California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

east bayers watch out - my seats were stolen yesterday

Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

See if you can work them for a hard top too so this doesn't happen again. (at least in the same manner) If you you bought OEM seats used you would have more than enough for an OEM soft top, and a replica hardtop. Or vice versa replica soft top and OEM hard top.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06s2000chic
I really do appreciate all of your feedback. I need all the suggestions and information I can get right now. I have Mercury Insurance.
they should take care of you then!

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
See if you can work them for a hard top too so this doesn't happen again. (at least in the same manner) If you you bought OEM seats used you would have more than enough for an OEM soft top, and a replica hardtop. Or vice versa replica soft top and OEM hard top.
oh yea! i forgot he has the top slash too
you might as well just get a hardtop + aftermarket seats.. unless you want to keep it stock?
Old 06-24-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding BART to the list of places NOT to leave my S. My condolences on your loss.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:41 PM

Just throwing this out there... Possibility?? Or is this someone here?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/3069076815.html

This shit is dirt cheap.. He has panels too for $150

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/3078300949.html
Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car got hit last night in santa clara for exhaust tips. But its nothing compared to your loss sorry to hear that man. Dont park anywhere near Homestead and Lawrence got hit in less then 1 hour!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:41 PM

Sorry to hear about this. I know I would be furious to be violated like this. I hope the POS who did this gets what's coming to him.

Please consider buying a set of seat locks to protect your next pair of seats:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/177...ns-coming-back

This is a good time for anyone who doesn't have them to think about buying them. For only $60 bucks, it is well worth the satisfaction of knowing that any scumbag with a knife and a wrench cannot easily harvest your seats.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by obsess2k'ed
Sorry to hear about this. I know I would be furious to be violated like this. I hope the POS who did this gets what's coming to him.

This is a good time for anyone who doesn't have them to think about buying them. For only $60 bucks, it is well worth the satisfaction of knowing that any scumbag with a knife and a wrench cannot easily harvest your seats.
As the value on my car drops its not a bad idea as I don't want my car to ever be determined a salvage.. But if seats go for $9k I'd rather pay my $100 deductable and pick up some nice Brides lol. My seats are Suzuka Blue though, So I don't think I have anything to worry about. It's not a popular color for Civic/Integra/Prelude owners..
Old 06-25-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by obsess2k'ed' timestamp='1340667699' post='21810837

As the value on my car drops its not a bad idea as I don't want my car to ever be determined a salvage.. But if seats go for $9k I'd rather pay my $100 deductable and pick up some nice Brides lol. My seats are Suzuka Blue though, So I don't think I have anything to worry about. It's not a popular color for Civic/Integra/Prelude owners..
To each his own I guess. I'd rather not let thieves profit off our backs, period. It just gives them more incentive to strike again. You may come out ahead in that one case but it brings the whole community down in the long run. Where do you think that $9k comes from? Insurance companies aren't in business to repeatedly take losses.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by obsess2k'ed
Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1340670351' post='21810923
[quote name='obsess2k'ed' timestamp='1340667699' post='21810837']

To each his own I guess. I'd rather not let thieves profit off our backs, period. It just gives them more incentive to strike again. You may come out ahead in that one case but it brings the whole community down in the long run. Where do you think that $9k comes from? Insurance companies aren't in business to repeatedly take losses.
[/quote]

If they want it they will get it. There is no stopping a thief.. I've been modifying cars since back in 99 and I've lost a few to theft. Just because you put a custom lock on a seat doesn't make your car any safer. I honestly find that the less I do to prevent theft the more luck I end up having.

Besides, I pay close to $3k + a year for insurance on 3 cars. The way I see it I've paid my dues because I've had a periods of time where they have made thousands without actually ever having to pay a dime out to me. You say it drives down the community, I say they're in a multi million dollar industry for a reason and I believe they pay out far less money than they recieve. How do I know this? Get into an accident, or get a speeding ticket. You'll find out real quick how they react to it.

I'm by no means a theif, I just have no intention of putting out extra money to protect my investment when it has done absolutely nothing to protect my property thus far.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by obsess2k'ed' timestamp='1340670821' post='21810937
[quote name='Thateguhate' timestamp='1340670351' post='21810923']
[quote name='obsess2k'ed' timestamp='1340667699' post='21810837']

[/quote]

If they want it they will get it. There is no stopping a thief.. I've been modifying cars since back in 99 and I've lost a few to theft. Just because you put a custom lock on a seat doesn't make your car any safer. I honestly find that the less I do to prevent theft the more luck I end up having.

Besides, I pay close to $3k + a year for insurance on 3 cars. The way I see it I've paid my dues because I've had a periods of time where they have made thousands without actually ever having to pay a dime out to me. You say it drives down the community, I say they're in a multi million dollar industry for a reason and I believe they pay out far less money than they recieve. How do I know this? Get into an accident, or get a speeding ticket. You'll find out real quick how they react to it.

I'm by no means a theif, I just have no intention of putting out extra money to protect my investment when it has done absolutely nothing to protect my property thus far.
[/quote]

The custom locks do make my seats more secure. "If they want it they will get it" suggests that it's all or nothing. But it isn't all or nothing. Seat locks make it way way harder for your seats to be stolen. Not impossible, just way less likely. There have been accounts of S2000's stolen, stripped and recovered with the seats still inside, due to the seat locks. Here's one example:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/529...ts-locks-work/

I have yet to see a thread where someone penetrated through the seat locks with the car left parked in place. Not saying it couldn't happen, but reality is that if a thief can't take what he wants from a car within a couple of minutes, he will most likely move on.

It's why we lock our doors, we don't write our PIN on our ATM cards, we buckle our seat belts, etc. Nothing is guaranteed but it doesn't mean risk can't be managed to some extent or another. It is a small effort to reduce the risk of a big downside.

If luck works for you, more power to you. It's your money and your S2000. Obviously you don't have to buy any security you don't believe is worth it.

And if you're itching for a payout to get revenge on the insurance companies for all the money you pay them, you now know where to park your car.

But insurance companies aren't stupid. I don't claim to know how their underwriting works, but if there is a theft epidemic related to a particular vehicle, I seriously doubt it's going to go unnoticed or they will just say, "oh well, I guess we'll just live with slimmer profits on this type of car."

Chances are, we, as a group, are paying for the seats that get stolen. And if the thefts were to go down, economics would suggest that premiums would go down too, because insurance companies compete with one another for your business.

Quick Reply: east bayers watch out - my seats were stolen yesterday