California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

east bayers watch out - my seats were stolen yesterday

Old 06-26-2012, 03:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by obsess2k'ed
Where do you think that $9k comes from? Insurance companies aren't in business to repeatedly take losses.
The insurance companies are running a for-profit model of business whereby they wouldn't be in business if their model didn't work. Its basically a big gamble, and the insurance company wins that gamble a huge amount of the time. I know you already know this. I just felt like stating it that way.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you ^^. I have friends who are agents and they laugh when I bring this up and shrug they'e shoulders...

and itching for a payout? Hardly. I'd suggest you better take a second look at that statment and get to know me personally before throwing assumptions like that out. I've got the money to buy what I need, But that money doesn't come easily and I'm not going to waste it on the same garbage anymore that you are buying to protect your car.

Car alarms, Quick releases, cutouts, locks... It all means nothing to me. Just because you waste your money on it doesn't mean its your civic duty to force it on anyone else. Go preach to someone who cares...
Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by obsess2k'ed' timestamp='1340670821' post='21810937
Where do you think that $9k comes from? Insurance companies aren't in business to repeatedly take losses.
The insurance companies are running a for-profit model of business whereby they wouldn't be in business if their model didn't work. Its basically a big gamble, and the insurance company wins that gamble a huge amount of the time. I know you already know this. I just felt like stating it that way.
Like I said, I don't claim to know the details of how insurance underwriting works. But it makes logical sense that when a company underestimates their long-term costs for something, they will eventually adjust via higher prices. And if they overestimate, they at least have the option to bring prices down in the long run, which they have incentive to do to stay competitive.

I doubt shoplifting is simply written off and unaccounted for in our retail prices. Just like I doubt insurance companies are not going to adjust their premiums when a certain vehicle becomes a target for a theft epidemic. I don't see how they would have predicted a seat theft epidemic on the S2000 before it started. If anyone here is an insurance underwriter, I'd welcome an education on this.

Honestly though, this part has very little effect on me so I don't really care. The thing I care about is making sure my car still has seats the next time I see it.

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Thank you ^^. I have friends who are agents and they laugh when I bring this up and shrug they'e shoulders...

and itching for a payout? Hardly. I'd suggest you better take a second look at that statment and get to know me personally before throwing assumptions like that out. I've got the money to buy what I need, But that money doesn't come easily and I'm not going to waste it on the same garbage anymore that you are buying to protect your car.
That statement was made in reply to these:

But if seats go for $9k I'd rather pay my $100 deductable and pick up some nice Brides lol.
Besides, I pay close to $3k + a year for insurance on 3 cars. The way I see it I've paid my dues because I've had a periods of time where they have made thousands without actually ever having to pay a dime out to me.
You're the one who wrote those things, but I took them as made in jest…. I don't honestly believe you are looking to get your seats jacked. That's why my reply was tongue-in-cheek and contained a smiley face. If it came across like a personal attack, I apologize. I mean that sincerely.

Car alarms, Quick releases, cutouts, locks... It all means nothing to me.
If seat locks mean nothing to you, fine, don't buy them. But if you say they don't work, I will continue to call BS. And I posted proof. All you cited was your luck.

Just because you waste your money on it doesn't mean its your civic duty to force it on anyone else.
Force? No one's forcing anyone. And yes, I do feel a responsibility to bring up seat locks and their effectiveness for people who don't know about them or who may have been told they are ineffective. Sharing information about the S2000 is one of the major reasons why this forum exists.

Go preach to someone who cares...
It's an open forum. You're not the only one reading this thread.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've moved on.. He/she knows what they need to do.