California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Fender Rolling for the Bay Area

Old 07-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KiNgKoNg723
Can you fit a 17x9.5+25 with 255 in the rear????in other words can you pull rear panels??
As of right now, I cant pull without having the quarter panel buckle in. I'm working on making a device to pull without the quarter buckle. But no eta on that device lol
Old 07-28-2012, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Noodler
So jr94513 contacted me through PM to roll his rear quarter panels and have the bumper tab relocated and shaved at his shop in Brentwood, about 1 hour away. After rolling his fenders we concluded I f@#ked up his quarter panels. I just wanted to let everyone here know that a fender roll may not always come out perfect.

On the driver side after rolling there were some rippling under the arch of the well. How it became like that I have no clue. In attempt to fix this for him I accidentally chipped his paint with the fender finisher, one of the screws holding the protection padding was angled in a way to scratch his paint. This can be seen nearby where the quarter panel meets the bumper. On his passenger a same dimple of paint had bubbled, possibly from too much heat. After some negotiation it was either pay to repaint his car or leave with gas money. I chose to leave with my gas money.

[attachment=24574:IMG_3591.jpg]
[attachment=24575:IMG_3592.jpg]
[attachment=24576:IMG_3593.jpg]
[attachment=24577:IMG_3594.jpg]
[attachment=24578:IMG_3595.jpg]
[attachment=24579:IMG_3596.jpg]
[attachment=24580:IMG_3597.jpg]
[attachment=24581:IMG_3598.jpg]

On a good note. I didn't buckle his quarter panels like most of us are afraid of while obtaining a flat roll. Just wanted to use this as an example of a roll going not the way it should. I also want to thank jr94513 for considering my reputation when he said I can leave this off the forums. My reputation means nothing when dealing with other people's money and car; a good job done is expected. I hope to still roll fenders for those still interested. Otherwise I wish everyone the best of luck.
There is always a threshold when pulling fenders, especially when coming close to the limit & pushing it beyond the capabilities of where a roll job should end & bodyshop work should begin. This is an example which the owner should put in consideration & factor in these possibilities + risks prior to requesting a roll to be done, knowing that if this indeed happens; its acceptable to them.

It unfortunate there may have been an oversight with the tooling process, if that is the real case...

for an honest approach here to make a full disclaimer to the boards in all transparency. Good help is hard to find these days & especially someone that is willing to travel out miles away (Brentwood is fawking far from the southbay in exchange for gas money). Looking at those pics, I still think thats a damn good job for a roll/pull. Most pulls Ive seen come out wavey/wonky/uneven in various frequencies. It sure looks better than my pull.

If you want to see a definition of a job that went wrong & left the car totally fawked up - check in with Blue...I remember when he had some guy that was supposedly great at rolling M3 fenders butcher the crap out of his S. Blue, you got some pics of that & a recap on the story?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
Originally Posted by Noodler' timestamp='1343541364' post='21896903
So jr94513 contacted me through PM to roll his rear quarter panels and have the bumper tab relocated and shaved at his shop in Brentwood, about 1 hour away. After rolling his fenders we concluded I f@#ked up his quarter panels. I just wanted to let everyone here know that a fender roll may not always come out perfect.

On the driver side after rolling there were some rippling under the arch of the well. How it became like that I have no clue. In attempt to fix this for him I accidentally chipped his paint with the fender finisher, one of the screws holding the protection padding was angled in a way to scratch his paint. This can be seen nearby where the quarter panel meets the bumper. On his passenger a same dimple of paint had bubbled, possibly from too much heat. After some negotiation it was either pay to repaint his car or leave with gas money. I chose to leave with my gas money.

On a good note. I didn't buckle his quarter panels like most of us are afraid of while obtaining a flat roll. Just wanted to use this as an example of a roll going not the way it should. I also want to thank jr94513 for considering my reputation when he said I can leave this off the forums. My reputation means nothing when dealing with other people's money and car; a good job done is expected. I hope to still roll fenders for those still interested. Otherwise I wish everyone the best of luck.
There is always a threshold when pulling fenders, especially when coming close to the limit & pushing it beyond the capabilities of where a roll job should end & bodyshop work should begin. This is an example which the owner should put in consideration & factor in these possibilities + risks prior to requesting a roll to be done, knowing that if this indeed happens; its acceptable to them.

It unfortunate there may have been an oversight with the tooling process, if that is the real case...

for an honest approach here to make a full disclaimer to the boards in all transparency. Good help is hard to find these days & especially someone that is willing to travel out miles away (Brentwood is fawking far from the southbay in exchange for gas money). Looking at those pics, I still think thats a damn good job for a roll/pull. Most pulls Ive seen come out wavey/wonky/uneven in various frequencies. It sure looks better than my pull.

If you want to see a definition of a job that went wrong & left the car totally fawked up - check in with Blue...I remember when he had some guy that was supposedly great at rolling M3 fenders butcher the crap out of his S. Blue, you got some pics of that & a recap on the story?
It doesnt look bad at all in the pics because you cant really see it. It was dark and cell phone pics did not capture the damage done to the fender, it looks really bad on the driver side and it doesnt help that my car is black. Most of you know how noticeable any scratch or blemish can be, let alone a wavy fender. The damage is done, going back and forth is not going to fix it and I am extremely upset that I am going to have to get the quarters repaired and sprayed or put asm rear over fenders which will set me back on my build. I guess you live and learn and move on.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great work I will hit you up in the near future
Old 07-29-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by jr94513
Originally Posted by slightly2ned' timestamp='1343545517' post='21896942
[quote name='Noodler' timestamp='1343541364' post='21896903']

It doesnt look bad at all in the pics because you cant really see it. It was dark and cell phone pics did not capture the damage done to the fender, it looks really bad on the driver side and it doesnt help that my car is black. Most of you know how noticeable any scratch or blemish can be, let alone a wavy fender. The damage is done, going back and forth is not going to fix it and I am extremely upset that I am going to have to get the quarters repaired and sprayed or put asm rear over fenders which will set me back on my build. I guess you live and learn and move on.
[/quote]

I Sure hope you knew what you were getting into by having your fenders rolled. Without a body shop doing it there are no guarentees and YOU take responsibility by having someone roll the fenders. Im sure Son did nothing different than all the other rolls he has done.Some cars are just different and not every paint job and fender will hold up the same. I have done my fair share of fenders and I always make sure to put out the disclaimer that I am not responsible if paint cracks or the fender buckles. I would have no way of knowing if the car has been repainted or if it has previously had body work. With that said I still vouch for Son 100% on the quality of work and service that he provides.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05APdeuce
Originally Posted by jr94513' timestamp='1343551362' post='21896999
[quote name='slightly2ned' timestamp='1343545517' post='21896942']

[/quote]

I Sure hope you knew what you were getting into by having your fenders rolled. Without a body shop doing it there are no guarentees and YOU take responsibility by having someone roll the fenders. Im sure Son did nothing different than all the other rolls he has done.Some cars are just different and not every paint job and fender will hold up the same. I have done my fair share of fenders and I always make sure to put out the disclaimer that I am not responsible if paint cracks or the fender buckles. I would have no way of knowing if the car has been repainted or if it has previously had body work. With that said I still vouch for Son 100% on the quality of work and service that he provides.
[/quote]

I assumed he was experienced with s2ks and knowing what to do and what not to do considering he has been doing this for some time now. If i would have known the job was going to turn out like that, I would have driven to so cal and had spunky do them since I had already talked to him about taking the drive down there but was still debating on going or waiting for him to come to the bay area. It would have saved me money and a headache for both of us. He never warned me about it turning out wavy like it did or caused the paint to bubble up how it did. My car has 100% oem paint and quarter panels NO body work done. Now I am stuck with a sh*tty looking fender and a bubble on the paint, then have to pay a bunch of money to get it repaired and be ok with it. Like i said we can go back and forth but that's not going to fix anything, so I wouuld rather try and put that behind me and fork out the money for repairs to have it done right. Its easy to say this or that when your on the other end of the deal and its not your car being damaged...
Old 07-29-2012, 01:50 PM

The pics of the silverstone aren't very impressive. The left side is wavy and looks to be pulled because the flat lip is gone. The right side doesn't match as the lip is still on the fender.

I'd like to see pics of a simple roll, no flare or pull.

You're trying to promote you can roll fenders, but doesn't seem like you can do it right. Most would be better off using a baseball bat from the pics I've seen.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by jr94513
Originally Posted by 05APdeuce' timestamp='1343590458' post='21897471
[quote name='jr94513' timestamp='1343551362' post='21896999']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I assumed he was experienced with s2ks and knowing what to do and what not to do considering he has been doing this for some time now. If i would have known the job was going to turn out like that, I would have driven to so cal and had spunky do them since I had already talked to him about taking the drive down there but was still debating on going or waiting for him to come to the bay area. It would have saved me money and a headache for both of us. He never warned me about it turning out wavy like it did or caused the paint to bubble up how it did. My car has 100% oem paint and quarter panels NO body work done. Now I am stuck with a sh*tty looking fender and a bubble on the paint, then have to pay a bunch of money to get it repaired and be ok with it. Like i said we can go back and forth but that's not going to fix anything, so I wouuld rather try and put that behind me and fork out the money for repairs to have it done right. Its easy to say this or that when your on the other end of the deal and its not your car being damaged...
[/quote]

Bring your car to the meet - I want to see this in person. I know of Spunky's work first hand on both of my S2Ks for the fronts & the rears, so that extent; I can comment on that vs what I see in person. Many other experienced veteran S2K owners will be there as well to comment & give their insight so you can have multiple feedback to mull over.

As for paint damages like bubbles or cracks - thats always put in consideration with rolls (even minor bumps from debris stuck inside the fender or from the tabs). Spunky did all of those kinds of damages to my fenders & I already anticipated that from my research & talking with experienced customers on the boards - I dont hold him to that at all nor does it bother me (those that know me will know I hold a high expectation to labor diligence). There is a threshold to what is acceptable or not with those kind of damages; its not going to be perfect (or close to perfect) when using the typical rolling method only til you have a bodyshop do it with a repaint.

Originally Posted by T00fast
The pics of the silverstone aren't very impressive. The left side is wavy and looks to be pulled because the flat lip is gone. The right side doesn't match as the lip is still on the fender.
The silverstone is a BEFORE & AFTER (read it). AFTER (right side of the picture), meaning Son repaired the work of someone else's fender roll job (before left side of the picture) - the wavy portion you are referring to which was done by someone else.

FYI - the first pic is a different Silverstone car from the following pics. Look at the wheel colors.

You're trying to promote you can roll fenders, but doesn't seem like you can do it right. Most would be better off using a baseball bat from the pics I've seen.
This is a moron comment. Stating MOST would be better off with a baseball bat job done to an S2K compared to this job? Show me some pics/videos of a few baseball bat jobs on an S2K please, to enlighten me how it can be remotely better than this kind of job in particular with the proper tools used.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
Originally Posted by jr94513' timestamp='1343597768' post='21897627
[quote name='05APdeuce' timestamp='1343590458' post='21897471']
[quote name='jr94513' timestamp='1343551362' post='21896999']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bring your car to the meet - I want to see this in person. I know of Spunky's work first hand on both of my S2Ks for the fronts & the rears, so that extent; I can comment on that vs what I see in person. Many other experienced veteran S2K owners will be there as well to comment & give their insight so you can have multiple feedback to mull over.

As for paint damages like bubbles or cracks - thats always put in consideration with rolls (even minor bumps from debris stuck inside the fender or from the tabs). Spunky did all of those kinds of damages to my fenders & I already anticipated that from my research & talking with experienced customers on the boards - I dont hold him to that at all nor does it bother me (those that know me will know I hold a high expectation to labor diligence). There is a threshold to what is acceptable or not with those kind of damages; its not going to be perfect (or close to perfect) when using the typical rolling method only til you have a bodyshop do it with a repaint.

The silverstone is a BEFORE & AFTER (read it). AFTER (right side of the picture), meaning Son repaired the work of someone else's fender roll job (before left side of the picture) - the wavy portion you are referring to which was done by someone else.

FYI - the first pic is a different Silverstone car from the following pics. Look at the wheel colors.

This is a moron comment. Stating MOST would be better off with a baseball bat job done to an S2K compared to this job? Show me some pics/videos of a few baseball bat jobs on an S2K please, to enlighten me how it can be remotely better than this kind of job in particular with the proper tools used.
[/quote]

It will be a while before i head out to a milpitas meet. Look dude i seen your car first hand when it was on the lift and i recall telling you that who ever rolled your fender did a hell of job. It looks 1000 times better than mine, if you would like you can come down and have who ever else you want come and check it out. I have nothing to hide! Like i said in previous post with a black car you will notice the tiniest imperfection imagine a wavy a$$ fender. I think the damage done is unacceptable. If he would have done the drivers side like the passenger side and gotten the bubble on the paint i would have been ok with it, but fu8king up the driver side and then the bubble and the paint chipped on the driver side. It seems too much
Old 07-29-2012, 11:17 PM

JDMDREW FTW! Did mine and relocated my tabs with no issues whatsoever. I wouldn't be happy with these results either, yeah assuming you really offered to pay for the damages is a stand up thing even if he didn't accept your offer however beyond that agreement who knows what may have happened.

Bottomline, there should be some sort of verbal/written agreement with customers/members to let them know that damage can occur. This is why most shops charge up the ass to do the work. It's due to the liability of messing up.

Quick Reply: Fender Rolling for the Bay Area