California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

First flat tire in my S :(

Old 05-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default First flat tire in my S :(

Coming home from La Honda towards Walnut Creek, I noticed the car was handling a little awkwardly.
I pulled over to find a rear passenger side tire flat.
My spare tire was at 20 psi, so I installed it and nursed it to the Chevron in Woodside and inflated it.
I made it home to Walnut Creek driving 50mph across the San Mateo bridge and connecting freeways.

It seems to be a nail that punctured through and through, and is still lodged in there.
As well, some piece of the nail has broken off, and is rolling around inside the tire.

Couple questions for ya'll.

1. Do you think that this is a "pluggable" situation. It's fairly close to the sidewall, and I know tire shops don't like to plug when its too close to the edge. I'd love to run on these tires for more time, because my rears are only half done. As well, with a chunk of nail floating around inside the tire, would they need to remove the tire to actually plug and repair the situation?
[See pics below for nail location]

2. I'm debating which tires to get. Here's the prices on tire rack for ALL FOUR (my fronts are bald and my rears are 50% done). Prices are pre-shipping. One consideration is that I'll probably wear the rears super fast, and end up replacing with HTRZ-III. This means, I would inevitably end up in a situation where I might have the StarSpec or RS3 up front, and HTRZ-III in the rear...doesn't seem ideal.
- Sumitomo HTRZ III = $430.00
- Hankook RS3 = $574.00
- Dunlop Star Spec = $658.00

At this point, I'm planning to get the set of 4 HTRZ-III, since they are the cheapest, and last the longest. Money is an issue for me currently.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's risky for a shop to plug that due to liabilities of where its located & remaining tire life. However you can pick up a plug kit from a local automotive store & try it out. They dont cost that much & worst case youre back at where you started with a plug kit ready to use for the future. If it works, cool!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
It's risky for a shop to plug that due to liabilities of where its located & remaining tire life. However you can pick up a plug kit from a local automotive store & try it out. They don't cost that much & worst case you're back at where you started with a plug kit ready to use for the future. If it works, cool!
I hadn't thought of that option before. Honestly, I don't really trust myself doing that sort of repair. You'd be amazed at how easily I can screw up a car project. I practically stripped one of my lug nut/studs when changing the flat tire. I've got skills you wouldn't believe when it comes to cross-threading, stripping bolts, and screwing up other seemingly easy car repairs.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch. I thought those tires were brand new when I saw you install then at Joeys? Anyway I had the same puncture in one of my cars in a similar location. Most of the chain shops won't do it but find an independent shop and they might do it if they feel you pretty cool. I was able to fix mine without any problems. Make sure they use a plug/patch from the inside. So yes they will have to dismount the tire. How many miles you out on these tires?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by nos4you
Ouch. I thought those tires were brand new when I saw you install then at Joeys? Anyway I had the same puncture in one of my cars in a similar location. Most of the chain shops won't do it but find an independent shop and they might do it if they feel you pretty cool. I was able to fix mine without any problems. Make sure they use a plug/patch from the inside. So yes they will have to dismount the tire. How many miles you out on these tires?
LOL, you are correct, they were brand four weeks ago at Joey's....LOL
These tires were delivered to my house on 4/12/2012, which was @ 124,650 on the odometer.
Today, I logged 126,770 when I filled up with the nail in my tires.
If my math is correct, I'm at 2,120 on these tires at the time of the puncture.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either the sumitomos or look fr the federal ss595 something or other. They are a decent tire and cheaper than the sumitomos
Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by chetly
Either the sumitomos or look fr the federal ss595 something or other. They are a decent tire and cheaper than the sumitomos
Any idea where to source the 595's locally? I'm needing tires by Thursday.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nos4you

plugging it from the outside should work as well if done properly; Ive had good experience with that process on Bridgestones before & some of my other beaters in the past.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i knew those tread patterns looked familiar lol.

i remember when i JUST got my rears, and i got a nail in it at barely 800 miles. i was pretty mad. same spot as yours, except it was a straight puncture, not affecting anything around it. shop didn't really question me. just did what i asked and it's been good since. i'm at almost 20k with them right now and there's still decent tread. idk how you went only 2k and have that much tread left, unless you do a lot of mountain runs
Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
i knew those tread patterns looked familiar lol.
You run the HTRZ-III's as well?

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
idk how you went only 2k and have that much tread left, unless you do a lot of mountain runs
I do about 3-4 hours of mountain runs per week.
So that's about 12-16 hours of mountain runs per month.
Average mileage from new to bald is 5k on my tires.

Quick Reply: First flat tire in my S :(