California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Full Synthetic vs Synthetic Blend

Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
My car felt much better when I switched from Mobil 1 to Castrol Edge (both fresh changes).

I've read that some people don't think it's possible to feel a difference, but it definitely felt better to me. And it wasn't a placebo
I run german castrol 0w-30 and the car feels a lot smoother.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BobSaget
Originally Posted by HarryD' timestamp='1322177722' post='21184304
My car felt much better when I switched from Mobil 1 to Castrol Edge (both fresh changes).

I've read that some people don't think it's possible to feel a difference, but it definitely felt better to me. And it wasn't a placebo
I run german castrol 0w-30 and the car feels a lot smoother.
Hmmm... I was wondering if any Bay Area drivers used German Castrol 0w-30!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:22 AM

Lots of placebo oil "feel" in this thread but I suppose you have to apply a non-scientific justification when you spend 2-3x the cost per quart for a full synthetic as you would for regular oil or a blend. That being said, I have two cases of full synthetic in my closet that I use for my car, but I only use it because I think it might better protect my engine under hot and high loads like at the track. I can't feel the difference between any two oils of the same weight -- and I doubt you can too.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Bleh, whatever...

I know I felt a difference and I had a passenger or two remark on it, too, so it wasn't just me.

I really WANTED to love M1 since the previous owner had been using it for years on my car (and even gave me a free supply when I bought the car!), but it just doesn't suit my car. For some reason it got black really quickly (!), consumed more, and the engine ran louder and less smooth. I gave it two fresh changes for M1 and changed both <2k miles each for M1, same deal. Switched to Castrol Edge the 3rd time and I definitely felt a change--smoother, quieter engine, and the oil hasn't blackened in the 2k+ miles I've driven it, yet. (I suppose color doesn't matter with oil, though).

Maybe I'll run a blind test someday + a BlackStone labs report by having a friend do a few random changes for me. But for now I'm happy with my switch. The Blackstone reports on Castrol Edge on Bobistheoilguy have been pretty good.

I'll look into German Castrol and maybe Amsoil, since a lot of guys here rave about it.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 AM

I switched from Amsoil signature 10w-30 to german castrol 0w-30, I know I felt a difference right away. Castrol is available at any autozone or pep boys so it was easier to get. Next round I will try amsoil 0w-30 just for shits and giggles.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by danvuquoc
Lots of placebo oil "feel" in this thread but I suppose you have to apply a non-scientific justification when you spend 2-3x the cost per quart for a full synthetic as you would for regular oil or a blend. That being said, I have two cases of full synthetic in my closet that I use for my car, but I only use it because I think it might better protect my engine under hot and high loads like at the track. I can't feel the difference between any two oils of the same weight -- and I doubt you can too.
Agreed. Cannot 'feel' the difference between oils and anyone who can is off their rockers
Old 11-27-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate to get all touchy-feely, but I have a question from a different angle.

Question: can people "feel" the difference between the car just before and just after an oil change. In my head I sometimes think there is a smoother/quieter sensation immediately post-oil-change.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98

Question: can people "feel" the difference between the car just before and just after an oil change. In my head I sometimes think there is a smoother/quieter sensation immediately post-oil-change.
That is very possible to feel a difference from just putting fresh oil in. I would expect fresh oil to build pressure quicker and be "smoother" due to the lack of contaminants.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1322426104' post='21188898

That is very possible to feel a difference from just putting fresh oil in. I would expect fresh oil to build pressure quicker and be "smoother" due to the lack of contaminants.
I think that's what I was getting at.

But the disagreement might be where I think I can still feel that change as "lasting" well after the fresh change with one specific type over another (e.g. Castrol over Mobil 1). But to each his own.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98

I cannot feel the difference. IE the motor doesn't idle smoother or rev easier.

What I did notice on one oil change is the motor was quieter. But I switched from 5w30 to 10w40 so that was to be expected.

I would say that unless your oil was beat to crap it's not possible at all. Furthermore most people here are actually changing nearly new oil for new oil. IE changing typically around 3K when a good syn oil is only partly used. So for this group to feel anything is not possible. Unless their wallets feeling thinner translates into better driving experience.

I believe for you to truly determine 'feel' it would have to be a blind test. On the same thoughts of oil,people who run 93oc would claim the car 'feels' more powerful or out to lunch. Zero performance improvements can be felt so I rather lump the two groups together. Butt dyno's don't work

Quick Reply: Full Synthetic vs Synthetic Blend