator makes significantly more voltage when cold (~14.7 volts) than it does when hot (~13.9 volts).

I looked into using the alternator in reverse with deep cycle batteries to create a mild hybrid (they are good for 1-2 HP), but the controllers are too complicated for my non electric-engineer brain to fathom.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good data!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:41 AM

ive been using fuelly the last 2 years on my car. Here's my data

https://www.box.com/s/rsa02wyuzoomflhomne9
https://www.box.com/s/32oncfyq6uffp9oacurr
https://www.box.com/s/gi2r1cgmvqi6iofioj85
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM

I can see the value of this information if you can use it to highlight potential engine issues via decerased MPG but I tend to question the value of gathering data that isn't used for any purpose. From reading your previous postings you seem like a pretty sharp guy so I'm curious, and for my own learning, how do you use this data?

Seems interesting but isn't this like tracking 1/4 mile times for Hybrid?

I have an Accord for commuting and other vehicles for playin. Gas mileage is not a consideration for my playin vehicles.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Offtrack
I can see the value of this information if you can use it to highlight potential engine issues via decerased MPG but I tend to question the value of gathering data that isn't used for any purpose. From reading your previous postings you seem like a pretty sharp guy so I'm curious, and for my own learning, how do you use this data?

I have an Accord for commuting and other vehicles for playin. Gas mileage is not a consideration for my playin vehicles.
I agree the utility is not high for this data. I like playing with the numbers so I get a little pleasure from organizing things. Most useful thing is to remind myself how the mileage changed based on driving style and location. For example I get like 14-16 mph on a pure mountain tank. If I'm looking at highway I get like 26. Also helps me know my budget because I can see a real time accurate monthly or weekly expense and can adjust other spending habits accordingly.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by Offtrack' timestamp='1364489189' post='22434861

I agree the utility is not high for this data. I like playing with the numbers so I get a little pleasure from organizing things. Most useful thing is to remind myself how the mileage changed based on driving style and location. For example I get like 14-16 mph on a pure mountain tank. If I'm looking at highway I get like 26. Also helps me know my budget because I can see a real time accurate monthly or weekly expense and can adjust other spending habits accordingly.
I see. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 PM

Whaat. I get 14-16 driving the mountains too. But in traffic in SF "mountains"