California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

faster times @ speedring?

Old 04-18-2002, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dromo1 web site is HERE .

They run races every 15 minutes. A "race" consists of about 6
laps of qualifying and about 18 to 20 laps of racing.

I don't remember the brand of kart they run. They have a new
fleet of karts that should roll out very soon!
Old 04-19-2002, 11:28 AM
dsp

[QUOTE]Originally posted by foolio
[B]I've been to Speedring 4 times, and I haven't been able to break 33 secs yet.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by dsp

i've only been once, about a year ago, and turned times in the high 31s. is that before or after the track change?

anyway i was only in the 33s for several laps, and was able to improve my times dramatically by just doing two things:
1) carrying more speed through the final turn and into the back straight, and braking late & straight into turn 1
2) NOT breaking the rear end loose. i found that this scrubbed off tons of speed, and there's just not enough torque to compensate.

of course, i weigh ~160 so maybe i'm too light to get it to slide nicely.
Yes, when exactly did they "smooth out" the track?

If you're saying you were able to get high 31s without breaking traction on the rear tires, that's completely opposite of what jjanicke suggested. Perhaps you raced when the track was "faster"?
Old 04-19-2002, 11:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4IGS2000
[B]Just went out there today for my first time.
I managed a 31.8
Old 04-19-2002, 12:46 PM
dsp

[B]If you're saying you were able to get high 31s without breaking traction on the rear tires, that's completely opposite of what jjanicke suggested.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:10 PM

The track change happened early summer of last year. The fact that you weigh 160lbs will severely help you when accelerating out of the turns. You have to avoid losing traction and momentum. The key to being really fast is to get the rear end to kick out, keep the momentum and corner much faster. If you lose speed and your tires start spinning, not sliding, then you'll lose at lot of speed.

With the original track a 31.8 isn't bad for a first time driver. Your weight definitely helped you. On the original track they were down in the 28s. On the new track getting into the 29s, even 30s is a feat.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by jjanicke
The track change happened early summer of last year. The fact that you weigh 160lbs will severely help you when accelerating out of the turns. You have to avoid losing traction and momentum. The key to being really fast is to get the rear end to kick out, keep the momentum and corner much faster. If you lose speed and your tires start spinning, not sliding, then you'll lose at lot of speed.

With the original track a 31.8 isn't bad for a first time driver. Your weight definitely helped you. On the original track they were down in the 28s. On the new track getting into the 29s, even 30s is a feat.
Yeah, when I said "breaking traction", I really meant "kicking rear end out". I am going to try that after my blisters healed! Here's another tip: if your gloves have holes in them, exchange them for another one! I found this out the painful way..

dsp, let us know how you do.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:37 AM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[B]

What about you 4IGS2000?
Old 04-21-2002, 12:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4IGS2000
[B]

then ass slide your hips to the opposite direction of the turn

Turning
Old 04-22-2002, 11:13 AM
dsp

Originally posted by foolio
dsp, let us know how you do.
how disappointing...

i was driving pretty sloppy through the whole sprint heat, but was still able to take the pole, turn in the six fastest laps of the session, and stay in first place for the first 21 laps having built a ~20 sec lead over 2nd place. then, while braking for a crash (local yellow was out), i got rear-ended, spun, pinned against the wall, and passed by several karts. there were only ten laps to go, so i finished in 5th place out of 14.

seemed like there weren't enough course officials there to blue flag the tortoises. oh well, turns out i'm no hotshoe anyway. best lap was a 33.99. although i can't remember if there were any laps where i wasn't stuck behind someone for at least a turn or two.

i still can't figure out the 2nd to last turn (kink right into the straightaway by the lobby).

$

Quick Reply: faster times @ speedring?