Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by danvuquoc' timestamp='1336625474' post='21685158
[quote name='eklipz98' timestamp='1336615129' post='21684810']
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1336608975' post='21684581']
I'll never drive with you.

[img]
Must have posted the wrong picture or something, I see people having breakfast not driving
[/quote]
LOL, FYI the picture was taken at an official s2ki group drive, where we were both involved.
A drive which occurred before and after the pictured meal.

Of course people have the freedom to change their mind about participating in group drives based on their comfort level with the details/route of the event. If I remember correctly I believe you and Rob have made comments to that effect.
[/quote]

Chill adonis, I was just making a joke about breakfast.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We all know I'm the ONLY one who drives fast on public roads...
Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 AM

It's official. I install four star specs today. The punctured tire was deemed unpatchable. Oh well. Onwards to a new level of grip.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
It's official. I install four star specs today. The punctured tire was deemed unpatchable. Oh well. Onwards to a new level of grip.
just sell the other rear for cheap. someones bound to buy it considering they last a long time. how are you fronts? just post it up on craigslist haha
Old 05-10-2012, 10:53 AM

My front were nearly pancake bald with little tread visible but no cords.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

---->
Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Casey, I think the thing about your posts that rubs people the wrong way is the big-ego thing. There is a difference between not having any fear and being a good driver. You might actually be both, but the point people are trying to make is that your spirited mountain "pace" only proves that you have no fear, not that you are a good driver. Until you can prove you can actually drive with some lap times, people are going to be wary of the no-fear part.I can hang with the "fast" guys here on a mountain road, including you, but I will be the first to raise my hand and say the good drivers on this forum are WAAAAAY faster than that pace and way faster than me. That spirited mountain pace is beginner group pace on the track. The track is a humbling experience when you see how far you still have to go before you're a good driver. Being humble makes you a safer driver at any speed.
No offense, but I completely disagree with this post. A person that manages a good consistent pace on the mountains will in almost every circumstance wipe the floor with people who only go to track days and the reason is simple. Seat time. Lack of fear has nothing to do with anything, if that is something that even comes to mind while driving, it is already over with. The fear is something that happens unconsciously in a good driver I think once you get some experience, it is always there though. Someone that can drive quickly, safely, and consistently on far from ideal mountain roads will have a huge upper hand on any track. Smooth surface, massively wide track, run-off area, daylight, tracks that can be memorized in 2-3 laps, lack of edges of cliffs, and any fear that may have existed fades away. I have never in my life met someone that was consistently quick in the mountains and slow at any track, and you are kidding yourself if you think track driving is more difficult. There is no point in even comparing them really. Going to the track once every few months doesn't magically make you a better driver, time behind the wheel does, slowly and consistently increasing your limits.

The one thing I do agree with is being humble making you a safe driver, but there is also a difference between humble and slow. I haven't met many drivers more humble than Casey and would gladly follow him on any road, track or sit in his passenger seat anytime. Anyone that thinks Casey is a crazy or reckless driver needs to visit the mountain roads of Osaka in the middle of the night and get a reality check. Even those guys aren't really crazy.

Casey isn't doing anything crazy to his tires, he is just driving way, WAY more often than most people on here. He didn't just decide to start driving fast yesterday. Also to the guy getting 11k/6 months on D1 Star Specs. Slow clap. clap. clap... I have gone through brand new oem Mazda 3 rental 300 wear rating bridgestones with what I consider very calm and collected driving much faster than that. And it has nothing to do with being a crazy or reckless driver.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by thomsbrain' timestamp='1336620657' post='21685023
Casey, I think the thing about your posts that rubs people the wrong way is the big-ego thing. There is a difference between not having any fear and being a good driver. You might actually be both, but the point people are trying to make is that your spirited mountain "pace" only proves that you have no fear, not that you are a good driver. Until you can prove you can actually drive with some lap times, people are going to be wary of the no-fear part.I can hang with the "fast" guys here on a mountain road, including you, but I will be the first to raise my hand and say the good drivers on this forum are WAAAAAY faster than that pace and way faster than me. That spirited mountain pace is beginner group pace on the track. The track is a humbling experience when you see how far you still have to go before you're a good driver. Being humble makes you a safer driver at any speed.
No offense, but I completely disagree with this post. A person that manages a good consistent pace on the mountains will in almost every circumstance wipe the floor with people who only go to track days and the reason is simple. Seat time. Lack of fear has nothing to do with anything, if that is something that even comes to mind while driving, it is already over with. The fear is something that happens unconsciously in a good driver I think once you get some experience, it is always there though. Someone that can drive quickly, safely, and consistently on far from ideal mountain roads will have a huge upper hand on any track. Smooth surface, massively wide track, run-off area, daylight, tracks that can be memorized in 2-3 laps, and any fear that may have existed fades away. I have never in my life met someone that was consistently quick in the mountains and slow at any track, and you are kidding yourself if you think track driving is more difficult. There is no point in even comparing them really. Going to the track once every few months doesn't magically make you a better driver, time behind the wheel does.

The one thing I do agree with is being humble making you a safe driver, but there is also a difference between humble and slow. I haven't met many drivers more humble than Casey and would gladly follow him on any road, track or sit in his passenger seat anytime. Anyone that thinks Casey is a crazy or reckless driver needs to visit the mountain roads of Osaka in the middle of the night and get a reality check. Even those guys aren't really crazy.

Casey isn't doing anything crazy to his tires, he is just driving way, WAY more often than most people on here. Also to the guy getting 11k/6 months on D1 Star Specs. Slow clap. clap. clap... I have gone through brand new oem Mazda 3 rental 300 wear rating bridgestones with what I consider very calm and collected driving much faster than that.
Hey Andrew, thanks for chiming in. I think a lot of people misunderstand my dry sarcastic sense of humor on the forums as arrogance and ego. I really am a down to earth and humble guy when it comes down to it if you spend face time with me. You are so right about me putting ridiculous amounts of miles on my tires in short time frames, and many of those miles are driving in the hills at a 'respectable pace'. You've driven and ridden, with me enough to know that I'm not a reckless driver. In fact, safety, non-competitiveness, and driving within personal limits, are the basic tenants for the mountain drives that I organize. Without fail, the people calling me reckless are all guilty of doing their own stunts on public roads, so it's hard to take that feedback seriously. Certainly these folks pick and choose who to 'call out' for such driving, because most of us do it, whether frequent or not.

As for the difference between "no fear" and "good driver". I'm not going around calling myself a "good driver", but I give ALOT of ride-alongs on my mountain runs to dozens of people, and the feedback is pretty much unanimous. Apparently I must be doing something right. Normally the comments are something like "good driver" and "you must know this road" and "I was scared at first, but I trust you now". I will say that I do have fear when I see what has happened to my fellow bay area s2ki members when they drive over their limit on the street. One of the tricks is to respect your fear and not become "over confident".

Plenty of those who have kindly invited me to the track have referenced my mountain drives as a "leg up", or at least a experience factor that is somewhat translatable. I'm pretty familiar with how my car handles at the limit, and I'm sure that the seat time, and car handing knowledge from mountain runs would be useful at the track. I'm sure I would do well at the track at extracting most of the potential out of my set up. All I could do is try someday. Certainly different tires and suspensions would begin to come in to the equation if people are trying to compare my driving and my car to themselves.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:25 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Ain't nothin' but a thang! I am amused by people that have no radar for dry humor/sarcasm. Also by track day only drivers that talk down to people that spend time getting better driving in the mountains. You will see them at the track someday and hope you never see them on the mountains because they have no clue what they are doing.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Ain't nothin' but a thang! I am amused by people that have no radar for dry humor/sarcasm. Also by track day only drivers that talk down to people that spend time getting better driving in the mountains. You will see them at the track someday and hope you never see them on the mountains because they have no clue what they are doing.
Inevitably, this is me: