California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Form Factor Mini PC Sought For

Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Form Factor Mini PC Sought For

It seems our Shuttle SH55J2 is on it's way out. The USB ports just died and I'm passed their warranty. I'm expecting a 'screw' you and out on the streets. So I'm not inclined to buy a replacement Shuttle.

What's a good alternative?

Requirements:
- i5 support
- 2 HDD
- 1 optical
- 1 pci express
- Small, form factor and quiet.

Edit// should mention I need it to run Windows 7.

Old system looked like this:

Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the budget? Dell have some, but Mac Mini is attractive. There is room to add second HD. Add external optical.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macmini is the only real option IMO. Shuttle hasn't done much with their SFF line since its inception. Rinse and repeat.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of the 5 requirements Rob listed, the Mac Mini only meets 2 of them.

Have a read over at the HTPC section of Anandtech.com (http://www.anandtech.com/tag/htpc). Plenty of options and choices to choose from.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Andrie
what's the budget? Dell have some, but Mac Mini is attractive. There is room to add second HD. Add external optical.
I need case + power supply + mobo - I currently have all the working parts from our current media PC which include.
- i5 quad core
- 2 hdds
- blueray drive
- 8gb ram (2 dims)
- HD video card

I'd love to replace the case/mobo for <$400

While I'd love a Mac it doesn't meet all my needs.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM

this one doesn't fit the power requirements but pretty cheap. - http://hellacheap.com/?p=11481
Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 PM

wouldnt the cheapest solution be.. just to replace the usb..
Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM

Well if you are restrained by the use of existing hardware, and you don't want to stick with Shuttle, I'd say your options are weak at best. Antec makes a case that is similar in design to the Shuttle XPCs but you'd still need to source a mobo. They also have their ISK line but something tells me these might be too cramped for your needs. Silverstone has several options as well but they are quite pricey (about half your budget). Check out Directron as they seem to have an extensive selection of options with a variety of aesthetics from somewhat pleasing to downright gaudy.

Or you could spend $100 more and get a MacMini. Hell, sell off some of your existing parts to subsidize the cost.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 AM

Thanks guys. I ended up buying a slightly larger case that looks like a piece of home stereo equipment with a new mobo. Silverstone case and asus mobo.

Shuttle wouldn't warranty the unit, wanted $65 to inspect and should the mobo be damaged another $101 plus shipping. New setup $260 and I'll have it next week - without sending my full system to someone I don't know.

Scratch shuttle off the cases to buy in the future.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by DaPhatty
Well if you are restrained by the use of existing hardware, and you don't want to stick with Shuttle, I'd say your options are weak at best. Antec makes a case that is similar in design to the Shuttle XPCs but you'd still need to source a mobo. They also have their ISK line but something tells me these might be too cramped for your needs. Silverstone has several options as well but they are quite pricey (about half your budget). Check out Directron as they seem to have an extensive selection of options with a variety of aesthetics from somewhat pleasing to downright gaudy.

Or you could spend $100 more and get a MacMini. Hell, sell off some of your existing parts to subsidize the cost.
I've yet to have a mac play bluray. Which our media pc did for $50. Rest of your comments were helpful

Quick Reply: Form Factor Mini PC Sought For