California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Full Synthetic vs Synthetic Blend

Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely can feel/tell a different when changing old/used oil to new. As far as feeling the different between brands I've never been able to do so.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyaze
I definitely can feel/tell a different when changing old/used oil to new. As far as feeling the different between brands I've never been able to do so.
What do you 'feel'?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I believe for you to truly determine 'feel' it would have to be a blind test.
Scientific method FTW!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Bleh, whatever...

I know I felt a difference and I had a passenger or two remark on it, too, so it wasn't just me.

I really WANTED to love M1 since the previous owner had been using it for years on my car (and even gave me a free supply when I bought the car!), but it just doesn't suit my car. For some reason it got black really quickly (!), consumed more, and the engine ran louder and less smooth. I gave it two fresh changes for M1 and changed both <2k miles each for M1, same deal. Switched to Castrol Edge the 3rd time and I definitely felt a change--smoother, quieter engine, and the oil hasn't blackened in the 2k+ miles I've driven it, yet. (I suppose color doesn't matter with oil, though).

Maybe I'll run a blind test someday + a BlackStone labs report by having a friend do a few random changes for me. But for now I'm happy with my switch. The Blackstone reports on Castrol Edge on Bobistheoilguy have been pretty good.

I'll look into German Castrol and maybe Amsoil, since a lot of guys here rave about it.
Previous owner of my car said the same thing about M1. That the car consumed more oil before he switched to Castrol Full Syn.
As far as the butt dyno thing goes, I'm sure that it works, the question is to what degree? I know for a fact I can "feel" the difference after an oil change in my Civic. It also sounds different.
If through the degradation process oil changes and thins, why wouldn't you be able to "feel" it in how your car acts or responds?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by g0g3tt4
Originally Posted by HarryD' timestamp='1322415949' post='21188586
Bleh, whatever...

I know I felt a difference and I had a passenger or two remark on it, too, so it wasn't just me.

I really WANTED to love M1 since the previous owner had been using it for years on my car (and even gave me a free supply when I bought the car!), but it just doesn't suit my car. For some reason it got black really quickly (!), consumed more, and the engine ran louder and less smooth. I gave it two fresh changes for M1 and changed both <2k miles each for M1, same deal. Switched to Castrol Edge the 3rd time and I definitely felt a change--smoother, quieter engine, and the oil hasn't blackened in the 2k+ miles I've driven it, yet. (I suppose color doesn't matter with oil, though).

Maybe I'll run a blind test someday + a BlackStone labs report by having a friend do a few random changes for me. But for now I'm happy with my switch. The Blackstone reports on Castrol Edge on Bobistheoilguy have been pretty good.

I'll look into German Castrol and maybe Amsoil, since a lot of guys here rave about it.
Previous owner of my car said the same thing about M1. That the car consumed more oil before he switched to Castrol Full Syn.
As far as the butt dyno thing goes, I'm sure that it works, the question is to what degree? I know for a fact I can "feel" the difference after an oil change in my Civic. It also sounds different.
If through the degradation process oil changes and thins, why wouldn't you be able to "feel" it in how your car acts or responds?
How much out of spec is used oil? 5-15%? Sure it's not really only half as slick or smooth.

Another way to look at this is you fire up your motor, get your old oil hot, drain/fill to new oil and fire up. The difference between the start just 20 minutes ago is the motor was cold. Now fresh oil is a warm motor will feel different. But I ask you, is it the oil or the heat?

If you don't bother to get the motor warm before changes, your last memory of the motor running on old oil will be a hot motor with thinner oil. A fresh oil, cold start has the motor running on 'rich', higher rpms, and thicker oil.

The only true way to determine if you can feel the oil difference would be if the engine block and oil was at the same temp for both new and old old. If you do a quick change oil, as I've done on an older TL where there is less than 5 minutes to cool the motor I still could not feel the difference. I'm fairly anal about sounds and feelings so I would put my assessment of this slightly above average.

A vast majority of people are going to be changing oil well within it's limits, <15K on the oil suggesting that the amount of variance would be less than the human error.

Things like tranny fluid and tires have more of a 'contact' experience and would suggest more easy of feeling new vs. old.

Just my thoughts on this. FYI human error rate is 2%.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM

FYI human error rate is 2%.
Can you clarify this?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things like tranny fluid and tires have more of a 'contact' experience and would suggest more easy of feeling new vs. old.
It's amazing the different new transmission fluid makes when it comes to feel, especially when I put the 250w Amsoil in. It was like someone put a damper on my shift lever.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1322846114' post='21204820
FYI human error rate is 2%.
Can you clarify this?
A human will make a mistake 2% of the time on repeated tasks, even in they know what the right thing to do is.

IE they are to pick a color of a product to ship, 2% of the time they will pick the wrong color and ship it.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by HarryD' timestamp='1322177722' post='21184304
My car felt much better when I switched from Mobil 1 to Castrol Edge (both fresh changes).

I've read that some people don't think it's possible to feel a difference, but it definitely felt better to me. And it wasn't a placebo
To avoid a placebo effect, you'd need to not know which oil was which and evaluate while "blind" to the type of oil. Otherwise, you are making yourself vulnerable to the placebo.
I thinks thats the same with just adding a "performance air filter". yeah it may pull a bit more air in, but mostly at high revs and give a small increase in horses that would not be noticed in real terms. Its more likely to extra induction noise that make people think its a lot faster now!
I bet even 10 hp extra wouldn't be noticed.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by trustafox
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1322195187' post='21184630
[quote name='HarryD' timestamp='1322177722' post='21184304']
My car felt much better when I switched from Mobil 1 to Castrol Edge (both fresh changes).

I've read that some people don't think it's possible to feel a difference, but it definitely felt better to me. And it wasn't a placebo
To avoid a placebo effect, you'd need to not know which oil was which and evaluate while "blind" to the type of oil. Otherwise, you are making yourself vulnerable to the placebo.
I thinks thats the same with just adding a "performance air filter". yeah it may pull a bit more air in, but mostly at high revs and give a small increase in horses that would not be noticed in real terms. Its more likely to extra induction noise that make people think its a lot faster now!
I bet even 10 hp extra wouldn't be noticed.
[/quote]
To be the devil's advocate, I wonder if 10 less HP would be noticed?
Or, would ten less horsepower be noticed, if you put on a HP-losing part, but told the owner it was gaining ten HP.

Quick Reply: Full Synthetic vs Synthetic Blend