California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Cost to repair/replace rear bumper

Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st thing is, did you even report it to your insurance company? That would be the best bet because I have AAA. AAA guarantees the work of any recommended AAA body shop on their list. Now the party that hit you, I don't think their insurance company will do the same for you. I say report it to your insurance asap and let them handle it. That's what you're paying them for right?

2nd I think that her insurance company trying to keep her good drivers discount because of something small is bullshit. If you hit someone you have to face up to the consequences. Sorry I've been in two hit and run accidents, me being the victim, and have no remorse for those who cause accidents.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 PM

i agree, she hit you, causing damage to your car, why should she deserve to keep a good driver discount if she cant stop her car doing less than 10 miles an hour...file through your insurance and report that
Old 05-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by trainwreck
So an old lady rear ended me yesterday going about 5-10mph on 101 during stop and go traffic. The cosmetic damage is not severe at all. It is just a screw indentation the size of a dime and a few scuffs/scratches. Her insurance agent wants me to get an estimate to possibly work out a side deal so I dont report it as an accident, and in turn she will save her "good driver" discount.

My question is, what does it cost for a hassle free perfect repair/replacement for a rear bumper in GPW. The agent wanted me to get an estimate, and told me if its under $800, he would take care of me. Also, is there any structural areas i should look at beyond the cosmetic outside of the bumper? From what i can see, all the body panels are still aligned.

Any thoughts/estimates/experience?

I know a new bumper is 350 without paint and labor. keep in mind, her insurance is gonna take care of it, so high end estimates are welcome. Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you are near capital express way, look up Blossom Valley Collision, they are an awesome shop
Old 05-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilazngrl4o8
Originally Posted by Noodler' timestamp='1306360561' post='20615568
Acura Honda connection

How are they as a body shop? I went to them once to have them look at code my S was throwing and they were super helpful and saw me on extremely short notice.
I had them fix my rear ended civic last year, they matched the paint super good.

after ahc
Old 05-25-2011, 04:54 PM

my car is at Kuykendall's auto body in sunnyvale right now. they have been treading my car like a queen!

hit them up if you want, 408 730 5044 Tracy.

Kuykendall's is big money though, if you want it right, this is the place
Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by rydelow
1st thing is, did you even report it to your insurance company? That would be the best bet because I have AAA. AAA guarantees the work of any recommended AAA body shop on their list. Now the party that hit you, I don't think their insurance company will do the same for you. I say report it to your insurance asap and let them handle it. That's what you're paying them for right?

2nd I think that her insurance company trying to keep her good drivers discount because of something small is bullshit. If you hit someone you have to face up to the consequences. Sorry I've been in two hit and run accidents, me being the victim, and have no remorse for those who cause accidents.
I haven't reported it to my insurance yet, but i have contacted her insurance. What a headache, right before vacation too... But, i took a look at it today in some better light and it looks like there are some hairline cracks in either the paint or the plastic, so I think i will definitely go through insurance and i will get a brand new rear bumper assembly including the absorber parts. Just a PITB to take the car in for estimates and what not.

doing a quick search on google for average cost of bumper in a 5mph collision, turns out it is $1700. a far cry from $800.

anyone know if it is true that there is a VIN in the rear bumper? Ideally, i would like to keep the car all original with matching VIN.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't factor in the fact that this lady is trying to save her "good driver" discount. She caused an at-fault accident, thus she is not qualified to keep that perk. So the priority goes to you getting a brand new bumper, not her maintaining an insurance perk. See if you can milk the insurance company for a rental car, etc, while your car is getting fixed. You might as well go all out! Get a quote from Honda dealership, and every single recommended paint shop on this forum and go with who you are most comfortable with.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 AM

I might be in the minority here. But I tend to want to help her out to keep her good driver discount and get it fixed as long as she pays for the repair. I think $800 is plenty for a good repair of the bumper. Contact Phil at Almaden Collision in San Jose. Tell him Andrie sent you.

Look at it as your good deed for the day. And hopefully she'll pay it forward. It is an accident after all. I hope someone will do the same thing to me if accident happens to me.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:33 AM

Do you have any pictures of the accident?

If the accident was really at 5MPH, I don't think it would cost $1700 to fix the damages. You will probably want a new rear bumper and the best paint job possible, but that should be the extent of it. My S2000 was hit a few months ago and had a tail light cracked / bumper scuffed, but the body shop said the damage wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be. I needed a new tail light, new bumper, but the bumper system in our cars are designed to absorb minor little accidents and bumps unlike older cars. If you take off the bumper and look yourself, I'm sure you'll find that nothing behind the bumper was actually damaged. The foam is there to protect the beam which is there to protect the rest of the chassis.

That being said, I think $800 is still a bit low. I'm sure the insurance company was trying to lowball you in hopes that you would settle for a lesser amount. Going to insurance was the right idea.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 AM

I had the exact same thing happen to me a month ago. She paid me the $1100 on the estimate instead of going through insurance.

Quick Reply: Cost to repair/replace rear bumper