California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

The future of import cars and the s2000

Old 08-08-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The future of import cars and the s2000

So this has been a discussing running around a group of my buddies and I wondered what everyones thoughts were here.

Do you all think the S2000 will be a future classic? Will it start showing up 30 years from now at classic car shows like carmel concourse?

Since the import scene in general is big on modification it seems to go against everything most classic car shows represent. (they grade based upon how original a car is).

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are? Interested to see what you all say =)
Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...#entry23174394

Despite the impression one gets on these forums, there are plenty of low mileage and unmodded S2000s out there. I own one in fact.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think they will become future classics.

Limited production numbers.
Possibility the last of the gasoline 9k revving NA Honda engine.
Design that aged very well.

Just hope they all don't get stanced out LOL
Old 08-08-2014, 04:14 PM

I think so too. Classic car designation is a definite plus.

I think the fact that 30-40 years ago import cars weren't really that big yet.

Where as today they are. Now that some of the older imports are becoming rare its interesting to see the step shift in the hobby.

Imports in my mind are associated with tuners and modification so I"m curious to see if 30-40 years from now there will be a bunch of grey haired old guys walking around wek fest reminiscing of the old times =)

Also since the s2k isn't a super rare car it will be interesting to see if our generation later on values stock vs modified.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For some odd reason I only see the CR as being one but I have no clue about this.

I purchased it because I made the mistake of test driving it so for me it'll unfortunately have hard miles on it but I have no plans on ever getting rid of it.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fujin
I think so too. Classic car designation is a definite plus.

I think the fact that 30-40 years ago import cars weren't really that big yet.

Where as today they are. Now that some of the older imports are becoming rare its interesting to see the step shift in the hobby.

Imports in my mind are associated with tuners and modification so I"m curious to see if 30-40 years from now there will be a bunch of grey haired old guys walking around wek fest reminiscing of the old times =)

Also since the s2k isn't a super rare car it will be interesting to see if our generation later on values stock vs modified.

well another that could possibly happen is when HONDA decides to bring back the S-name in the future call it the S2030... S3000? which would reignite the interest in the old s2000s. (just like with s600 and s800)

Also the market demand plays a great role. When the young people of this gen grows up they will remember seeing the 100+ s2000 parked together on treasure island, remember how sporty and fast they looked. Something they themselves couldn't buy back in those days will definitely drive the demand when they are older and poss wealthier, just like with the old mustangs and muscles cars. Nostalgia factor?

I dont have plans on getting rid of it either and for the resale price (although they are going back up now?) its actually worth it to keep this car right now and in the future. What can you get new for 15000 that's this unique and fun?
Old 08-08-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think from a pure driving enthusiast's standpoint, this car will always be a cult classic.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

The numbers are not SOOO small it'll hockeystick, but I've been given two verbal offers that were higher than what I paid for my (second, high-mileage) S.

My litmus test is the Triumph TR5 and TR6 markets for what I think the car could do. . .
Old 08-11-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
The numbers are not SOOO small it'll hockeystick, but I've been given two verbal offers that were higher than what I paid for my (second, high-mileage) S.

My litmus test is the Triumph TR5 and TR6 markets for what I think the car could do. . .
Those are GREAT cars to use for litmus. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe spitfire?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 PM

If you ask me, these cars will probably follow in the footsteps of the 240Z and a cult classic. I'm not too sure about a Concours car, though. The Concours is still lacking an import gathering and even a domestic car gathering for that matter.

Quick Reply: The future of import cars and the s2000