California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Gas Mileage and Gas Expense Statistics

Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Gas Mileage and Gas Expense Statistics

As many have probably seen in my signature, I've been tracking my 2004 Honda S2000's gas mileage using "Fuelly" for over two years. I've copied below a compilation of some interesting data that ya'll might find interesting.

For the math-minded...I'm not the most statistically minded person. However, being a psychologist by trade, the math requirement through undergrad and grad school necessitated mastery of statistics over other forms of math. Don't expect any hard core multiple linear regressions here, it's all basic "descriptive statistics".

Fuelly lets you track mileage by simply entering four data points: 'date, gas price, mileage, and gallons' for each fill up. Fuelly does it's own job of "cleaning the data" (removing outliers), by flagging an extraordinarily high or low MPG for immediate correction. Fuelly allows you to input "partial" or "missing" fuel-ups, basically allowing you to keep some data like price/gallons, and maintains accurate averages to avoid skewing with outliers. The website also lets you export the data to an excel file for some extended analysis.

Some relevant notes should include that I primarily drive my car in the mountains, and in a 'spirited' manner. I rarely "commute" (considering I've walked to work for the last 1.5 years). Prior, I had a 15 minute one-way drive to work. Thus, the data below is not necessarily applicable to everyone as far as gas mileage goes. Interestingly, the pure gas-price data is relevant to everyone. When reviewing gas prices, note that my fill ups have primarily been in Los Altos, CA and Walnut Creek, CA. Of course, always premium. I'm not a stickler to any specific brand of gas, but it's mostly Arco and Shell.

Total overall date range for the data presented below:
8/27/10 - 3/23/13

...that's 2 years, 6 months, 24 days
...that's 939 days
...that's 134 weeks (rounded down)
...that's 22,536 hours
...that's 1,352,160 minutes
...that's 81,129,600 seconds

Total overall miles tracked:

Total overall number of fuel-ups:

Total overall number of gallons of fuel consumed:

Total overall average of MPG:

Total overall average of miles driven between fill ups:
(Obvious that these are not full tanks being filled up, I've only seen the "empty" light a couple times. I normally fill up before it reaches a quarter tank)

Some say "money talks", right...so let's talk money:

Total overall cost of gas:

So in the last 2 years, 6 months, 24 days...
...that's $341 per month spent on fuel
...that's $79.76 per week spent on fuel
...that's $11.38 per day spent on fuel
...that's $0.47 per hour spent on fuel
...that's $0.008 per minute spent on fuel
...that's $0.0001 per second spent on fuel

In other words, my total overall average cost per fill up is:

And that's based on the total overall average cost of a gallon per fill up, which is:

Best price I ever paid for gas:

And here's a graph showing our gas prices over time:

Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Thank f@#k I don't actually keep track of any of this data.

But there are definitely some hardcore commuters that put these numbers to shame.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice data Casey!

Wow, that's like $341 per month spent on gas. That's basically a second car payment!

Based on what I know about your driving habits, I suspect the $11.38 per day is not spread evenly across the week. I imagine most of that gas is burned on Fri and Sat "cruising" in the hills, LOL. So given $341 per month, and 4 weekends in a month, that's $84.25 spent on quality time each weekend. There are definitely worse ways to spend money for weekend entertainment.

Now factor in your tire and brake budget...

I used to track my cost of behind-the-wheel entertainment. It adds up, gotta pay to play. But it's worth it.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by L8Apex01
A funny metric would be a photojournal of Joey and his staff's face when they look at my tread depth and tire wear during my monthly check-ups!

It's something like this:

Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by L8Apex01
Nice data Casey!

Wow, that's like $341 per month spent on gas. That's basically a second car payment!

Based on what I know about your driving habits, I suspect the $11.38 per day is not spread evenly across the week. I imagine most of that gas is burned on Fri and Sat "cruising" in the hills, LOL. So given $341 per month, and 4 weekends in a month, that's $84.25 spent on quality time each weekend. There are definitely worse ways to spend money for weekend entertainment.

I used to track my cost of behind-the-wheel entertainment. It adds up, gotta pay to play. But it's worth it.
Ignorance is bliss!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

< $50/2 weeks spent on gas... Yeah I don't get out much lol

Average about 190-200 miles to a tank.. I can get 215-220 if I really try but theres no fun in that.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 PM

Wow gas is really expensive and adds up fast. Got to pay to play =[
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM

Nice data.

That price drop on this year's Nissan Leaf is starting to look even more intriguing.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/14/n...massive-price/

Buy it for $29k, save $7500 on tax credits = $22k

[In theory] That nearly pays for itself in 100k miles on the S. And I would get commuter lane access as a bonus!

I'm more a fan of the plug-in hybrids, like the Volt, but the price point of the Leaf is very impressive.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 AM

You guys are making me feel great about my mileage - I get 300-330 per tank and I usually fill up before or right after the light comes on.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage and Gas Expense Statistics