California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Computer Parts Advice

Old 02-05-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thejohnremus,Feb 4 2008, 06:57 PM
500 what?

gigs?

I went with the smaller harddrive for the speed and cache I wanted. sacrificing the extra space wasn't too much of a concern since I have the drives from my old systems to now run as backups
500 watts
Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 PM

also, if you need to get a new power supply, might as well get a new case like my roswell (it came with a adequate power supply) that has good air circulation
Old 02-06-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Antec and LianLi make some really nice cases. I do prefer the Lian's though. Here's my main gaming rig in a Lian Li case. Radiator has been changed to a larger one since I took this pic.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:40 AM

I have the same Lian Li. I build my new comp on a Antec, and quality doesn't even come close to my Lian Li. It was expensive though.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by invisibleS2k,Feb 5 2008, 11:53 AM
Mac is the way to go
So I got to play around with a MacBook Air today for about 2 hours.

Caveat. I am not a Mac fan, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I was so annoyed at the fact it doesn't have an Ethernet jack. There were no unsecured wireless networks in my vicinity and the range on the wireless seemed less then the other notebooks I've used before, so I couldn't hop on any of the secured wireless networks I have access to. I went to go plug in the Ethernet cord, and I was like, damnit, this thing doesn't have an Ethernet jack.

It definitely feels nice and the screen size is pretty decent, if slightly lower resolution then I prefer. The screen is also as flimsy as you can see in the commercial. I would be just a little afraid using it on a plane and having the person in front of me recline their chair into the screen. The hinge action did however feel very nice and smooth. I loaded a picture that I have that has a lot of vibrant colors to test with. Sharpness looked decent, but color brilliance/saturation seemed a little low.

The touch pad is huge, though I found myself only using the middle 50% of it because using the edges of the pad required me to move my hand. It was just easier to lift my finger up and slide it over then to move my whole hand.

I went to go plug in a USB flash drive, but since the USB port is actually on the underside of the notebook, you have to flip open a hinged cover that basically makes the USB port flush with the desk, so there wasn't enough clearance for me to plug the USB flash drive in. Another

Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 AM

yeah

the ONE usb with flip down port is a huge complaint for people. it renders most wifi and bluetooth cards unusable too

it needs some work..
Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=00S2K01S4,Feb 6 2008, 10:34 AM] Antec and LianLi make some really nice cases.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:56 AM

ok, gonna bump this thread one more time. looks like i'm set with the list that mod monkey put together (thanks again), cept i'm going with a faster processor that's going 3.0 ghz.

optical drive, case, and peripherals are gonna stay the same.

what's the difference between these 2 cpu's and why is the seemingly newer/faster one more expensive?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

cache
Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Feb 6 2008, 12:09 PM
So I got to play around with a MacBook Air today for about 2 hours.

Caveat. I am not a Mac fan, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I was so annoyed at the fact it doesn't have an Ethernet jack. There were no unsecured wireless networks in my vicinity and the range on the wireless seemed less then the other notebooks I've used before, so I couldn't hop on any of the secured wireless networks I have access to. I went to go plug in the Ethernet cord, and I was like, damnit, this thing doesn't have an Ethernet jack.

It definitely feels nice and the screen size is pretty decent, if slightly lower resolution then I prefer. The screen is also as flimsy as you can see in the commercial. I would be just a little afraid using it on a plane and having the person in front of me recline their chair into the screen. The hinge action did however feel very nice and smooth. I loaded a picture that I have that has a lot of vibrant colors to test with. Sharpness looked decent, but color brilliance/saturation seemed a little low.

The touch pad is huge, though I found myself only using the middle 50% of it because using the edges of the pad required me to move my hand. It was just easier to lift my finger up and slide it over then to move my whole hand.

I went to go plug in a USB flash drive, but since the USB port is actually on the underside of the notebook, you have to flip open a hinged cover that basically makes the USB port flush with the desk, so there wasn't enough clearance for me to plug the USB flash drive in. Another

Quick Reply: Computer Parts Advice