California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

First flat tire in my S :(

Old 05-08-2012, 12:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1336454680' post='21678280
Tirerack has exclusive distribution for the SS.
On a side note, eklipz98, I take it from your experience you find the SS to be superior to the Sumi's & RS3s?
I've never driven on RS3s, so I can't compare with them.
I've driven with Sumis on AP2 OEM and on CR suspension, the Star Specs were noticeably better. Like WOWI
I've not yet driven with Star Specs on my CR suspension. I'm guessing even more WOW. My only baseline comparison is driving CR suspension on Sumi's!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 AM

Tires scheduled for delivery today!

AND...

Delivered!

Looks like I'll be rollin on Star Specs by the end of Thursday!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a tire tech at a big tire company. I can tell you that Americas Tire Co and Big O won't fix that flat for you because its too close to the sidewall. Pulling the nail and plugging it is not the problem, but the patch has to sit flat in the tread path, and since the patch is about 2 inches half of it would be on the sidewall. The patch could come off the sidewall when flexed also the sidewall is the weakest point of the tire, hence it not being a complete/safe fix. Some small shops may do it but im not sure how sound it would be. I'd have to see it from the inside. i guess they could cut the patch and use a ton of repair sealant...

also ask them to use the 5x114 finger plate when balancing. the cone works fine but the finger plate is the best fit when balancing.

goodluck, enjoy the new rubber
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by BeachBumS2K
Im a tire tech at a big tire company. I can tell you that Americas Tire Co and Big O won't fix that flat for you because its too close to the sidewall. Pulling the nail and plugging it is not the problem, but the patch has to sit flat in the tread path, and since the patch is about 2 inches half of it would be on the sidewall. The patch could come off the sidewall when flexed also the sidewall is the weakest point of the tire, hence it not being a complete/safe fix. Some small shops may do it but im not sure how sound it would be. I'd have to see it from the inside. i guess they could cut the patch and use a ton of repair sealant...

I wouldn't go with those sumi's, the RS3 and star specs are actually really similar. The star specs get a bad rep sometimes but im not sure why, its a nice tread design, pretty inexpensive, GREAT grip. the only flaw is that it has kind of weak side walls, they flex quite a bit. Before they install them ask if you can squeeze the sidewall of the RS3's and Dunlops, see which one you like more. Americas tire co should have both in stock.
also ask them to use the 5x114 finger plate when balancing. the cone works fine but the finger plate is the best fit when balancing.

Hi there. Thank you for your wise advice!

I had worried that the proximity to the sidewall would prohibit them from patching. I definitely want the tire to be safe, given my driving style. Any idea what the market is for a single 50% used non-patched Sumitomo HTRZ-III would be. I imagine most potential buyers would want to buy two tires, not one.

America's tire does not stock the RS3's or Star Specs, or the Sumitomos (at least the Walnut Creek one doesn't). I've already purchased the Star Specs through Tire Rack and had them drop shipped, so I'm sticking with them this time around.

I'll make that special request for the balancing equipment. America's tire typically tries to charge extra for "lifetime balancing". I always say "no" and get a small discount because I've never had a tire come out of balance.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Any idea what the market is for a single 50% used non-patched Sumitomo HTRZ-III would be. I imagine most potential buyers would want to buy two tires, not one.
considering they're only $106 brand new for 245/45/17, i'd say $40
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1336582897' post='21683063
Any idea what the market is for a single 50% used non-patched Sumitomo HTRZ-III would be. I imagine most potential buyers would want to buy two tires, not one.
My rears are CR spec: 255/40ZR17
They are $120/each on tirerack.com new
LOL, so maybe $50?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by tkeyyy' timestamp='1336583925' post='21683140
[quote name='eklipz98' timestamp='1336582897' post='21683063']
My rears are CR spec: 255/40ZR17
They are $120/each on tirerack.com new
LOL, so maybe $50?
[/quote]
yea i wasn't sure of what tires you had. had a feeling it was 255 haha.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used tires typically have very poor resell value due to the installation costs plus the need to pay for installation again not too far down the road.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Used tires typically have very poor resell value due to the installation costs plus the need to pay for installation again not too far down the road.
Very true. I'll take anything considering my alternative is to pay to have them disposed. Lol.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BeachBumS2K

I wouldn't go with those sumi's, the RS3 and star specs are actually really similar. The star specs get a bad rep sometimes but im not sure why, its a nice tread design, pretty inexpensive, GREAT grip. the only flaw is that it has kind of weak side walls, they flex quite a bit. Before they install them ask if you can squeeze the sidewall of the RS3's and Dunlops, see which one you like more. Americas tire co should have both in stock.

Are you sure you are referring to the Z1 Star Specs and not the DZ101s?

Here's a review by Psychoazn he thinks the sidewalls are stiffer in the Z1's than the RS3's. I've never seen the RS3's though and so can't really comment.

Quick Reply: First flat tire in my S :(