California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

First flat tire in my S :(

Old 05-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Aw man no triple digits on a patched tire. That might count me out then.

I am so scared of how fast I might wear the star specs. This is all happening around the week I finish my dissertation so I might go on a drivin binge.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are able to get it patch, you should be fine. I've used patched rcomps on the track w/o issue. Not sure I'd trust a plug for serious driving though.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
If you are able to get it patch, you should be fine. I've used patched rcomps on the track w/o issue. Not sure I'd trust a plug for serious driving though.
Ok I will request the patch not a plug.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got mine patched and plugged. they tried to just offer a 'plug' for $30 and tried to jip me with the included patch, but i advised them to patch it too. i told them that if my tire blows on me from just the plug, then they will have a serious case with them. this was at wheel works off of prospect. managers an @$$hole there.

i've hit triple digits a bunch of times (not being proud of it or anything), but i trust their work and it hasn't given me any issues.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry I think the tires are only coming from reno.

What made you decide to go with the star specs in the end? I always say I hate constantly spending money on tires, but I now realize that I have nothing to complain about. Look at the bright side, your costly habit is still probably cheaper than drinking at a bar.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by toofarfromjune
Don't worry I think the tires are only coming from reno.

What made you decide to go with the star specs in the end? I always say I hate constantly spending money on tires, but I now realize that I have nothing to complain about. Look at the bright side, your costly habit is still probably cheaper than drinking at a bar.
I believe you are correct, they are shipping from Reno, NV.

The RS3 and HTRZIII were out of stock at TireRack, and America's Tire, and not able to arrive by this Thursday. This was a small factor in my decision

I've also really wanted to run Star Specs again. The last time I had them was with the OEM AP2 suspension with 100k miles. Now I have the brand new CR suspension, and I want to know what the sticky tires feel like with the CR suspension. I was also waiting for the perfect time when all four tires would be switched. My fronts/rears are never bald at the same time, and I've been trying to avoid having to have a mix-matched set.

I basically have no social life except attending the s2ki events and seeing a couple close friends. I'm very frugal with my money except when it comes to my car. I try not to eat out, and especially not drink out. I'm happy with my mods, and am just focusing on routine maintenance currently.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

star specs last half the life of htr ZIII

I dont know why you just didn't patch the tire 2000 miles is nothing. I've got 12,000 on my rears with two track days. Your tires look like they've been babied.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2

I dont know why you just didn't patch the tire 2000 miles is nothing. I've got 12,000 on my rears with two track days. Your tires look like they've been babied.
Yes, I know they last half the life, LOL. I bought them to experience a little more grip on my mountain runs. I'm prepared to change them in the very near future when they go bald, although hopefully I can baby the Star Specs more than my HTRZ-III's.

I do plan to patch the tire, and save it to put back on after the Star Specs go bald. I won't be planning to throw out the rear tire unless it is un-patch-able.

On average, for the past year, I last about 5k miles on rear tire Sumitomo HTRZIII's (about two months worth). I'm not sure how that can be considered babied.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1336434429' post='21677480

Yes, I know they last half the life, LOL. I bought them to experience a little more grip on my mountain runs. I'm prepared to change them in the very near future when they go bald, although hopefully I can baby the Star Specs more than my HTRZ-III's.

I do plan to patch the tire, and save it to put back on after the Star Specs go bald. I won't be planning to throw out the rear tire unless it is un-patch-able.

On average, for the past year, I last about 5k miles on rear tire Sumitomo HTRZIII's (about two months worth). I'm not sure how that can be considered babied.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhUhuDW_jOw
Old 05-07-2012, 07:49 PM

Lol great flick. My star spec shipped today.

Quick Reply: First flat tire in my S :(