California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Discussion for the Next Group Drive

Old 02-10-2002, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discussion for the Next Group Drive

Based on the I saw in the drive last Saturday, it seems to me our S2Kers are craving for more drives. Now it is your chance to post here to tell other people which date and which route you prefer. I will try to find a consensus and post a drive as soon as possible. So post quick and we will have another drive in no time!

Routes:
1) SF Photogenic Group Cruise (well, not a drive but we will get lots of nice pictures. )
2) Mt Tam
3) Hwy 152 from Watsonville to Gilroy (Mt Madonna)
4) Sausalito - Fort Baker - Fort Barry
5) Calaveras Rd near NE San Jose
6) La Honda Rd (from Hwy 1)
7) Other Suggestions?

Dates:
1) 2/23 (Sat)
2) 3/2 (Sat)
Old 02-10-2002, 10:05 PM

Tunnel drive!!
Old 02-10-2002, 10:08 PM

SF would be a cool drive, we need to find a big parking lot also and take a group picture.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by sylvainsf
Tunnel drive!!

Tunnel sounds good to me too.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:51 PM

I'm cool w/ either dates, but I'd really love a cruise that takes us through SF, particularly areas like the great highway, or places like that!
Old 02-10-2002, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by bayarea408
SF would be a cool drive, we need to find a big parking lot also and take a group picture.
Hi all! I was just playing tourist to a frind that was in from jersey. how about the ultimate tourist/photoshoot drive... maybe not high speed, but we can make all the other regions jealous...

Meet in the City, plenty of parking lots off embarcadero. Drive up to Lombard Street and take a group photo stopped on Lombard.

then head over the golden gate (plenty of spaces at the marina to stop if we want) and go over into the marin Headlands (immediate left over the GG bridge).

there's some OK spots to stop along the road up there and take a picture of all the S2000's ABOVE the GG Bridge with SF in the background...

Then continue on down the single lane, one-way road that takes you over to the cliffs by the ocean, maybe grab a Sunset pic.

then head back thru the tunnel Sylvain was talking about and we'll end up in Sausalito, or on rt 101...

thougths??
Old 02-10-2002, 11:21 PM

Sf to marin and back...that sounds awesome...it doesn't get much more scenic than that!

I'm down!
Old 02-11-2002, 12:28 PM

The consensus seems to be a SF + Lower Marin scenic cruise. Let's jot down all the sightseeing points first. Once I got all the dots, then I can connect them to have a route.

1) Fisherman's Wharf
2) Boardway Tunnel
3) Lombard St
4) Palace of Fine Arts
5) Castro St
6) Chinatown gate at Bush/Grant
7) Twin Peaks
8) GG bridge
9) Sausalito Vista Pt
10) Fort Baker Fort Barry Tunnel (sylvainsf's fav tunnel)
11) Other notable places I missed?

Where is the parking lot off embarcadero? Near Embarcadero Center? Good enough for 20+ S2Ks?

I suggest we end the drive at Sausalito. Anyone know any good restaurant there?

Paul (passleft) suggested a late afternoon drive such that we may be able to catch the sunset and take some gorgeous pictures by the coast. Do you people prefer late morning (like last time) or late afternoon?
Old 02-11-2002, 12:32 PM

we should all take a group picture by Twin Peaks.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by umvue
The consensus seems to be a SF + Lower Marin scenic cruise. Let's jot down all the sightseeing points first. Once I got all the dots, then I can connect them to have a route.

1) Twin Peaks
2) Chinatown gate at Bush/Grant
3) Broadway Tunnel
4) Lombard St
5) Fisherman's Wharf
6) Palace of Fine Arts
8) GG bridge
9) Sausalito Vista Pt
10) Fort Baker Fort Barry Tunnel (sylvainsf's fav tunnel)
OK, meeting anywhere in downtown sf is a bad idea. I'd recommend we start somewhere towards the south, perhaps Tower Supermarket at Portola and Market(very very top of market). There's a large parking lot there, and sets us up to head up to twin peaks (you'll notice I adjusted your list to an order) I've left off castro street as that's a nightmare to drive through, however we will pass right by it on market in the route I have devised.
My dad was a cab driver in SF for many years, and if this itinerary sounds good, I can come up with a detailed course description which will be very easy to follow. Not to mention I'll print out enough copies for everyone this time . No point in having a spirited group for a drive like this, it will be hard enough keeping one group together to hit all these spots.

Quick Reply: Discussion for the Next Group Drive