California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Considering move to CA - Looking for any referral for IT job

Old 03-14-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Considering move to CA - Looking for any referral for IT job

Hi guys,

I am currently in the DC area but I fell in love with the area and am considering moving. I currently do web application development in ASP.NET MVC, Bootstrap, jQuery, AngularJS, I like any JavaScript frameworks and can pick things up fast. Thanks, please post up or PM!

Kevin
Old 03-14-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Bay Area is FULL. Please try again later.

Oh well, what's another one. lol Aside from personal referrals, check Craigslist.org and LinkedIn. Good luck. DC is expensive, but it's a whole other world out here. Bring your wallet.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:34 PM

There's a LOT of IT opportunity here. I don't even know where to start.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Just apply, shouldn't be hard if you're actually decent at any of the things you mentioned. Try hired.com if you haven't already.

Also, it's not called IT out here if you want maximal bang for your buck. Pick a word and add engineer/developer/etc. to it.

ie:
Software Engineer
Web Developer
Software Developer
JavaScript Engineer
Angular Engineer
Front End Developer
Front End Software Engineer
.NET Application Developer
etc.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by dagle
Also, it's not called IT out here if you want maximal bang for your buck. Pick a word and add engineer/developer/etc. to it.

ie:
Software Engineer
Web Developer
Software Developer
JavaScript Engineer
Angular Engineer
Front End Developer
etc.
This^

As my gf found out, one critical trick is to get plenty of written comments from co-workers and bosses/employers on LinkedIn. The actual LinkedIn comments, ESPECIALLY WITH THE RIGHT KEYWORDS makes a world of difference.

Also, make sure your resume has all of the pertinent keywords in it, and you have a resume/cv available on whatever sites you used. As far as using either this group, or any other group, try to find a real human contact that can get a hold of the hiring manager.

Lastly, make sure you're going to the conferences for your specialty. I know it's impossible in a normal full-time job (unless your boss is hella cool), but it makes a world of difference in getting visibility in the sea of people looking.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:46 PM

Just apply, shouldn't be hard if you're actually decent at any of the things you mentioned. Try hired.com if you haven't already.

ie:
Software Engineer
Web Developer
Software Developer
JavaScript Engineer
Angular Engineer
Front End Developer
etc.
From my understanding IT encompasses several layers of positions. Thus a generalized term.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
The Bay Area is FULL. Please try again later.

Oh well, what's another one. lol Aside from personal referrals, check Craigslist.org and LinkedIn. Good luck. DC is expensive, but it's a whole other world out here. Bring your wallet.
Yeah, I have seen some of the rental prices LOL. What's a good average salary for someone with 5-8 years experience?

Originally Posted by RainyDayLeo
There's a LOT of IT opportunity here. I don't even know where to start.
Any specific companies you know of that I should look into?

ie:
Software Engineer
Web Developer
Software Developer
JavaScript Engineer
Angular Engineer
Front End Developer
etc.
Point taken, I was choosing a more generalized term for my title, but yes, I would probably be looking for software Engineer or Web Application Developer. And yes, I know I could just apply but I was wondering if anyone had any specific companies or contacts to start with.

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Originally Posted by dagle' timestamp='1458020108' post='23908726

ie:
Software Engineer
Web Developer
Software Developer
JavaScript Engineer
Angular Engineer
Front End Developer
etc.
This^

As my gf found out, one critical trick is to get plenty of written comments from co-workers and bosses/employers on LinkedIn. The actual LinkedIn comments, ESPECIALLY WITH THE RIGHT KEYWORDS makes a world of difference.

Also, make sure your resume has all of the pertinent keywords in it, and you have a resume/cv available on whatever sites you used. As far as using either this group, or any other group, try to find a real human contact that can get a hold of the hiring manager.

Lastly, make sure you're going to the conferences for your specialty. I know it's impossible in a normal full-time job (unless your boss is hella cool), but it makes a world of difference in getting visibility in the sea of people looking.

Originally Posted by RainyDayLeo' timestamp='1458197172' post='23911098

ie:
Software Engineer
Web Developer
Software Developer
JavaScript Engineer
Angular Engineer
Front End Developer
etc.
From my understanding IT encompasses several layers of positions. Thus a generalized term.
I have only recently been to So Cal a few times, and only been to Northern Cal once as a teenager, but I know there are more tech opportunities in the Bay area/ SF. So I am broadening my search to anywhere on the California coast haha.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

5-8 years of experience in production software environments calls for 120-200k depending on your portfolio/work history accomplishments and what you can do for individual organizations. (ie: fixing something in an MVC setup vs. architecting a maintainable MVC setup for a team of engineers). If you're exceptional, the ceiling's potentially higher.

Angel list lets you message hiring managers (there's always software jobs for startups):
https://angel.co/jobs

Hired.com lets you do a code challenge for a job. (You can get a job offer without an interview):
https://www.hired.com

And in regards to my suggesting you add developer/engineer to your title, it's purely to get picked up more favorably to recruiters/HR who have no idea what the difference is between helpdesk guy and a data architect. Just my 2 cents as a guy who works on HR software daily.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

And in regards to my suggesting you add developer/engineer to your title, it's purely to get picked up more favorably to recruiters/HR who have no idea what the difference is between helpdesk guy and a data architect. Just my 2 cents as a guy who works on HR software daily.
+1 for this^. Your first 1-3 "rounds" could entirely be automated depending the who/what/where/when involved with the hire.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Kevin,

I am a technical recruiter working with many companies here in the Bay. Please feel free to email me a copy of your resume.

Thanks,

Scott
Snguyen@ryzen.com

Quick Reply: Considering move to CA - Looking for any referral for IT job