California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Dealership scam: Dublin Honda and Pleasanton Acura

Old 08-28-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership scam: Dublin Honda and Pleasanton Acura

So, a few of my co-workers got their regularly scheduled maintenance at Dublin Honda and Pleasanton Acura recently. It appears that in their zeal to survive, they're turning to tried and true scams to cheat unsuspecting people out of their money.

The current scam they're running now is that "your engine mounts need to be replaced. They're cracked, broken, blah blah blah, etc." All 3 of my co-workers are middle-aged non car people, with only moderate miles on their vehicles, that all service their vehicles religiously at these dealerships. All of them hear that their engine mounts need to be replaced in the SAME week. Coincidence?

I'm sure that most of us on here never go to the dealership, but for those that do, or are just lazy about maintenance, note that unless your car is vibrating noticeably, you do not need engine mounts.

end rant.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:43 PM

I went to Oakland Honda one day. Turns out I had a coolant leak

I'm super anal about my car, and know what to look for when something is leaking. There was no stains on my driveway/garage, and nothing on the engine block.. you can eat of my block

They just wanted their $$.. I was pretty disgusted by it to say the least. I do all my own maintenance, and for the stuff I'm too lazy/too scared to do, it'll go to Joey (tranny/diff fluid change, valve adjustment) but that's not for another 10-15k..
Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 PM

idk... Dublin honda has been good to the s2ki community..
Have you personally seen the engine mounts? were they perfectly fine?
I doubt they would stoop on their integrity just to make a couple thousand bucks..
Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF??? 3 different cars all "needed" their engine mounts replaced? What a scam! Is it the Dublin Honda right by the military training/housing installation? Camp Parks?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by lewiS2K,Aug 28 2009, 12:47 PM
idk... Dublin honda has been good to the s2ki community..
Have you personally seen the engine mounts? were they perfectly fine?
I doubt they would stoop on their integrity just to make a couple thousand bucks..
I've ridden in vehicles with cracked mounts, I know what it feels like. Their vehicles did not feel that way.

As far as their integrity is concerned, this was my sole experience with them for an oil change:

I called and asked how much an oil change would cost for my car: person on the phone says $50.

I come in and speak with a service rep, who says to go the express line for an oil change, and tells me that the oil change is $55.

Lastly, I get the oil change done, and when I go to pick up, it is now $60. Enraged, I politely pay them their money. They won't be seeing me again.

For reference, their oil change for my HONDA costs more than it did for my 2008 Infiniti G37 that came with a loaner car.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:00 PM

Why don't you give me their names, and I'll give the GM at Dublin Honda a call. Pleasanton Acura is not part of the same group.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=herrjr,Aug 28 2009, 12:57 PM] I've ridden in vehicles with cracked mounts, I know what it feels like.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Aug 28 2009, 01:00 PM
Why don't you give me their names, and I'll give the GM at Dublin Honda a call. Pleasanton Acura is not part of the same group.
Will send PM with info. Vu.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by herrjr,Aug 28 2009, 01:57 PM
As far as their integrity is concerned, this was my sole experience with them for an oil change:

I called and asked how much an oil change would cost for my car: person on the phone says $50.

I come in and speak with a service rep, who says to go the express line for an oil change, and tells me that the oil change is $55.

Lastly, I get the oil change done, and when I go to pick up, it is now $60. Enraged, I politely pay them their money. They won't be seeing me again.

For reference, their oil change for my HONDA costs more than it did for my 2008 Infiniti G37 that came with a loaner car.
What was the work quoted for on the paperwork?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by lewiS2K,Aug 28 2009, 01:01 PM
so you do understand why many of us opt out not to go to dealerships...

I would have expressed my anger... politely but firmly .....

sorry to have doubted you, but i felt like i had to give them the benefit of doubt...
I understand, and I hate going to dealerships.

However, since I buy a new car every year or so, I find that having dealer maintenance records help me maintain my resale value, so I generally go to a dealer so that I can prove to any future buyer that my car was dealer maintained. I find that it helps me to reduce my already considerable loss related to depreciation.

Quick Reply: Dealership scam: Dublin Honda and Pleasanton Acura