California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

The debris field known as 101

Old 03-02-2001, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uggh.. someone deposited a metal ribbon on 101 sometime this morning.. Traffic was suchs that I had no option but to try and slow down a bit and hope it didnt do too much damage.. Ended up with a couple of nice pits and scratches in the bumper cover.. Uggh.. Might be time to get Honda to repaint the cover because of the small peeling issue.

It should be a criminal offense to have stuff drop off the back of your truck and to not pick it up and any damage you stuff causes is your fault..
Old 03-03-2001, 08:55 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Patrick, glad it wasn't more serious. I've heard plenty of nightmare stories about debris on all bay area freeways, believe me 880 and 680 are as bad or worse. I personally hate the dual gravel trucks spitting sand and rocks in a wake 2 lanes wide behind them. There are laws but essentially unenforceable. It's apparently the price you pay in an booming area like ours. Pax
JohnA
Proud driver of one of the world's finest "pure" sports cars,
and an old beater truck for my commute up and down 880!
Old 03-03-2001, 11:57 PM

sorry to hear about this pellis, I've lost three windshields on 880, but 101 lately has not been nmuch better. Ah the risks of the urban jungle...
Old 03-04-2001, 07:47 AM

I lost a windshield on the stook on 680 near Mission, no safe highways anywhere in the area. What a circus getting that replaced.
JohnA
Old 03-04-2001, 09:47 AM

now have a nice chip in the windshield (right in the driver's line of sight) from 101.

it's like driving in downtown dallas or something...
Old 03-05-2001, 06:41 PM

I've got the windshield pitting. Damb gravel trucks running up 280 in the morning.

Speaking of things falling off trucks ... I was driving to SJSU (around 280S and 17) around 2P last month. Traffic was moving around 80mph. A gardening truck, 2 cars ahead, lost a pick axe. The axe went under the Maxima in front of me. The Maxima kicked the axe up and out. I jerked out of the way. The car behind me got it right in the hood. I couldn't see where it went after that. The guy in the truck didn't even notice. Both cars had to had $1000s in damage.
Old 03-06-2001, 07:58 AM

Few years ago, on 280N in San Jose, a similar thing happened to me. A metal box fell off the back of a pickup truck in the next lane and it bounced and hit my front corner. I couldn't get out of the way because there was traffic in the next lane. By the time I realized what heppened, the pickup was long gone, the driver probably didn't even know what happened.
Old 03-06-2001, 09:46 PM

Guess what happened today. Getting on the San Mateo bridge from the Hayward side this afternoon to make a sales call on the peninsula, I hear a noise like a rifle shot and there's a star on the passenger side of the winshield where the "rock?" hit the size of a silver dollar. I have NEVER seen a star this large. Looked like a rock or a bolt was kicked up by the truck that was just in front of me in the right hand lane. It happened where all the construction is just past the toll booths.
JohnA
(Sure glad I was driving the old beater pickup and not the stook)
Old 03-06-2001, 10:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnA
[B]Guess what happened today. Getting on the San Mateo bridge from the Hayward side this afternoon to make a sales call on the peninsula, I hear a noise like a rifle shot and there's a star on the passenger side of the
Old 03-07-2001, 12:53 AM

bbs- you picked your s2k up at penske? me too! Its funny how many people up here buy their s2ks elsewhere and bring em back to the bay area. Haha, soon we will possess them all!

Quick Reply: The debris field known as 101