California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Cool 2005 GPW NSX with HRE wheels

Old 08-24-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lee's Summit!? Hot damn, that's my home town.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know about you guys but if I were given a choice to pick one free car between GTR, R8, GT3, Z06, Viper, NSX-T, I would have to choose NSX-T because it wouldn't cost a crazy amount to maintain the car and also that's the closest body to resemble a Ferrari and the lustrous, bright, deep blood red color. That's just my taste and I'm sure everyone has their own taste when it comes to choosing a love one also. Lol
Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
How is the NSX a unique exotic car again? Not here to hate or anything, just would like to hear your own reason. From NSXPrime, I have gathered numerous reasons: "The engine is in the middle = Exotic" .. "The car is made out of exotic materials" .. and "It looks like a Ferrari." Needless to say, I was not getting many good reasons from them.

I agree with shehatezme, though. The car is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. It's just shocking how much these cars are priced at and also the lengths owners will go to defend the price they paid.

The GT-R commands the premium because it's a new(er) car and it's actually a bargain for a car that competes with more expensive cars. The NSX is a great driver's car (one of the best), but I probably need to spend more seat time in one.

Ben said it best that ANY car is worth only as much as someone is willing to pay for it. In the end the seller can ask any price, but the buyer has the right to say no and move on. Problem is many buyer's won't / can't move on because there is only so many cars available (hence limited). Then they come on forums to rag about a car because they won't pay the price. If situations were reversed I'm sure you would ask the most you can too - it's simple economics.

As for why the NSX is exotic, we all have an opinion. Many would agree a Viper is exotic but it's not mid-engine? To many a Vette will never be exotic until it gets a mid-engine but I consider the Z06 Vette and Viper to be exotic cars.

You clearly are judging whether a car is exotic by it's performance hence you put the GTR in that category. Many will argue it's NOT exotic, just a fast Japanese sports car. We can go on and on about what is and isn't exotic but I think you already listed 3 key ingredients from Prime that many use to determine exotic'ness (is that even a word? haha)

I'm not here to defend what I paid cuz for my NSX - it was and still is a bargain to me and I'm happy. But when it comes time to sell it if that day comes, I will ask whatever I want and will wait for that needle in the haystack buyer.

Some of you may have seen my s2000 FS ad for $52k, some people disagree but I could care less, it's my car, my money and I put a number on what I think it's worth. You recently sold your car and I'm sure you got a number you could live with as well or you did not sell the car. Everything in this world has a price tag number, just not everyone will agree what it is.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you sold your s for $52k yet?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ex NSX owner here, 92 bb, 02 update. Bought in 2004 for 20k sold in 06 for 23k lol. Love it simply for its resale value. Its no exotic but a fun and balanced car . Gtr is not exotic... But i predict the car will hold its value later down the road.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:39 AM

^I agree with you on resale value, not many cars can do this off the top of my head besides the MKIV Supra, a few rare BMW's and the NSX. If I'm missing any please chime in!

However I would have to disagree with you on the GTR holding their value especially early 09/10 models. Most of those lack the updates and unlike the NSX, it's not as easy to get all the factory enhancements without spending TONS of money. Plus the NSX is a simple Honda motor that any garage monkey can work on for the most part.

The GTR requires a ton of expensive and modern tools to work on the car. This is the exact reason why you see so many used ones for sale while the owners are all trying to jump into a 12/13 model if they are financially capable as the MSRP has gone up $20k roughly. Most old ones are close to their warranty expiring and from my buddies who own GTR's this is not a car you want to have out of warranty if possible.

If they stop production in 2013 the value might one day hold up but still will never match the NSX (at least not in our lifetime).

A dealer is selling a 2013 Black Series for asking $96.5k with 800 miles on the clock which is $10k OFF MSRP for 800 miles, ouch!

P.S. Before you guys think I'm bashing the GTR, I am seriously looking at buying one so I do admire what the car is as a 2+2 sports car. Perfect for my current situation. Definitely going to buy a used 2013 model though so it's great to see resale value dropping as a 2nd hand buyer.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTR would be a good pick up Rick. I want a GTR but my Co-worker has one (first year model) and have said that the computer went out in his and it cost about $5K to replace everything in the dash! Good thing he got an extended warranty. What are some updates from the 2013 that makes it so much better than the 2010?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by shehatezme
GTR would be a good pick up Rick. I want a GTR but my Co-worker has one (first year model) and have said that the computer went out in his and it cost about $5K to replace everything in the dash! Good thing he got an extended warranty. What are some updates from the 2013 that makes it so much better than the 2010?
Wow that is so lucky he had the warranty, these new high tech cars are just a nightmare in terms of electronics if anything goes wrong like your friend found out.

I'm not expert but I've been reading up a bit on the good/bad of the car from real owners. It seems the 2012+ models have much better launch control, ECU, suspension and aero refinements plus of course much more horsepower that is stock from the factory so no warranty issues. The idea is you can mod an old one to be fast but why do that if you can get a new one with all the refinements plus warranty. This is one of those times where patience gets you a better product.

We are lucky that the s2000 / NSX cars are no longer made and thus the value has somewhat flattened out for the used market.