California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group
View Poll Results: Do you have front plates in the Bay Area (reply with your city + stories)
YES, I have front plates.
37.78%
NO, front plates are fugly and _________.
62.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Front License Plates in the SF Bay Area..?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by venge
ive had my ap1 for roughly a year now running a front plate to test the waters with my daily driving

routes. Last week i ordered bumper plugs from autowest in fremont for like $18 and now running with front

plate. I love the look in the front obviously and also drive a little more paranoid hehe. I also want to

point out that since taking the plate off, ive been counting how many other makes and models run with no

front plate. I used to do it a long time ago but i've noticed that the cars that i see on a regular basis

with no front plates are:

1. Vettes
2. Benzes
3. Porsches
4. Solstices
5. s2000's
The key here is the law states that if a vehicle is equipped to have a front plate that one must be present. I've noticed that a few domestics ship their cars without brackets.

Since the S2000 was produced for all markets, you'll notice it actually has two holes to support euro plate standards.

The whole front plate interests me. As if someone is fleeing a crime, you see their rear plate. The 'requirement' to have a front plate doesn't compute for me.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by venge' timestamp='1330025881' post='21443899
ive had my ap1 for roughly a year now running a front plate to test the waters with my daily driving

routes. Last week i ordered bumper plugs from autowest in fremont for like $18 and now running with front

plate. I love the look in the front obviously and also drive a little more paranoid hehe. I also want to

point out that since taking the plate off, ive been counting how many other makes and models run with no

front plate. I used to do it a long time ago but i've noticed that the cars that i see on a regular basis

1. Vettes
2. Benzes
3. Porsches
4. Solstices
5. s2000's
The key here is the law states that if a vehicle is equipped to have a front plate that one must be present. I've noticed that a few domestics ship their cars without brackets.

Since the S2000 was produced for all markets, you'll notice it actually has two holes to support euro plate standards.

The whole front plate interests me. As if someone is fleeing a crime, you see their rear plate. The 'requirement' to have a front plate doesn't compute for me.
stop light camera and radar camera
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's for anything photo related, red light / speeding cams. I could be wrong though
Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by venge' timestamp='1330025881' post='21443899

1. Vettes
2. Benzes
3. Porsches
4. Solstices
5. s2000's

I know the real reason and it's mainly for LE to have a solid FLAT surface to hit you with their radar/laser guns. The front plate is the absolute best place to focus the "gun" which is why most states require it. The backup sources if front plate is not there would be

a) Headlights
b) Windshield

(of course both of these targets are not 100% flat so they are only backup choices if no front plate)

For traffic cams to get you they are synchronized to capture your front and rear so it really doesn't matter if you are missing one plate. We work with Redflex which is one of the largest leading companies in photo traffic enforcement so I get to see a lot of their developing products. Check out their website, plenty of new technology to capture the speeding motorist and those cameras are so fast it doesn't matter if you are doing 100, it will get a clear picture of your car.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by EuroBoutique
Sounds like some of you guys could use this:

Ended up going with the tow hook mod. Honestly don't think I'll have it on too long. Going to get it signed off and get rid of it. Will put it back on when I go up into the city. Never had an issue with it in Mountain View.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 PM

I have 'em on since I got pulled over on the San Mateo Bridge. No ticket was issued but I have no desire to deal with getting hassled over it.
Oh, and I cover a wide range on my daily commute.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM

I have not run with a front plate since buying my car new in LA in 2003. When Santa Monica began using red light cameras, the state and local cops sat on PCH one morning and pulled over as many no-front-plate cars as they could. I had to go into Culver City to a State Police barracks to have a cop "inspect" that my plate was actually permanently attached. She pulled on the plate so hard I thought she was going to break the bumper. She told me that a lot of "exotic" car owners try to Velcro the plate on so they can pull it off after they leave. After she signed-off, I took the plate off .

After moving to the Bay Area again in 2006, I got a fix-it ticket for no front plate in Berkeley after they started using revenue cameras too. I was legally parked and got the "no front plate" ticket anyway. I now attach the front plate in the intake opening after parking there (I have a perforated metal grill that I can screw into quickly).

The Golden Gate Bridge is going to a no cash toll collection system in a few days. I've read that the city of SF will become extremely aggressive in ticketing parked cars w/o front plates to boost their ticket camera revenue as well as to support the GGB Authority's need to photograph the front plates (they already do the rear plates) in order to send you the bill for the bridge toll. I simply resist permanently mounting the plate as it makes the car look like a buck-tooth gopher :-).
Old 03-24-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I parked in SF for 15 minutes and got a fix-it ticket. Going to get it signed off - still not putting my front plate on.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gizzard
I parked in SF for 15 minutes and got a fix-it ticket. Going to get it signed off - still not putting my front plate on.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KSC
I have not run with a front plate since buying my car new in LA in 2003. When Santa Monica began using red light cameras, the state and local cops sat on PCH one morning and pulled over as many no-front-plate cars as they could. I had to go into Culver City to a State Police barracks to have a cop "inspect" that my plate was actually permanently attached. She pulled on the plate so hard I thought she was going to break the bumper. She told me that a lot of "exotic" car owners try to Velcro the plate on so they can pull it off after they leave. After she signed-off, I took the plate off .

After moving to the Bay Area again in 2006, I got a fix-it ticket for no front plate in Berkeley after they started using revenue cameras too. I was legally parked and got the "no front plate" ticket anyway. I now attach the front plate in the intake opening after parking there (I have a perforated metal grill that I can screw into quickly).

The Golden Gate Bridge is going to a no cash toll collection system in a few days. I've read that the city of SF will become extremely aggressive in ticketing parked cars w/o front plates to boost their ticket camera revenue as well as to support the GGB Authority's need to photograph the front plates (they already do the rear plates) in order to send you the bill for the bridge toll. I simply resist permanently mounting the plate as it makes the car look like a buck-tooth gopher :-).
Can they ticket non-California plated cars for not having a front plate? I drive Nevada plated cars into the bay all the time. Wondering if I'll start getting tickets?

Quick Reply: Front License Plates in the SF Bay Area..?