California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group
View Poll Results: Do you have front plates in the Bay Area (reply with your city + stories)
YES, I have front plates.
37.78%
NO, front plates are fugly and _________.
62.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Front License Plates in the SF Bay Area..?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Can they ticket non-California plated cars for not having a front plate? I drive Nevada plated cars into the bay all the time. Wondering if I'll start getting tickets?
I can confirm they can, has happened to a buddy of mine. Was cited for that and that only.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1364243310' post='22427548
Can they ticket non-California plated cars for not having a front plate? I drive Nevada plated cars into the bay all the time. Wondering if I'll start getting tickets?
I can confirm they can, has happened to a buddy of mine. Was cited for that and that only.
If that's the case I wonder under what jurisdiction they enforce this? A fix it ticket at the DMV would be unenforceable in NV nor is there such an inspection here.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left my front plate on since there's an indent on the front bumper from the license plate bracket. Its been there since I got the car, I assume it came from someone tapping into the front when they were reversing into/out of a parallel spot.

I hate being hassled for NFP cause I've been pulled over plenty of times in my old G35 (had 4, 2 of which were ticketed on Clement St.) and now my A5 (so far only 1) - both cars were red. I live in Santa Cruz and I'm in SF and Cupertino pretty often. Strangely I've never been hassled when I didn't have a front plate on my black IS350. Guess its a factor of color/style of car, boredom of the cop, and luck.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1364248552' post='22427807
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1364243310' post='22427548']
If that's the case I wonder under what jurisdiction they enforce this? A fix it ticket at the DMV would be unenforceable in NV nor is there such an inspection here.
[/quote]
I think it was a local police department who issued the ticket. Not sure if it was written up as non correctable or not. I don't see it as any different than a parking ticket being placed on a out of state car. I suppose the driver might get something in the mail in their home state, with the goal of the city having a check mailed to them?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1364251469' post='22427913
[quote name='eklipz98' timestamp='1364248552' post='22427807']
[/quote]
I think it was a local police department who issued the ticket. Not sure if it was written up as non correctable or not. I don't see it as any different than a parking ticket being placed on a out of state car. I suppose the driver might get something in the mail in their home state, with the goal of the city having a check mailed to them?
[/quote]
I'm really not sure. I'm suspecting your friend got a ticket in error.

For example, in most of NV smog testing is not required. So legally I can remove my cat. If California police or CHP ticketed me for being catless it would be without recourse. I know this for a fact.

What happened to your friend and his ticket?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1364292580' post='22428901
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1364251469' post='22427913']
[/quote]
[/quote]

For example, in most of NV smog testing is not required. So legally I can remove my cat. If California police or CHP ticketed me for being catless it would be without recourse. I know this for a fact.

[/quote]
It was a car he had planned on transferring to CA registration at some point in the future, so to avoid inevitable hassle the ticket was paid with a check sent to the PD as far as I know.

Alot of people pull that smog game with crazy boosted cars so they can run them in California "legally", so perhaps that same work-around works with front plates?

In my friend's situation, it wouldn't be the first time someone has been ticketed for something they shouldn't have been ticketed for.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1364311603' post='22429400
[quote name='eklipz98' timestamp='1364292580' post='22428901']
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1364251469' post='22427913']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
It was a car he had planned on transferring to CA registration at some point in the future, so to avoid inevitable hassle the ticket was paid with a check sent to the PD as far as I know.

Alot of people pull that smog game with crazy boosted cars so they can run them in California "legally", so perhaps that same work-around works with front plates?

In my friend's situation, it wouldn't be the first time someone has been ticketed for something they shouldn't have been ticketed for.
[/quote]

I'm really not certain. One of my NV cars has a front plate and the other doesn't. I guess time will tell what happens. That said I've never had a front plate on a California plated car. Toll bridge gets me just fine with a rear only.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM

Golden Gate Bridge switched to an all electric toll collection this week. Wonder if they will be enforcing no front plate tickets through mailers.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM

Golden Gate Bridge switched to an all electric toll collection this week. Wonder if they will be enforcing no front plate tickets through mailers.
Good question. All my cars run without the electric pass and count on plate photos.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<---- NO PLATE. Still on the bumper somewhere... Castro Valley maybe
I'm a front plate hater!

Quick Reply: Front License Plates in the SF Bay Area..?