California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

eyes on the road! they doubled the fine.. again!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanzel28
Damn! I bet they will eventually come up with "No eating while driving".

or putting make up.. lol i caught that too dan but i fail so much i cant edit it
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 AM

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD WHEN YOUR SIG IMAGE IS SO DISTRACTING
Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
Originally Posted by rydelow' timestamp='1303808351' post='20507861
[quote name='ninjajwl' timestamp='1303804506' post='20507790']
State must really be running out of money. Band aid fix to a much bigger problem.
While the state is hurting with the budget and raising fines here and there to help, this law does serve a purpose. I always see people texting and still holding phones up to their ears which make them drive even worse. If you can't buy a cheap bluetooth, guess you're gonna pay for it
It helps, but considering how little cops there are on the road and how many people constantly get away with this crime, it hardly makes a dent in our state budget deficit. Lowering our state debt is going to take a lot more than raising the fine on a crime like this. There are other ways to reduce our deficit, this isn't one of them.

Instead, I feel like it punishes a few of us who use our cell phones safely. A person who is able to multitask who just wants to call for directions does not deserved to be categorized with the stereotypical teenage girl who wants to chat for 30 minutes in traffic. I've used my cell phone plenty of times, but never for more than a minute while in the car. I purchased a Bluetooth headset a while back, but it is such a hassle to put on and I have trouble hearing from it sometimes.
[/quote]

You said it, the few of us who use our cell phones safely, for the gross majority of everyone else, how often have you gotten mad at someone driving like a total retard all over the road while on the cell phone. Wether I'm on bicycle or car, it's a daily occurrence for me. If you really only do use your cell phone so occasionally, you have much less to worry about than the typical teenage girl chatting 30 minutes in traffic who is much more likely to get nabbed by this increase in fines. Don't feel singled out -- you were just as likely to get fined as before. Just that fines went up for everyone by 61%.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 AM

Instead, I feel like it punishes a few of us who use our cell phones safely. A person who is able to multitask who just wants to call for directions does not deserved to be categorized with the stereotypical teenage girl who wants to chat for 30 minutes in traffic.
I sympathize, but I gotta disagree -- I'm all for punishing the shit out of bad drivers, and in my daily commuting experience, the correlation of driving poorly with using a cell phone while doing so is really, really high. Given that, the assumption should be that everyone doing it deserves a ticket. I'm not making any claims about what that ticket should cost, though.

The workaround seems pretty fair to me -- get a Bluetooth handsfree system, or a corded set of earbuds with a mic, or just wait until you aren't driving to use your phone.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

This is really easy to avoid, get a $40 Bluetooth. It's nicer and easier to talk with.

I'm happy to have people ticketed for this. Considering my last two close calls with drivers have been morons on their phones. Clearly people are getting dumber, and giving them more to do in their car is making them a bad drive. If they were good drivers we wouldn't have the law.

Way I see it, fine the stupids. The smart people won't get tickets.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM

I've almost been hit by a few people on thier phones,so I welcome this and since most can't talk and drive at the same time I don't see it as silly. Think of those who have been killed or badly injured by some idiot who thought they could talk,text and drive at the same time.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ryanmatic
Originally Posted by ninjajwl' timestamp='1303833769' post='20508882
Instead, I feel like it punishes a few of us who use our cell phones safely. A person who is able to multitask who just wants to call for directions does not deserved to be categorized with the stereotypical teenage girl who wants to chat for 30 minutes in traffic.
I sympathize, but I gotta disagree -- I'm all for punishing the shit out of bad drivers, and in my daily commuting experience, the correlation of driving poorly with using a cell phone while doing so is really, really high. Given that, the assumption should be that everyone doing it deserves a ticket. I'm not making any claims about what that ticket should cost, though.

The workaround seems pretty fair to me -- get a Bluetooth handsfree system, or a corded set of earbuds with a mic, or just wait until you aren't driving to use your phone.
I absolutely see where you're coming from and there is no logical rebuttal for this. There is no feasible way to distinguish a driver who is capable to drive and talk on the cell phone at the same time and one who can't. However, how is talking through the speakerphone on a cell phone (yes, this seems to be what everyone's moved on to) safer than holding up the phone to your ear? In the end, it still seems like an ineffective band aid fix to a much greater problem: terrible drivers sharing the road with us. At least this law did get rid of texting while driving.

I also remember when this fine was just 20 dollars, non moving violation. .. Times sure have changed.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 PM

However, how is talking through the speakerphone on a cell phone (yes, this seems to be what everyone's moved on to) safer than holding up the phone to your ear?
It definitely isn't any safer.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kaansahbaz
no front license plate ticket came out $672
You were late... I just paid my no license plate fee 2 weeks ago, it was $25 dollars.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I absolutely see where you're coming from and there is no logical rebuttal for this. There is no feasible way to distinguish a driver who is capable to drive and talk on the cell phone at the same time and one who can't. However, how is talking through the speakerphone on a cell phone (yes, this seems to be what everyone's moved on to) safer than holding up the phone to your ear? In the end, it still seems like an ineffective band aid fix to a much greater problem: terrible drivers sharing the road with us. At least this law did get rid of texting while driving.

I also remember when this fine was just 20 dollars, non moving violation. .. Times sure have changed.
Honestly. It isn't at all any safer. It's just harder to catch.

Quick Reply: eyes on the road! they doubled the fine.. again!