California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

The "convertible wave" vs. "s2000 wave" ?

Old 09-04-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Default The "convertible wave" vs. "s2000 wave" ?

So I find myself frequenting Miata.net, BARF, and a few other forums in addition to s2ki. It seems like for some people, there's a certain politics of performing "the wave:"
  1. E.g. for Miatas, there seems to be trouble across the generations--NA's are apparently the older enthusiasts and often the friendliest and most likely to wave... NB's are 50/50 for the wave, and NC's are seen as the newest, youngest generation who are the least likely to propagate the wave. (Imagine how funny it would be if AP2 drivers were too snobby for AP1 drivers!)
  2. BARF and other motorcycle forums--the consensus seems to be that most Harley/domestic riders don't like to wave at the rice rockets/imports and vice versa.
  3. And then there's the guys (like me) who wave across makes/models...

I personally wave at ALL convertible drivers, from Miatas to s2000s to Porsches. Even non-roadsters like the Chryslers out there. But I don't think I've ever gotten a wave back from any of them (yet)--mostly just weird looks or indifference.

How do you wave? ... Interesting stories/comments?
Old 09-04-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I used to ride skyline and hwy9 a lot, 50% of the Harley riders would give the low to ground wave to me. BMW and the snob ducati owners never waved. So I always did a wheelie on them lol

You have to remember some riders like to keep both hands on the bars while riding. Some think it's pointless to wave just cause. I actually waved to a group draggin knee going up woodside. I have to say that was my best wave hahaha

S2000 waves are hit or miss. But I usually get the deuces thrown back if I initiate it.

Now waving to all convertibles is just weird lol

BARF is, I'm sorry to say, not the same as it used to be. Back in 05 it was a cool community. After 05 shtf. I know other members on calguns who rant about barf all day if I mention it lol
Old 09-04-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rydelow
Now waving to all convertibles is just weird lol
I don't know, I started waving at Miatas when driving AP1 because I see them around more often than s2000s.

Then I saw Porsches and BMW's and waved at them too. Then I saw a few non-roadsters like Chryslers and I felt like an ass/snob because... What? I can wave at a Miata or BMW but not at a Chrysler? So I just wave at everyone. Equal Opportunity Waving.

But no one waves back
Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 PM

As a motorcycle rider,, I give the shocker down low (not for any special reason or because I think it's THAT cool, but because, just like you, people rarely wave back anyway...and giving people the shocker is fun)

As a niche car driver (both an S and a MINI), which I'm convinced is all I'm ever going to drive, I think it's supposed to be mandatory. There should be education about "the wave" to prospective buyers while they're at the dealerships.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:13 PM

I don't wave. I toss up the V or give a head nod.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rydelow
BMW and the snob ducati owners never waved. So I always did a wheelie on them lol
Old 09-06-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaPhatty
that usually works best for me

Originally Posted by -outkast-
Originally Posted by rydelow' timestamp='1315178951' post='20943464
BMW and the snob ducati owners never waved. So I always did a wheelie on them lol
Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 AM

I stopped waving to other S2k's because I would NEVER get a wave back.

When I had my WRX, the Suby crowd always waved back.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually try to throw up the deuces or wave to say hi, but its probably only 60% of the time the other driver responds back. There are a lot of S2K drivers on the road that are not on the boards or probably just dont care, lol.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by DaPhatty

Quick Reply: The "convertible wave" vs. "s2000 wave" ?