California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Cost to repair/replace rear bumper

Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost to repair/replace rear bumper

So an old lady rear ended me yesterday going about 5-10mph on 101 during stop and go traffic. The cosmetic damage is not severe at all. It is just a screw indentation the size of a dime and a few scuffs/scratches. Her insurance agent wants me to get an estimate to possibly work out a side deal so I dont report it as an accident, and in turn she will save her "good driver" discount.

My question is, what does it cost for a hassle free perfect repair/replacement for a rear bumper in GPW. The agent wanted me to get an estimate, and told me if its under $800, he would take care of me. Also, is there any structural areas i should look at beyond the cosmetic outside of the bumper? From what i can see, all the body panels are still aligned.

Any thoughts/estimates/experience?

I know a new bumper is 350 without paint and labor. keep in mind, her insurance is gonna take care of it, so high end estimates are welcome. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I think you'll find it costs you another $500 to get a good paint job.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trainwreck
So an old lady rear ended me yesterday going about 5-10mph on 101 during stop and go traffic. The cosmetic damage is not severe at all. It is just a screw indentation the size of a dime and a few scuffs/scratches. Her insurance agent wants me to get an estimate to possibly work out a side deal so I dont report it as an accident, and in turn she will save her "good driver" discount.

My question is, what does it cost for a hassle free perfect repair/replacement for a rear bumper in GPW. The agent wanted me to get an estimate, and told me if its under $800, he would take care of me. Also, is there any structural areas i should look at beyond the cosmetic outside of the bumper? From what i can see, all the body panels are still aligned.

Any thoughts/estimates/experience?

I know a new bumper is 350 without paint and labor. keep in mind, her insurance is gonna take care of it, so high end estimates are welcome. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Okay this happened to me last year in my DSM RSX type S. Cost me $735 in the end to have the bumper removed, the hole filled, and the cover repainted and reinstalled. That cost included clear coating, color matching, labor to remove the parts, etc. Keep in mind DSM is a much harder color to mix up then GPW and I think the RSX bumper is a bit harder to remove *shrug*. Sorry to hear about the accident regardless, no one was hurt hopefully. Also from my extensive experience with insurance agents / companies (MUCH) be careful about doing ANYTHING under the table. You don't owe this lady anything and you don't want to end up with a botched job and no guarantee they'll make it right. What body shops are you looking at? I can recommend some good ones and some ones to stay away from at all costs if you like.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could remove the bumper cover if you wanted to check for additional damage. In the end, $800 isn't enough for me to not report it as your repairs cost will likely be that much and you won't be covered if you find additional damage, unless of course you are just going to pocket the money and not fix it.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
You could remove the bumper cover if you wanted to check for additional damage. In the end, $800 isn't enough for me to not report it as your repairs cost will likely be that much and you won't be covered if you find additional damage, unless of course you are just going to pocket the money and not fix it.
Exactly what he said!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Any good shops?

I just want my car to return back to normal before it was hit. It grates on my mind when there is something even remotely wrong with the car. I might just go through the normal channels. I need the job done right.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Acura Honda connection
Old 05-25-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trainwreck
I need the job done right.
Then go through insurance and find a high end shop to do the work.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Noodler
Acura Honda connection

How are they as a body shop? I went to them once to have them look at code my S was throwing and they were super helpful and saw me on extremely short notice.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by trainwreck' timestamp='1306358586' post='20615477
I need the job done right.
Then go through insurance and find a high end shop to do the work.
any recommendations in the South Bay or Peninsula? How is M&S (listed in the links sticky?)??

Quick Reply: Cost to repair/replace rear bumper