California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Gallery Down, need suggestions

Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gallery Down, need suggestions

I need suggestions. My gallery is indefinitely down (never fear, once I get a new one up, all the pictures that I hosted will be back up and recent threads will be revised to show the new pics) and I need to figure out a few things:

1. Recommendations for sites to host. Below are my criteria.
a) Unlimited bandwidth, unlimited space
b) Ability to customize the page (I may need help from someone to design the page if it's difficult. I can do a free shoot for a full design)
c) Ability to have my own domain name
d) Easy to show resized shots as well as originals
e) Not costing over $200/year
f) Easy to upload in bulk.
g) Highly reliable (no down time whatsoever)

2. Below are a few preferences but not necessities
a) Ability to buy prints online
b) Flash based so that people can't save easily to computer for integrity purposes. Criteria 1d still is more important for the sake of linking on message boards.

3. Recommendations for names. Below are my preferences.
a) Something that I can easily watermark on all my pictures
b) I may get into this with my friend who some of you have met. His name's Richard and the idea of "JR Photography" or "210 Photography" has crossed our minds. 210 because both our birthdays are on Feb 10.
c) Nothing tacky

That's about it. I've done research on smugmug and zenfolio but would like firsthand accounts as well. I'm not going to settle for flickr or yahoo photos due to the lack of professionalism.

Any help will definitely be appreciated, as I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of my pics in the future.

For all those who have photoshoots pending or edits pending, never fear. I'm still working on those and they will definitely be hosted as soon as the new site is up. My schedule still stands with those waiting for shoots.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Both Vu and I have Zenfolio.

I've had it for a little over a year and I like it. Not sure if you can customize the site but you can change themes. I'm pretty sure you can have your own name domain? Or whatever it's called. Uploading and security seem good. They also keep adding new features like ordering prints but I don't think it's for your profit though.

I'm sure Vu can answer most of your questions.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to suggest zenfolio as well.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 AM

huge problem w/ zenfolio is that for some reason, it's blocked by my company firewall given that i do a majority of my browsing/posting at work, this is a major hinderance
Old 08-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by arrrmand,Aug 23 2007, 08:51 AM
huge problem w/ zenfolio is that for some reason, it's blocked by my company firewall given that i do a majority of my browsing/posting at work, this is a major hinderance
if i were you, i would complain to my boss and request a dedicated port and bandwidth just for browsing s2ki and posting pictures...