California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Discussion for the Next Group Drive

Old 02-14-2002, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is another route that starts Stonetown Galleria. This one is cleaner than the last one (ie. less overlap). If we can find a starting pt closer to Twin Peaks, it will look even shorter. BTW, this event has a potential to be our annual trademark event. So if we can get past the initial pain, we can accomplish something special together!

0. Start at Stonetown Galleria
1. Turn left at 19th Ave
2. Turn right at Sloat Blvd
3. Turn left to Protola Dr
4. Turn left to Twin Peaks Blvd
5. Stop on the Twin Peaks (*), get back to Portola Dr and make a left
6. Turn right to Clipper St
7. Turn left to Castro St
8. Turn right to Market St
9. Turn right to 4th St
10. Turn left at Berry St
11. Berry St becomes Embarcadero St becomes Jefferson St, stop at a certain Pier (*)
12. Turn left to Hyde St
13. Turn left to Lombard, stop at Crooked St (*)
14. Turn left at Taylor St
15. Turn left at Bay St
16. Turn right to Webster St
17. Turn left to Marina Blvd
18. Turn left at Palace Dr, stop at Palace of Fine Arts (*)
19. Turn right and then left to Bay St
20. Turn right to Dovisadero St
21. Turn right to Lombard St/101
22. Exit Golden Gate Vista Pt (*)
23. Get back to 101, exit to Sausalito Lateral Rd
24. Turn left at Bunker Rd, pass Fort Baker Fort Barry Tunnel
25. Stay straight to Field Rd
26. Turn left to Conzelman Rd
27. Turn left to Sausalito Lateral Rd
28. Back to 101 if we do coastal drive, continue through Sausalito Lateral Rd will lead us to Sausalito

Ok. Eliminated Chinatown and Boardway Tunnel
Old 02-14-2002, 08:58 AM

Having planned a few meets and drives myself, and having attended just a few more , I would suggest that you pare down the locations and save some for another drive. Driving through the City is a bear even as one car. Trying to keep a number of cars together is extremely challenging. If you can keep the destinations and route as simple as possible, everyone will enjoy the drive more. I am uncertain which vistas to drop to acheive a more simple route, but doing so will likely make things easier. The GG Vista point is usually really crowded, so trying to find parking there may be next to impossible. You may consider going to the other side (Marin) before stopping, although that lots is often full too...especially on weekends.
Radios and phones will be a must, so remember to bring them.
Good luck.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by yu888
...Radios and phones will be a must, so remember to bring them.
Good luck.
yes, I agree. I think EACH AND EVERY driver MUST have a radio. This way, everyone knows and hears all the directions, changes, or anything. I think you can pick up cheap ones from radio shack for a reasonable amount (if you don't want to pay $$ for motorola). Plus, since many of them come in pairs, you can split the cost with a fellow s2k-er. I also have two extras I can lend to people.

BTW, for those experienced SF drivers, you might want to chime in on which streets have the least stop lights. For instance, if we happen to be going a certain way in the city, but there is a parallel street that has way fewer lights, then it would help to take that street instead (unless we are trying to stop at a particular point).

Also, you cannot make left turns on Market street (especially in downtown area).

Well, this one's going to be a tough one, but its going to be oh so awesome!
Old 02-14-2002, 09:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yu888
[B]Having planned a few meets and drives myself, and having attended just a few more ,
Old 02-14-2002, 09:37 AM
pll

[QUOTE]Originally posted by redleader
[B]

Also, you cannot make left turns on Market street (especially in downtown area).
Old 02-14-2002, 09:38 AM

This sounds like one complex undertaking ... I hope we can pull it off with 30+ cars ... it would be amazing if we could.

I think I'll go buy some radios right now, I've been putting it off.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:25 AM

uh.. that is a lil too complicated.. the best way to find a route in the city is to drive it first.. i'll try to hit up a few of those spots.. and see how it holds this weekend.. and i'll try to find an easier route.. one that goes on the outskirts of the city to avoid the craziness on the city streets.. umvue.. i'll pm you a route and let me know what you think.. thanks..
Old 02-14-2002, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by BigRedDog
uh.. that is a lil too complicated.. the best way to find a route in the city is to drive it first.. i'll try to hit up a few of those spots.. and see how it holds this weekend.. and i'll try to find an easier route.. one that goes on the outskirts of the city to avoid the craziness on the city streets.. umvue.. i'll pm you a route and let me know what you think.. thanks..
for instance, going through the Chinatown gate. Man, that place is a big nightmare. Although it would look really cool and "touristy" to have all 30+ cars cruise through that gate, I think its an actual physical impossibility. I believe its only like one lane going through there. add to that the typical double parkers, tourists who cross the street regardless of the color of the light, and regular traffic, we've got quite a problem on our tasks. But, lets wait o see what BigRedDog has to report first!
Old 02-14-2002, 06:44 PM

hey guys, I'm not gonna go on a drive through the city... sorry, too much traffic and you WILL lose people.

Bring it up to Marin and I'll take you on some of the most amazing backroads you'll ever experience... we can probably get a bite at one of the good seafood restaurants dotting hwy1.

let me know... I suggest meeting at the "park'n'ride" just of hwy101 at SmithRanch Rd/Lucas Valley.

Otherwise I'll just show up at the first meet point and wish you good luck from there

cheers,
-loki
Old 02-14-2002, 07:34 PM

that sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than yeeman's idea.

Quick Reply: Discussion for the Next Group Drive