California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Figured I'd post an "intro"

Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Figured I'd post an "intro"

Was living in San Luis Obispo working as a flight instructor, moved up here to follow my girlfriend as her job makes more money and I'm bound to find something up here. We technically moved up here the beginning of August, but I was stuck in SLO until I finished my project...

5/28/10 Picked the car up in New Jersey, drove it back and immediately started doing the things I knew would make it perform having owned an S2k in the past.

Being that it was from New Jersey, it had quite a bit of rust on the suspension components, I had never owned an east coast car before and never thought this would be a problem. Boy was I wrong. After Installing the KW Clubsports I tried to align the car but the bolts were seized. I ended up tearing a couple bushings and needing to cut my front subframe to free a suspension arm. Thus started project Derustify (which was intended to happen in about a year or so)

And here were my nice new KW's with no suspension arms to make them worth anything...right after being installed they had to wait to actually get used.

Had to press out, burn out, and whatever else out the old bushings. In pressing out the old front uppers I bent the control arm you see in the box above slightly and had to buy another set...found these used, and this is basically what the suspension looked like before.

I opted to use Powerflex Poly bushings as they are the only company that makes poly replacements for the S2000...only other bushings replacement option is spherical bearings which cost $1400 instead of $500, and stock bushings are only available with a new arm.

It turns out that the rear upper bushing changed in 04' for the AP2...powerflex was unaware and thus I did not have a rear upper bushing that would fit. A lot of wondering and worrying went on here but after about 2 weeks powerflex announced that they made the correct bushing for the AP2. All because of my and one other order. After all was said and done with the arms they don't make you want to throw up anymore.

Wasn't sure if the ball joints had nylon in them or not, but took the risk with the powdercoater anyway. It turns out they did, and thus it melted and I needed new balljoints. These also are only sold in conjunction with a new arm...expect for

and in the mean time of waiting for the new bushings to arrive I did a little cleaning

And with the ball joints I was able to put the front suspension back together

And now. I'm hella flush

Anybody here going to the S2k challenge event at Buttonwillow next weekend?
Old 09-15-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. You got a great skill wish I had.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you still doing work as a flight instructor? I've always had this fascination with flying an airplane and wanted to take some lessons.. Eventually I want to get a pilot license.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

^ looking for work. Most of the schools here say they are quite slow, understandably as the one I instructed at in San Luis Obispo wasn't exactly super busy either. But primary goal is to find something flying up here, whether its instructing, sky dive pilot, anything really.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice work on the car and
Old 09-15-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome thread. nice work
Old 09-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL @ HELLA FLUSH PIC
lucky you!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 PM