drive on sunday

Old 08-03-2001, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by josh3io
i wonder where tourists don't go...
Nacimiento Road
Old 08-03-2001, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll join.. Where are you planning to meet?
Maybe at the Park And Ride on Page Mill?
Old 08-04-2001, 05:49 PM

Well?

I have to pick someone up at SFO at Noon, so unless it's an early one...

Let us know, time place?

Andy
Old 08-04-2001, 06:34 PM

nacimiento road was covered in loose gravel when i drove it just a few weeks ago...but maybe we can find some other cool roads down south there.
Old 08-04-2001, 07:52 PM

Just out of curiosity, what's Mt. Hamilton Road like on a Sunday morning? Don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that the Rangers have issued tickets to cars w/o front license plates in the past. BTW, where is Nacimiento Road? Sounds familiar, but I can't find it in my Thomas Guide.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:11 AM

It's 2am on sunday, no decision has been made. Looks like there will be no formal drive tomorrow, so every man for themselves? See you out there....
Andy
Old 08-05-2001, 06:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 00SType
[B]Just out of curiosity, what's Mt. Hamilton Road like on a Sunday morning?
Old 08-05-2001, 08:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by josh3io
[B]

mt hamilton is touristy.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:52 AM

I ended up heading up Black Road to Skyline, down Hwy 9 to Felton, Turned left up my Mt Hermon and into Santa Cruz. At 930am there was still not a whole lot of traffic. the return trip was more fun as there was almost no traffic (I got to Santa Cruz and turned around...right on hwy 1 and immediate right back onto River (Hwy 9). ( was empty that early in the Am until I hit Felton, so i turned up Alba (Which is newly paved!!!!with slurry seal for teh first half up) turned onto Empiore Grade, came back down Jamison Crk back into Buolder Creek. Since 9 was more crowded by then, I took Bear Creek all the way back to 17. There was NO traffic on Bear Creek so it was a scream!

So long as its dry on the road, early morning drive are the best with almost no one on the road.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:46 PM

The road up to Mt. Hamilton is what you put up with so that you can drive the wonderful San Antonio Valley Road from there to the junction, then Mines Road back down into Livermore. If you have time, Del Puerto Canyon Road from the junction out to Patterson and Highway 5 is also worth the trip. There are some great high speed sweepers down at the bottom. Just watch for cows on the road.

From my experience, there is one county sheriff that patrols that whole section. I had a good talk with him when I was with a friend who had just crashed his Ducati last summer. He said that they average 3 bike crashes per weekend up there (ours was the first for that weekend). His main goal is safety, not handing out as many tickets as possible. The guy who patrols the front side of Mt. Hamilton writes more tickets. You're not likely to run into radar traps on the back side of Mt. Hamilton like you will on the front side. There are also a lot less tourists on the back side.

In general, the earlier you start the better traffic is. You're also less likely to be involved in law enforcement activities earlier in the day.

YMMV

Quick Reply: drive on sunday