California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group
View Poll Results: Do you have front plates in the Bay Area (reply with your city + stories)
YES, I have front plates.
37.78%
NO, front plates are fugly and _________.
62.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Front License Plates in the SF Bay Area..?

Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

NO front plates, never had them, never will!

I'm surprised so many of you run front plates as it really ruins the look of the car, especially in photographs.

The top 3 places cops hit you with their radar gun is:

a) Front Plate
b) Headlights
c) Windshield

(guess which one is their 1st choice and most effective?)
Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no front plate since 2004 and never got pulled over for it.. I'm in San Jose and Peninsula area everyday
Old 10-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

front plates are ugly. i don't even know where my front license plate is seriously....i think i lost it.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Just took off my front plate and car looks 100x better. Front plate on the S looks like a giant pimple
Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front plate is a big fat reflector. They ticket you for next time when their first cousin has the gun on ya!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Rockin' the front plate. Living in san jose. Got popped once by a cop, within the FIRST WEEK of ownership. Not worth the hassle of getting pulled over ever again IMO. Mine is within the ap1 grill on the left side due to my replica spoon snorkel. I hate front license plates on our cars as much as the next guy, but at least it's as clean and legal as it will ever be.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
NO front plates, never had them, never will!

I'm surprised so many of you run front plates as it really ruins the look of the car, especially in photographs.

The top 3 places cops hit you with their radar gun is:

a) Front Plate
b) Headlights
c) Windshield

(guess which one is their 1st choice and most effective?)
LOL, but with how I drive, a cop wont need a radar to get a little excitement.

Originally Posted by hellspare
I think if you don't drive like you have to take a shit all the time cops won't give you trouble.
Well put, I think you've described my driving style (combined with IBS) with a new flavor.
Bottom line, I do need a front plate!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:25 AM

pic above of citation with fine amounts for various violations. just got mine signed off at sfpd and stuck on the plate with double sided tape (bent the top of my plate).
Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 AM

Haven't used a front plate since I was 17, and I never got a ticket for it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Just wanted to document my issues with the front plate removal

Removing the bracket that holds the plate up, I cringed as I saw that there were little mushed in holes that were above the usual bolt holes. I'm guessing the holes were caused by the shop using too long of a bolt to screw the license plate in when the bumper was repainted (that was before I owned the car). So now I'm thinking how to solve this little dilemma.

I had already bought the little covers that go over those bolt recievers, so I knew covering those up weren't going to be a problem. The issue was having to fix that eyesore of a dimple over those mounts. So I grabbed some painter's tape, sprayed them white, cut them to about the size of those holes, and stuck them on there. It's really going to have to be a temporary fix until I get it properly repaired, or I get a new aftermarket bumper (hoping for APR).

So there it is installed. It looks kinda bad right now in the darkness, where you can see the imperfections more clearly. I'll take it outside...

From a distance, it doesn't look that bad at all. At least those dimples are symmetrical, so its not quite out of place. But still, it'll have to do.

Considering on whenever I have to put it back on or not, I'll keep this look for now. I have the bracket and plate still, if I need to put it back on. Let me know what you guys think. Should I put the front plate back on or leave it off?

Quick Reply: Front License Plates in the SF Bay Area..?