Dinner Review: 07/06/04

Old 07-07-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dinner Review: 07/06/04

July 6, 2004
8:30PM

Occasion: Friend's Birthday
Restaurant: GARY DANKO

I have to say that high class restaurants have not really been my area of expertise. Therefore, everything that I experienced at Gary Danko was simply amazing. It also means that much of what I will write about may be typical of more expensive restaurants. Hopefully, if you've never been to a prix fixe, top rated restaurant, I can give you a taste what to expect.

Gary Danko is located just a block from Ghiradelli Square in San Francisco. Parking is not a problem as there is plenty of street as well as garage parking not more than a city block away. Valet parking is also available. In the evening, the outside of Gary Danko looks very sleek and cool. The windows are tinted black with the doors and walls painted a dark color to match. Just outside the door is the logo for the restaurant as well as small lettering that spell the name of the restaurant in a soft, pure white glow. Already the scene is impressive.

We made reservations a month in advance for 6 people. Unless you're going to hold a private party, the restaurant will not allow more than 6 per table. Upon entering, you'll find the decor is very sophistocated and pleasing. The entire restaurant is highlighted with glossy black and wooden accents. Gold lighting and mirrors play tricks on the eye making the restaurant appear to be much larger than it is. We were seated in an alcove with plenty of room for at least 8 people. Throughout the evening, our bread plates and water glasses were never empty. We went through 7 bottles of sparkling water and 3 bottles of still water. The wine list is extensive enough to satisfy most wine connoiseurs with selections in the ranging from $100 to a $8000. Needless to say, there are no limits as Gary Danko handles special request if made a few weeks prior to a reservation.

One can choose from a 3, 4, or 5-course dinner which includes appetizers, seafood, meat and game birds, a sampling of cheese, and dessert. I ended up choosing on the 5 course dinner, which included the duck proscuitto w/ figs and foie gras, roast maine lobster, pan seared filet, cheese, and the cr
Old 07-07-2004, 04:23 PM

yes, i've heard good things about Gary Danko and have always wanted to try...but getting reservations is quite difficult, or at least it was a couple of years ago...
Old 07-07-2004, 05:05 PM

One of the top 3 places I've had the pleasure to eat in the city. I would say Acquerello is probably still tops on my list (not going out on a limb there I guess ), but Danko's is not far behind.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am priveleged to be a member of a small group of friends (all in the food professsion) who have dined together once a month for the last 13 years. Never in the same place twice, I will add. We have been to every type and cuisine including hole-in-the-wall burrito joints up to Chez Panisse. One that we have yet to sample is Gary Danko. There is one outstanding reason...one of the rules is that the dinner responsibility rotates amongst the participants, meaning selection, reservations, and payment. Not one of us is affluent enough to float dinner for 6 at Gary Danko!

But thanks for the review, which echoes those I have heard from others fortunate enough to experience this restaurant. Very well-written in keeping with the quality of the dining experience described!

Probably not a candidate for the next S2k get-together????
Old 07-07-2004, 11:39 PM

I'd love to go there sometime. Sounds like the kind of service/food I got at the Ritz Carlton's Dining Room.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:06 PM

for some cheaper but very good food, try Chez Panisse Cafe