California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Dining in Monterey???

Old 07-17-2002, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dining in Monterey???

My Mom is coming out to visit and we will be heading to Monterey and I was wondering if I can get some recommendations on restaurants. We will probably be there all day, so I'm thinking lunch and dinner. Money is not an issue, but I am not looking to spend a lot just for the hell of it. Basically, looking for best value(quality and quantity) for the dollar.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2002, 05:22 PM

I highly recommend Roy's at Spanish Bay for dinner. It's technically one of the Pebble Beach resorts, so it's not in Monterey, but it is on the peninsula. Make reservations for ~30 minutes before sunset - a bit pricey, but you won't regret it. Plus you get to do 17 mile drive without paying the $7

Jimbo
Old 07-17-2002, 07:34 PM
dbw

roy's is always a good bet....if you have the time ,the weather is nice, and mom doesn't get carsick, head on down hiway 1 to big sur and lunch at ventana's...not soon to be forgotten!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have found the Sardine Factory overrated but it does have some ambiance and high snoot. A bit farther up on the Bay near Pacific Grove is the Bath House. I have not been to Roy's at Pebble but if it is as good as the ones in Hawaii or SF it is gonna kick your a$$ for sure. If you don't mind chains the Chart House on Cannery Row has a great location and does well with steak and a salad bar.

Actually our all-time favorite (we used to live in PG) was The Clock in Downtown Monterey but it has changed a couple times since then. I used to run The Whaler near there but it looked kinda sad the last time I drove by

If you lunch down the coast check out Ventana (as Dave sez) or Nepenthe; food is good but the coastal ambiance is the main attraction. Gorgeous.

Drop by Sly McFly's on Cannery Row for a drink and check out the automotive stained glass windows.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:42 AM

I like Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Here's what www.mapwest.com/dining_drinking/ htdocs/scenic_views.html has to say about it.

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company - Restaurant & Market - Monterey
Website URL: www.bubbagump.com

The fun restaurant with down-home warmth! On the waterfront, Bubba Gumps has entrees including shrimp, crab legs, ribs, steak, pasta, burgers and sandwiches - something for everyone! Fun decor with memorabilia from the major motion picture "Forrest Gump". Even a retail shop with clothing and souvenirs!

Hours: Open 7 Days

Address: 720 Cannery Row Monterey CA
Old 07-18-2002, 09:58 AM

Just my humble opinion here but our visit to Bubba Gump was extremely forgettable.....tourist trap to the max. Of course our kids were with us at a time in their little teen-age lives that they would have rather been boiled in oil along with those shrimp than to spend time with the oldies.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:39 AM

I'll second Bob's Nepenthe suggestion as it also includes a short drive down the coast. If a short drive down the coast isnt in the cards then I'd recommend Cassanova's in Carmel. Small Italian villa atmosphere and excellent food.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:59 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep 'em coming. I'll be checking this post all day and night.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:37 PM

Kind of off the hizzle but the best Mexican food in the area is Rosita's Armory across from the Nat'l Guard Armory in downtown Salinas. The field workers come in for lunch...it is very authentic and extremely reasonable. Watch out for the peppers in the little bowls on the table...muy caliente.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:16 PM

In case you haven't gone already...

I highly recommend Roy's in Spanish Bay. The last time I was there I walked right past John Travolta [who goes there frequently, I'm told] and at the table next to me was Rick Pitino, of University of Kentucky and Boston Celtics fame [and now Univ of Louisville -- boooooo]. Needless to say, the food is quite good too.

-DD-

Quick Reply: Dining in Monterey???