California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

CTTD TA discussion aka CityTech Time Attack

Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CTTD TA discussion aka CityTech Time Attack

First off who's down for next years time attack?

What would you want to see change
Old 12-18-2013, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll try to make to most of them! so far i think the time attack is great but it might be more fair to develop a point system to put car in class.

speaking for my buddy, it would be nice to add 86 cup
Old 12-19-2013, 03:49 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

I will definitely make as many events as I can.

1. As others have already mentioned, allowing ECU tuning for street class so people can use FlashPro.

2. There was talk about combining BMW and S2000 but I think that is kind of a bad idea. There are plenty of S2000s and hardly any BMWs.

3. Groups based on lap time is a good idea I think rather than Advanced, H. Inter. etc. It would be a good idea to always provide lap time benchmarks for people when they are signing up for a run group.

4. Basic instruction for people on how to avoid spoiling other people's laps as part of the driver's meeting. Going over how to stay off the racing line at the appropriate time and so on. If you know someone is faster than you from an earlier session, let them go out ahead of you at the start of the session. Numbers and car description on the time attack printouts would help with this.

5. One of the Thunderhill events hosted as a time attack only track day with run groups based on the classes and lap times. I suppose this is only possible if enough people participate.

6. FR-S/BRZ Cup
Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by NS2000
i'll try to make to most of them! so far i think the time attack is great but it might be more fair to develop a point system to put car in class.

speaking for my buddy, it would be nice to add 86 cup
Awesome and you're probably right and it may go this route at some point but I think they wanted to keep things fairly simple to start with. I'll bring it up to them but I think the points system will be a difficult one where some people may deem certain items higher or lower value. It would probably be something that we'd have to come up with as a group as well.

If there's enough 86's that show up then I'm sure they'll do something. Z's are also trying to get a TA going but there's usually only two or three out there which isn't enough.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by andrewhake
I will definitely make as many events as I can.

1. As others have already mentioned, allowing ECU tuning for street class so people can use FlashPro.

2. There was talk about combining BMW and S2000 but I think that is kind of a bad idea. There are plenty of S2000s and hardly any BMWs.

3. Groups based on lap time is a good idea I think rather than Advanced, H. Inter. etc. It would be a good idea to always provide lap time benchmarks for people when they are signing up for a run group.

4. Basic instruction for people on how to avoid spoiling other people's laps as part of the driver's meeting. Going over how to stay off the racing line at the appropriate time and so on. If you know someone is faster than you from an earlier session, let them go out ahead of you at the start of the session. Numbers and car description on the time attack printouts would help with this.

5. One of the Thunderhill events hosted as a time attack only track day with run groups based on the classes and lap times. I suppose this is only possible if enough people participate.

6. FR-S/BRZ Cup
Awesome and next year is going to be super fun with you in the mix.

1. I think this might happen

2. I think they might be trying to save the BMW class dunno for sure but I'll try and find out.

3. It was definitely improved from BW but BW was definitely out of the norm.

4. Edwin and I were talking about this at the last T-Hill day, what happens when two people are on their lap with one being slower than the other?
For your fast lap I was thinking about running your high beams for that lap but I'd guess we'd all be running our high beams on the first or second lap. The warm up lap is usually what I use to let people go by that are faster and sometimes slower than me. It does take time to get to know people and cars.
With the new timing we'll be able to see it pretty much right away on our phones so I'm not sure if there's room but I'll ask to see if the info can be added.

5. Don't think there would be enough cars but that would be cool. I did like the TA only sessions, maybe they can do that? I'll ask

6. Not enough cars
Old 12-19-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1387457362' post='22929943
6. FR-S/BRZ Cup
6. Not enough cars
They are sitting in dark parking lots on weekend nights. Not drivers.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Yup, most of these 86s and BRZs are still fairly new and under factory warranty. So many of them at meets but not enough on the track and mountain roads.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to try and make most of them.

Enforcing the rule barring ECU tuning in street class is almost impossible and nobody is gong to take the time/effort to check every car every time so why even have it? I heard a rumor that there were people breaking this rule this year.... did you hear anything about that, Mac?

Basing run groups is a good idea as long as they are all advanced level drivers who are aware of their surroundings and know how to safely pass and get passed.

I love the idea of taking a minute or two in the drivers meeting or something to explain how to not ruin someones lap. There will always spoilage no matter what, but making people more aware that some people in the group are in a time attack challenge and want a clean lap should help reduce how much its happening.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Originally Posted by macr88' timestamp='1387471720' post='22930290
[quote name='andrewhake' timestamp='1387457362' post='22929943']
6. FR-S/BRZ Cup
6. Not enough cars
[/quote]
Speaking of dark places, when is the big winged monster going to join in on the fun.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by darkfalcon
Originally Posted by TougeHorseman' timestamp='1387472871' post='22930321
Yup, most of these 86s and BRZs are still fairly new and under factory warranty. So many of them at meets but not enough on the track and mountain roads.
Is the type s conversion going to join in on the fun?

Quick Reply: CTTD TA discussion aka CityTech Time Attack