California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

East Bay Honda s2000 Windshield Replacement

Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default East Bay Honda s2000 Windshield Replacement

I've got a crack that wont stop!
Who knows of a windshield replacement company that can help me out.

Who's got firsthand experience with this sort of thing?

The only quote I've gotten so far was a place my dad uses in South San Francisco: "$250 aftermarket glass. $270 PPG glass [used by honda & other car people] PPG needs a couple days lead time to order. They are open on Sat. You can schedule yourself in/it takes a couple of hours. Price includes the trim. Add tax"
Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.kuttek.com/

tell them blue with the Civic Type R, S2000 and STi sent you. theyve been replacing my windshields for years now and i have no complaints about any of them. they give you a choice of oem windshield/ oem moldings, oem windshield/aftermarket moldinds, or aftermarket windshield/oem moldings. i went with the last option.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eklipz98

The only quote I've gotten so far was a place my dad uses in South San Francisco: "$250 aftermarket glass. $270 PPG glass [used by honda & other car people] PPG needs a couple days lead time to order. They are open on Sat. You can schedule yourself in/it takes a couple of hours. Price includes the trim. Add tax"
What happened man? wasn't that kid with the ball was it?
Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fujin
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1322676057' post='21198120

What happened man? wasn't that kid with the ball was it?
Ahahaha, I heard about you protecting my car from the evil youth of Walnut Creek. Thank you for that.
It appears to be a rock chip in that spot just below the windshield wiper on the driver's side.
I didn't know this, but apparently that's a common spot for rocks to get sucked into the windshield.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by -outkast-
http://www.kuttek.com/

tell them blue with the Civic Type R, S2000 and STi sent you. theyve been replacing my windshields for years now and i have no complaints about any of them. they give you a choice of oem windshield/ oem moldings, oem windshield/aftermarket moldinds, or aftermarket windshield/oem moldings. i went with the last option.
Thank you Blue, I will get a quote from them ASAP.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine replaced about two weeks ago and I just called my insurance company and they replaced it for $100 (my comprehensive deductible). It was done by Safelite and they came and did it while I was at work. It was aftermarket glass, and the total price was $343.15.

I can't say I'm terribly happy with it, though. The mirror is higher than it was before and the tech scratched the window frame. He painted over it, but you can still see the mark.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:01 PM

BTW, if you go the insurance route, you don't have to use whoever they refer you to.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by -BTT-
I had mine replaced about two weeks ago and I just called my insurance company and they replaced it for $100 (my comprehensive deductible). It was done by Safelite and they came and did it while I was at work. It was aftermarket glass, and the total price was $343.15.I can't say I'm terribly happy with it, though. The mirror is higher than it was before and the tech scratched the window frame. He painted over it, but you can still see the mark.
Good information to be weary of...the location of the rear view, and spot checking (and documenting) for near-window damages.

BTW, if you go the insurance route, you don't have to use whoever they refer you to.
My current comp deductible is $500. I priced out the premium increases to reduce deductible to $250, and $100, and so long as I dont get a new windshield every year, I'll be better off paying out of pocket. I'm with State Farm.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
spot checking (and documenting) for near-window damages.
This is a lame description, but the black part of the frame is some soft-ish coating material on top of the metal. This is the ~1.5" shiny black part in between the rubber seals. That's what he scratched/tore through, so yeah, make sure you check it closely. Edit: [I should note that mine's a MY01. The design may have changed...]

For the mirror, make a mental note, or better yet, take some pics beforehand. Afterwards, take your time, sit in the car and adjust the mirror to its proper position and make sure it's in a reasonable spot.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1322722670' post='21200431
spot checking (and documenting) for near-window damages.
This is a lame description, but the black part of the frame is some soft-ish coating material on top of the metal. This is the ~1.5" shiny black part in between the rubber seals. That's what he scratched/tore through, so yeah, make sure you check it closely. Edit: [I should note that mine's a MY01. The design may have changed...]

For the mirror, make a mental note, or better yet, take some pics beforehand. Afterwards, take your time, sit in the car and adjust the mirror to its proper position and make sure it's in a reasonable spot.
Thank you so much. I happen to have some sort of deformed/defective "tape" on the side section of my windshield frame on the outside. So it will be interesting to see what happens when the windshield is removed during replacement.

Quick Reply: East Bay Honda s2000 Windshield Replacement