California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

First track day before ever autocrossing

Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macr88,Sep 22 2010, 03:56 PM
It all depends on your skill level and what you expect to gain from it.
There's nothing that says you have to do one before the other but I will say that auto x'ing before a track definitely won't hurt anything.
I auto x because it enables me to push harder in a relatively safer place than the track and of course way safer than the street.

Enjoy your trackday and know that information can be gained from both.
Thanks, Mac! I'd say my skill level is pretty low. I've been driving stick for long enough but I've never participated in any events that would test my performance driving skills, and the S is my first RWD car. I guess I'm just hoping to have some fun driving my car fast and hopefully absorb some of the instructor's advice. If there weren't an instructor involved, I'd definitely wait for autocross. I'm planning to go to the one in Santa Clara next weekend. Too bad for me the dates for these two events aren't reversed.

By the way, how do I get one of those Bay Area S2ki badges?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Sep 22 2010, 04:00 PM
Never hit the track, I like the auto x for now.

Don't forget track pads and break fluid! You'll surely toast the stock setup.
Ah crud, I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I definitely won't have an opportunity to change out parts or change the brake fluid in time. I was hoping I'd be OK at 100% stock because I'd only be participating in the Hyperdrive which is the ultra newbie program:

"This program is designed to take someone that’s never been to a track before and knows nothing about racing, high performance driving, or the rules of the track, and walk them through the paces."

I'm not sure how much actual seat time each person gets but I have a feeling it's less than the non-noob programs give you. Do you guys think I might be OK with the stock brake setup?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by obsess2k'ed,Sep 22 2010, 04:30 PM
By the way, how do I get one of those Bay Area S2ki badges?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Sep 22 2010, 04:13 PM
i've autocrossed once and that was after maybe 5 track days.

i'll be there sat and sun

hyperdrive seems short and easy. just drive within your limits and have a good time.
Cool! Hope to meet you there.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by macr88,Sep 22 2010, 04:52 PM
LOL. I guess you must have badged me already? I'm apparently not the most observant person. I never even noticed it until now.

Thank you, sir!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did it

you're welcome
Old 09-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by macr88,Sep 22 2010, 05:12 PM
I just did it

you're welcome
Ah, no wonder I didn't see it. Yay, I've been badged. I feel official now.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try and switch to do the whole day, once you get there you not going to want to only go for a 1/2 day. The first session is always slower and you work your way up. you'll have an instructor with you so its not like your thrown out to the wolves or anything.

I wouldnt think you would need to auto x first. I went to my first track day in may (at this track) had a good time though, problem free.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obsess2k'ed,Sep 22 2010, 02:28 PM
I'm thinking about doing the Hyperdrive at Infineon this weekend but I've never tracked or autocrossed before.

Common sense would seem to me that autocrossing is a better first step than going to the track, but I'm hoping I'd be OK since the Hyperdrive provides you with an instructor to ride with you. Still, is it a bad idea to do this before autocrossing? I'd really like to not spin out into a wall or something but I figure I will just try not to push too hard. What do you guys think? All those AP1 snap oversteer threads just have me paranoid I guess.

By the way, I hope you guys don't mind I posted this in the Bay Area section.
Great to hear you're doing this! I'd really like to check something like this out too but first and foremost I really need new rear rubber. Let me know how it goes for future reference?!

Also Brendan, I think I told you about the BMW CCA car control clinic thing in October I'm planning on attending...I'm on the same boat as you. Absolutely no experience tracking my cars, so I figured it would be a good training session on what to do should the unexpected happen, if anything. Obviously haven't been to one of their events before, but I've been told they're great experience and decent value for money from others who have done it. Let me know if you need more info on this (and they are also having a Thunderhill track day in November with instructors which I'm also hoping to attend...this car control clinic is a prerequisite for that event I believe).
Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You should be fine. Drive within your means. Get an experienced driver to ride with you if possible. Or ask for rides. I did the autox thing for the first 6 years, then started taking it to the track a few times during the last 4 years.

Quick Reply: First track day before ever autocrossing